Pope convicted by his "peers"

pope

The "defer to the judgments of the guy who has the hardest free-solo" argument is rather odd one forward given that the number of climbers who are superior in this respect to both the Pope of twenty years ago, much less the Pope of today, who have no problem with bolted sport climbing is greater than zero.

You, JayB, aren't qualified to comment here. But your statement is so incredibly stupid, I feel obligated to remind you that never in any of my posts (including this one) will you find me stating that climbing ability carries weight in ethical debates. Yet the number of times wankers on this site have stated that we should defer to hang-dogging 5.13 climbers regarding the legitimacy of sport climbing is......"greater than zero".

This beer-induced, late-night post was simply a reaction to the notion that pope's peers are convicting him. Again, I ask, "What peers?" BTW, the summer I soloed 30 pitches before lunch (up to 5.10c at Castle Rock, Snow Creek Wall and Givler's Dome) was not twenty years ago (more like 12). Regardless, these climbers you mention who are superior to pope.....you ain't among them. Not today, not twenty years ago (if you were even out of diapers). I can out-climb you on your best day and I could out-drink you right now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed this subject line on the recent Ken Nichols thread. Joke. Got news for you kids, you ain't my peers. Not until you've done this:

BOY!! for a scrawny little pipsqeak of a guy POPE really knows how to pump his ego....beat that chest bro :lmao:

Cease the adulation and commence with the BJ.

Posting pics of yourself soloing moderate routes and bragging about them? I hope your[sic] trying to be funny.. I need to find that pics of myself[sic] hiking out in the woods the other day. I soloed some hard wet trails..

Hope you didn't graduate from high school. Moderate routes? I'll bet it would take you three days to complete the circuit I did in five hours. Have you even climbed Brass Balls? Again I ask, "What peers?"

The "defer to the judgments of the guy who has the hardest free-solo" argument is rather odd one forward given that the number of climbers who are superior in this respect to both the Pope of twenty years ago, much less the Pope of today, who have no problem with bolted sport climbing is greater than zero.

You, JayB, aren't qualified to comment here. But your statement is so incredibly stupid, I feel obligated to remind you that never in any of my posts (including this one) will you find me stating that climbing ability carries weight in ethical debates. Yet the number of times wankers on this site have stated that we should defer to hang-dogging 5.13 climbers regarding the legitimacy of sport climbing is......"greater than zero".

This beer-induced, late-night post was simply a reaction to the notion that pope's peers are convicting him. Again, I ask, "What peers?" BTW, the summer I soloed 30 pitches before lunch (up to 5.10c at Castle Rock, Snow Creek Wall and Givler's Dome) was not twenty years ago (more like 12). Regardless, these climbers you mention who are superior to pope.....you ain't among them. Not today, not twenty years ago (if you were even out of diapers). I can out-climb you on your best day and I could out-drink you right now.

Yes, but climbing is but one measure of a man, and I have no doubt life provides you with no small number of rather stark reminders of this fact rather more often than you'd like.

Yes, but climbing is but one measure of a man, and I have no doubt life provides you with no small number of rather stark reminders of this fact rather more often than you'd like.

Reeeeach....

I'm not sure how to grade my solo climbs. I sure as hell never solo climbed 5.10b but I did solo the NW ridge of Sir Donald. I know it's only a wimpy 5.4 but its really long and I did down solo the whole thing.

Please don't be harsh on your grading. :cry:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RUBBING SHOULDERS WITH THE GREATNESS CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD. WHILE PERHAPS UNDER-APPRECIATED, WE ARE GRACED WITH THE PRESENCE OF A LIVING LEGEND WHO TRULY IS PEERLESS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN THE REINS TO STEER THE CLIMBING WORLD TO A GREATER GOOD BASED ON HIS PAST AMAZING AND FRIGHTFUL FREE CLIMBING ABILITY ALONE. THINK ABOUT IT! THIS IS SOMEONE WHO NOT ONLY HAS THE BALLS TO FREE CLIMB TO HARDER THAN YOU EVER WILL, BUT ALSO IS WILLING TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT. SUCH MEN ARE FEW. THANKS FOR LETTING ME HANG OUT WITH YOU ON THE ONLINE CYBER WORLD MR. POPE. I WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES AND TALES OF YOUR EXPLOITS SO I CAN VICARIOUSLY LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM FROM THE SAFE CONFINES OF MY PEANUT SHELL. MORE PLEASE!! MORE! :tup::tup::tup:

Priceless

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RUBBING SHOULDERS WITH THE GREATNESS CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD. WHILE PERHAPS UNDER-APPRECIATED, WE ARE GRACED WITH THE PRESENCE OF A LIVING LEGEND WHO TRULY IS PEERLESS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN THE REINS TO STEER THE CLIMBING WORLD TO A GREATER GOOD BASED ON HIS PAST AMAZING AND FRIGHTFUL FREE CLIMBING ABILITY ALONE. THINK ABOUT IT! THIS IS SOMEONE WHO NOT ONLY HAS THE BALLS TO FREE CLIMB TO HARDER THAN YOU EVER WILL, BUT ALSO IS WILLING TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT. SUCH MEN ARE FEW. THANKS FOR LETTING ME HANG OUT WITH YOU ON THE ONLINE CYBER WORLD MR. POPE. I WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES AND TALES OF YOUR EXPLOITS SO I CAN VICARIOUSLY LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM FROM THE SAFE CONFINES OF MY PEANUT SHELL. MORE PLEASE!! MORE! :tup::tup::tup:
five seconds.