The world is now a better place

Alpinfox

I would "speculate" that the hatred espoused by members of this forum against Christians, Bush, and a myriad of others exemplifies intolerance and makes this world a much worse place to live in.

You can speculate all you want. But when those who preach intolerance and genocide die or when the governments of treasonous felons fall, I can only cheer. Falwell was a racist, a liar, and a thief - he was among the very worst of who we are as a nation. In this particular case, it's like I said before - the deader, the better.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The responses posted here have been interesting insights into individual character.

I gotta agree with Mr. Fairweather, there be a WHOLE LOT OF HATE being expressed here.

Jerry Falwell would probably tell you that he didn't "hate anyone"; he seemed to be of the "love the sinner, hate the sin" variety. Ironically, he probably had a lot less hate in him than many of the people posting here! The man certainly had some standards that were apparently different from many of those contributing their joy to his death.

The guy was entitled to his opinion, JUST LIKE YOU, and if you think democracy and a free society are so great, than you have to put up with his stuff JUST LIKE HE HAD TO PUT UP WITH YOURS. Or, we can just subscribe to a curious form of liberal fascism and shut him down because we don't like what he says because his views don't fit the parameters of our particular version of the "open and accepting" paradigm; kinda like the old "I don't tolerate intolerance" paradox.

Go ahead, spew your hate, love-pretenders! There....feel better now?

Hippy.jpg

I don't think anyone here is claiming to be love-all-hippies, at least I know I am not, that is for damn sure. As for Falwell being from the doctrine of "love the sinner, hate the sin", I think is streching it quite far. I agree he was welcome to have his own views and beliefs and should be alowed to express them. And I have the same right. He was an asshole and won't be missed by me.

As for flipping this all around and posing the question, "how would you like it if people were saying the same shit about you when you go?". First off I am sure that won't happen, hell there might be one or two, but for the most part I try to live my life and allow others do the same. Also, I don't believe that I will really care since I will be dead. I don't buy into any after life, well I guess I do, it's call rot.

Pardon my ignorance, I never paid him or any other televangelist much attention, but did he really hate people? I don't doubt he may have been off his rocker and said a lot of foolish things, but "hate" is such a buzz-word that's way overused these days when it's not always very accurate. I just get peeved at the equating of hatred to the belief a given action is morally wrong.

Of course he never hated anyone. He loved gays. That's why he wanted to bring them to Christ.

Get real, motherfucker. The guy was a world class bigot who tirelessly employed his wealth, celebrity, and political influence to cause a shit load of innocent people a whole lot of harm. The end of his miserable, regrettable existence should make us all breath that much easier.

And you gotta love Spray's two most rabid, cement filled tire chained dogs whining about all the 'hate' (which is actually nothing but good old satire and homage to the universe's infinite capacity for farce, but then again you can't squeeze black humor from a pea brain); the same 'poor me' tactics you hear from, say, the likes of Frist et al when their cockroach behaviour is exposed to the light of day. What a couple of pussies.

KKK: you join up yet?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I'd say that Falwell discredited the set of beliefs that he stood for far more effectively than any of his most rabid critics ever could have, so if you count yourselves amongst those who opposed his viewpoints, you should mourn his death for the simple reason that an unintentional champion of your causes has passed on. I didn't count myself amongst his fans, but recognized that he had a certain utility.

But when those who preach intolerance and genocide die or when the governments of treasonous felons fall, I can only cheer. Falwell was a racist, a liar, and a thief - he was among the very worst of who we are as a nation. In this particular case, it's like I said before - the deader, the better.

Last night on Anderson Cooper, they interviewed a gay preacher who was a member of Falwell's church in Virginia. Needless to say, Falwell shunned his gay lifestyle, and the man worked diligently against his attitude. But the man felt that Falwell was honest and sincere, though wrong about homosexuality, and didn't *hate* the man. He was also sad for Falwell's family and friends at his passing.

You could learn something from him.

Again, he was a racist to the bitter end and stole millions from the flock in numerous televanglism and religious theme park scams with the the Bakkers, all the while preaching hate and division. He lied endlessly about his credentials, his financial dealings, and his enemies. The thing to learn from Falwell is just how much damage one man in front of a TV without oversight can do. That he lived as long as he did and continued to do damage until the day he died is the saddest aspect of his life as far as I'm concerned. Were there a god or had justice ever been served on him he would have died in prison.

This world will never see an end of Good and Bad Men, nor the war of opinion of who belongs in which category.

That's the truth.

I never agreed with Jerry, but I knew he represented the opinions of a lot of folks out there. In the end there's nothing wrong with a debate about the right view on things.

He never organized an army and tried to kill the people he didn't agree with.

Edited by AlpineK

Pardon my ignorance, I never paid him or any other televangelist much attention, but did he really hate people? I don't doubt he may have been off his rocker and said a lot of foolish things, but "hate" is such a buzz-word that's way overused these days when it's not always very accurate. I just get peeved at the equating of hatred to the belief a given action is morally wrong.

There are those who do not consider the opposite of love to be hate. They espouse the belief that the opposite of love is indifference--a lack of emotion that can lead to far more damage than something like hate. Those of us who show indifference to people like Falwell (people who are intolerant of others or those who try to further marginalize less-powerful groups) may actually be causing more damage than those who stand up and speak out against folks like Falwell.

Falwell blamed 9/11 on gays and lesbians. no love for hater. better off dead.

Whom do you blame? Muslims? Arabs? America? Western Values? Religion in general? Who do you hate? And should I celebrate when you and Alpinfox one day both fall to your deaths?

well said. See everyone else's shit but can't see there own.

On Sept. 11: "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way—all of them who have tried to secularize America—I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.' "

On AIDS: "AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals."

On homosexuality: "I believe that all of us are born heterosexual, physically created with a plumbing that's heterosexual, and created with the instincts and desires that are basically, fundamentally, heterosexual. But I believe that we have the ability to experiment in every direction. Experimentation can lead to habitual practice, and then to a lifestyle. But I don't believe anyone begins a homosexual."

On Martin Luther King Jr.: "I must personally say that I do question the sincerity and nonviolent intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mr. James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left-wing associations."

On Martin Luther King Jr., four decades later: "You know, I supported Martin Luther King Jr., who did practice civil disobedience."

On public education: "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again, and Christians will be running them."

On the separation of church and state: "There is no separation of church and state."

On feminists: "I listen to feminists and all these radical gals. ... These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men; that's their problem."

On global warming: "I can tell you, our grandchildren will laugh at those who predicted global warming. We'll be in global cooling by then, if the Lord hasn't returned. I don't believe a moment of it. The whole thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability."

On Bishop Desmond Tutu: "I think he's a phony, period, as far as representing the black people of South Africa."

On Islam: "I think Mohammed was a terrorist. I read enough of the history of his life, written by both Muslims and non-Muslims, that he was a violent man, a man of war."

On Jews: "In my opinion, the Antichrist will be a counterfeit of the true Christ, which means that he will be male and Jewish, since Jesus was male and Jewish."

-Jerry Falwell

Is it appropriate to hate an individual and dance on their unburied corpse just because you disagreed with their politics...

His efforts have set back basic human rights in this country. That is a real, concrete effect, not mere politicing in a vacuum. If he had preached love and tolerance for all, I might shed a tear at his passing, but this guy represents everything unchristian and evil about American evangelical "christianity".

Becuase he beleives in a principle different than you, you hate him. Your no different. Hypocrit.

On feminists: "I listen to feminists and all these radical gals. ... These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men; that's their problem."

Can somebody please tell me what time it is?

He never organized an army and tried to kill the people he didn't agree with.

Actually he did. He is one of the primary architects of the base that elected Bush and his felonious cabal. You can trace a direct line between Falwell's preaching and the flagrant and criminal extra-constitutional activities of the administration.

10:50

Spanking time. lol The guy had a few peanuts loose and a big mouth.