Which of your freedoms were taken away

billcoe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bush is so intelligent, explain his rejection from UT Law (his only non-legacy application). Although it is a fine law school, surely UT would be safety school for a legitimate Ivy league graduate.

You need to acquire some reading comprehension skills.

If you yourself are so intelligent, why can't you manage to spell Senator Kerry's name, or ad nauseam.

1. it's bad netiquette to nitpick typos.

2. there was another Democrat a few years ago with the name Kerrey. Sorry that I don't care a wit about the latter fellow to remember how to spell his name versus the other. Damn those folks at Ellis Island for their inconsistency.

3. nausea - yes indeed a Latin first declension noun. It is disappointing indeed that of the 6 languages I know, I could not remember if it was a masculine or feminine noun. At least I remembered that the preposition "ad" governs the accusative case. I'm sure you know all of this of course, being so brilliant. :lmao:

Boasting about membership in an undergraduate honor society is comparable to wearing a high school letterman jacket past age eighteen.[\quote]

Not a boast, you fool. Crux's snide comment could only be interpreted by the fact that during the .com era many software developers were coming straight out of highschool or community colleges. Those that entered the industry with BS degrees were often from lower tier schools, and, in general CS departments allow their graduates to be unidimensional people - dropping general requirements like foreign languages, the humanities, and so on.

Membership in Phi Beta Kappa requires a liberal arts education, and I shot down Crux's jibe with a quick one-liner. Unfortunately that was wasted on a mental midget such as yourself, and I had to give a more lengthy explanation so you might understand the point. I'm sure it is wasted effort anyways, but it's mildly entertaining.

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence...

Not true at all.

Statistically, there is a strong correlation between intelligence and higher education, especially post-graduate degrees. The correlation is even stronger w/r/t tier-one schools. And I'm sure Bush's credentials compared to those of a huge chunk of the participants on this forum will bear those statistics out - with only a very few counterexamples. But, taking that aside, Bush's malapropisms and mangled statements are no worse than those of the average smug, arrogant, Bush-hating detractor on this internet forum. And it's ironic to listen to some vitriol spewing dimwit with no higher education dismiss Bush's educational pedigree as "meaningless" (a la No. 13 and Adam 13).

Bush's intelligence or supposed lack thereof has been discussed ad nauseum both here and elsewhere. The fact is, he is a highly educated man with above average intelligence. He's obviously not in the 99th percentile but I don't really want a quantum physicist running this country (or our dear Gary Yngwe for that mattter) for the very reasons stated by you - high intelligence often does not map to practicality in the real world. But you can be damn sure that neither Gore nor Kerrey is much different in intelligence than Bush (in Huxleyan terms they are all typical BETAs and nothing more). To state otherwise is a laughable claim easily explained away by rose-colored glasses tinted by political group-think.

Correlation between higher degrees and intelligence yes, but it's neither causative or necessary. You could probably find quite similar correlations between wealth and advanced degrees, and parents/children with advanced degrees again with no causative/necessary connections. And while high intelligence does not always map to the real world practicality I would imagine that highly intelligent people probably have the same distributions of practicality/common sense as anyone of moderate intelligence. (After all, I would say Clinton was both intellectually brilliant, and had enough practicality/common sense to function extremely well both socially and diplomatically as the president.) And your right, Gore/Kerrey may not be significantly more intelligent than Bush.

However I would be willing to bet that they would be more likely to listen to rational arguments from opposing viewpoints, and less likely to appoint/mandate people who only agreed with their agenda/politics.

I think the intelligence of the president is secondary to his ability to select and listen too good advisors chosen for their technical expertise and not necessarily party allegiance. Unluckily the impression I have of the Bush administration is not one of technical impartiality and a tolerance for diverging viewpoints, but one driven by cronyism and the necessity of toeing the Rove/Bush Party Line, and anyone who disagrees can pack their backs.. Granted their will be some degree of this in any administration, but from my admittedly limited perspective the level of cronyism/tolerance of divergent viewpoints in this Administration seems excessive. He may be the decider, but it seems that he often has his mind made up well before he has any facts to back up his decisions, then any inconvient facts are just ignored.

in general CS departments allow their graduates to be unidimensional people - dropping general requirements like foreign languages, the humanities, and so on.

Membership in Phi Beta Kappa requires a liberal arts education.

Unluckily this is true of the majority of technical programs I've come across (math, science, engineering, etc.) :( Really f-in sad. We're graduating people who understand a very narrow technical field, but have little broader education or understanding of their/our place in the world/history. Makes them easy targets for anyone with a broader education and understanding.

Granted their will be some degree of this in any administration, but from my admittedly limited perspective the level of cronyism/tolerance of divergent viewpoints in this Administration seems excessive.

Yes, yes, I've heard this all before. Bush is just the worstest, dumbest president ever!! Really!

Until the next guy comes along that the left (or right) dislikes. Then that will be the new worstest president ever.

3. nausea - yes indeed a Latin first declension noun. It is disappointing indeed that of the 6 languages I know, I could not remember if it was a masculine or feminine noun. At least I remembered that the preposition "ad" governs the accusative case. I'm sure you know all of this of course, being so brilliant. :lmao:

The LEXICON of this man....

Six languages...and he's a moron in every single one of them.

You mean the guy with the Bachelor's from Yale and the Master's degree from Harvard?

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence. That said, I've known some folks with advanced degrees that I wouldn't trust to manage a McDonalds. An advanced degree says absolutely nothing about your level of common sense or your ability to apply classroom based knowledge anywhere but in the classroom.

And if you'd like i'd be more than happy to give you my credentials :P

Yet many here, including Foraker and Tvashtarketena, are more than happy to support their anti-Bush positions with their (claimed and perceived) academic prowess. What is apparent to me is that those with higher ed degrees are sometimes the least likely to see fault in their arguments despite their self proclaimed critical thinking abilities. At some point critical is supplanted by cynical, and there doesn't seem to be any way out of the box. Bush is no genius - certain. But in this case, it was particularly galling to listen to a couple of douche bags (likely one-in-the-same, the "13" brothers) bash Bush's intellect when they are so clearly and glaringly deficient themselves. Ditto, glassgowkiss.

You mean the guy with the Bachelor's from Yale and the Master's degree from Harvard?

Advanced degrees are much more about persistence and stubbornness than intelligence. That said, I've known some folks with advanced degrees that I wouldn't trust to manage a McDonalds. An advanced degree says absolutely nothing about your level of common sense or your ability to apply classroom based knowledge anywhere but in the classroom.

Yet many here, including Foraker and Tvashtarketena, are more than happy to support their anti-Bush positions with their (claimed and perceived) academic prowess. What is apparent to me is that those with higher ed degrees are sometimes the least likely to see fault in their arguments despite their self proclaimed critical thinking abilities. At some point critical is supplanted by cynical, and there doesn't seem to be any way out of the box. Bush is no genius - certain. But in this case, it was particularly galling to listen to a couple of douche bags (likely one-in-the-same, the "13" brothers) bash Bush's intellect when they are so clearly and glaringly deficient themselves. Ditto, glassgowkiss.

I don't support an 'anti-Bush' agenda. I support a 'pro do-the-right-thing' agenda. So far, I have yet to see much in that category from this administration.

Plus, how do you know I don't just have an 7th grade education? It wouldn't take much more than that to correctly assess this presidency as a failure.

I don't support an 'anti-Bush' agenda. I support a 'pro do-the-right-thing' agenda. So far, I have yet to see much in that category from this administration.

Plus, how do you know I don't just have an 7th grade education? It wouldn't take much more than that to correctly assess this presidency as a failure.

Clearly you're a pretty smart fella. In this particular case, I just think you're wrong. There are plenty of bumblers, warmongers, idiots, playboys, paranoids, racists, that have sat in the oval office. There are also a very, very few great men that have had the honor. I think history will judge Bush as a mediocre president.