Anchor Stolen From Lovin' Arms

Doug T

Someone stole one of the hangers/chains from the top of the Davis-Holland/Lovin' Arms. I know that the person who did it must have had a real good reason to endanger everyone else who wants to climb the route. Those climbing the route should be warned that although you can rap with the glue-in bolt and separate chain, it does create a shock load situation AND your knot can get stuck on the bare bolt that's sticking out without a hanger (like it did to us today).

Maybe this is old news, but I haven't been on the route this year until today. Sad to see dirtbags still find Index as a place to steal hangers and chains for their own lame projects.

Doug T

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the top of Lovin' Arms, accesible by non-climbers, but this was a climber who stole it. A non-climber would have taken both chains.

As much as I like Index, there is at least one person with sociopathic tendencies who feels stealing half sets of anchors is an acceptable practice, and lessons the experience for others. I'd bet money it was the same lame-ass who stole half the Jap-Gardens first anchor.

The lesson here is to place anchors with bolts like the Petzl Long Life that have no nut to unscrew.

Over the years I've learned that there are bad people involved with every hobby and passtime that I participate in. They do bad things. Nothing I say will change their behavior. I take solice in the fact that they don't limit their bad things to their climbing (or other hobby) practices and that their bad judgement pervades their lives. These types end up losing half their pensions and homes in divorces, spend time in jail... you know, typical loser stuff.

If you know who did this, toss his rack in the trash and introduce him to paragliding or surfing... anything that stops this wreckless behavior towards others.

Doug T

maybe one of the quicklinks was loose or something (at least easier to take) and they couldnt loosen the 2nd to take it? i saw some non climbing folks up there over the weekend, which makes me think its possible that it was not climbers. theres a LOT of people that get to the top via atv's. i dont think its unrealistic to rule out non climbers...?

It is the top of Lovin' Arms, accesible by non-climbers, but this was a climber who stole it. A non-climber would have taken both chains.

(snip)

inference (n)-the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation.

I take solice in the fact that they don't limit their bad things to their climbing (or other hobby) practices and that their bad judgement pervades their lives. These types end up losing half their pensions and homes in divorces, spend time in jail... you know, typical loser stuff.

Getting divorced is something that some incredibly honest, caring, disciplined people have to go through. One can't always keep a marriage together by the strength of his/her own moral character. It takes two. I've never been divorced, but I resent your "typical loser stuff" comment.

A little off topic, aren't we?

How about I say it this way...

"I take solice in the fact that because they don't limit their bad behaviors to their climbing practices, these types end up losing half their pensions and homes in divorces because they only care for themselves , spend time in jail ... you know, typical loser stuff."

Again... I'm reminded why I rarely visit this site. I make some posts to let folks know about a potentially dangerous situation and mock the person who made it dangerous. In return I'm scolded for possibly offending people who read my statement meaning "divorce is for losers" in stead of "I take solice in them losing half of their pensions and homes".

To those out there who are of strong moral character and have divorced, I did not intend to call you a loser.

To those out there who steal anchors, Your future misery makes me happy.

Doug T

Doug T thanks for the heads up. This is lame but maybe there should be a marking on the bolts and anchors so that is a climber is stealing them (can't belive that a fellow climber is so lame) that if some one finds it on a new route/project they can then take them back and put it where it belongs.

No matter what it is lame that you can't leave anything and expect it to be there. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that bolts on a rock in a known climbing area might be important.

Edited by letsroll

• 3 months later...
Anchor status? Heading out tomorrow am.

Actually, hangers sold at MEC say Lucky on them (including ones I've placed). No engraving required, just change your cc handle.

I'm a fairly new climber and while at Leavenworth this weekend,looking up at all the anchors and bolted hangers I had one thought. For those that took the time , effort and expense(not a small one either)to make things nice for the rest of us.

Thank you and Bless you.

DH to LA today. What a fabulous route! Scrumpdelicious day!

:moondance::rawk: sickie :hcluv::brew::lmao:

All anchors are >= 2 bolts + chains. There is one hangerless stud in need of a wench and some screwing ;) at the very top of the cliff on Lovin Arms, but there are 3 other bolts nearby, 2 with chains. Also, there is a bolt 1/3 of the way up the '5.9R' last pitch of LH. There are also opportunities for natural pro on this short pitch so IMHO the R rating is no longer warranted.

btw, the walkoff is easy as pie.

:wave:

Nice update Rad. I must be getting to old, but there never used to be any bolts on top to rap from that I remember. You always had to walk/rap way off left. Perhaps its the revenge of an old timer (not me). I was plesently suprised to see the chains when I last did it - makes getting down so much nicer.