Cloudveil Clothing

dan_e

Anyone have any of their stuff and have comments on them or know if anyone carries that brand?

I just sold a Marmot gore-tex jacket and I am looking into a gore-tex alternative.

The 'Serendipity' jacket looks nice, but I would like to see it in person. The jacket is made with that Schoeller fabric, which some say works pretty well.

Thanks in advance,

Dan E.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Shadow Peak Vest (Windstopper Fleece Front - Schoeller Dryskin Back) Awesome Vest! Very High Quality and Durable. Sized a bit Large (normally I'm a perfect fit for a large, it fits a bit loose). As for the Serendipity , it's a really nice jacket, but - I'm not sure that's what you'd want for the Cascades - Dryskin doens't do well for either prolonged rain - or wet snow.Carl

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: cj001f ]

Thanks for all suggestions.

I don't just climb in the Cascades, so this would be for use anywhere that's suitable.

I still have and use gore-tex, this is not to replace my gote-tex gear. I sold an old Marmot Alpinist jacket which I never used, it was too heavy and had too many features that I never found useful.

I will check Feathered Friends to see what they have.

I too am searching for schoeller pants and (maybe)jacket. So far Cloudveil and LL Bean is the only company offering it in the US I can find. Apparently, the fabric just hasn't taken off in the US. I thought Cloudveils prices to be high. So if anyone has beta on where to find schoeller at a good price, let us know!!!

David, Try looking for schoeller pants from Patagonia, BD, and Arc'Teryx. I have a pair from Patagonia called the stretch guide pant. I like them but my only complaint is they have weak elastic in the waist. My brother owns the Arc'Teryx pants and he has the same problem I do with the waist/belt. I put suspenders on mine an it help, but I think that could be avoided with better desighn. Hope that helps

John

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:
I too am searching for schoeller pants and (maybe)jacket. So far Cloudveil and LL Bean is the only company offering it in the US I can find. Apparently, the fabric just hasn't taken off in the US. I thought Cloudveils prices to be high. So if anyone has beta on where to find schoeller at a good price, let us know!!!

You can order schoeller jacket and pants (2 kinds) from MEC for under a hundred bucks. They no longer ship climbing and ski gear to the US, but they still do ship their clothing. Only takes a few days for it to get to Seattle. The jacket is $125CDN (80$-85$ US?).Look on www.mec.ca under Mens->Activewear->Climbing

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: philfort ]

Dane:

After hearing my friend raving about her (Cloudveil) Serendipity Jacket for a couple of years and longing for my own for quite a while, I finally found one on sale at a local gear shop a couple of months ago.

My friend has used hers on winter ascents of Long's as well as for ice climbing and loves it. After a couple of months of use in all conditions I'm becoming a big fan. I did the West Ridge of Quandary Peak yesterday (class 3 scrambling if it's dry) and it performed incredibly well. I put it on over a capilene silkweight t-shirt at the base (strong breeze, high 30's, 10,500ft)and never had to add a layer despite being hit with strong winds (30-40mph, 20ish degrees, 14,000ft)and a ton of Graupel on the long ridge leading to the summit. I stayed warm as long as I kept moving but definitely had to throw the down on as soon as we stopped. The nice thing was that when I did stop I was not drenched with sweat like I would have been in a hard shell. Verdict - the jacket rules but if you can find a cheaper model elsewhere I think you'll be happy with that as well, as I think that the fabric is what matters most.

Here's another vote for the Bean Guide Pants. They were out of the bean catalog for a while but are back in now. I got mine last year and used them in the early spring in very wet conditions and found them great. I generally leave my bibs at home now. The fit is good and the pants have a built-in web belt that keeps them in place. Good pants at a good price.

Scholler Dryskin's a great fabric, I've worn a MEC dryskin jacket for two years now most every winter outing and it is great to not be inside a goretex sweatbox all day.

I've been using Patagonia's new Dimension jacket for the last coupla months, it's made with this new Dupont fabric that's like Dryskin on Steroids, it way outperforms my MEC Dryskin jacket in stormproofness, durability and water resistance- look for it right now in Patagonia's Regulator series coats and Marmot's Rock Suit- although the price is over $200 for the coats this is the best softshell fabric I've seen so far IMO.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Beck ]

Picked up Cloudveil's Serendipty jacket at Marmot yesterday, it was not cheap though and set me back $250.

They had another Schoeller Dryskin jacket there, I think it was from "Ibex". The main difference is the Ibex has wool for the liner and seemed a bit thinner. Overall the fit was better on the Cloudveil and it seemed warmer (in the store that is) than the Ibex and the wool is not as comfortable on bare skin.

I checked out MEC's Jacket online, the price was great, but I like the features better on the Cloudveil, especially the locations of the pockets.

We shall see how it does in the real world.

Dan E.

I got a Patagonia Dimension jacket not too long ago, and have unfortunately not been able to try it out in the mountains. I do, however, bike into work every day (and for most other transportation), so i can attest to its powers of anti-wetness. I rode a few uphill miles through a steady downpour with a poly t-shirt on underneath and arrived at home with only a small wet patch at the neck where the rain had drained off my face. Kick ass.

Also look into Cloudveil's IceFloe Jacket. Made with Schoeller it is the best jacket on the market for it's type. I have the Serendipity I picked up on a pro deal while working for an outdoor school based in Jackson and fell in love with Cloudveil products. The Snaz has followed me to some amazing climbing destinations and although it is missing pit zips, I felt it out performs any other shell I have ever worn. Maybe you want to support local businesses, but check out cloudveil's website and order directly from them. Usually, I find it is much cheaper.

I haven't had a chance to put the Icefloe jacket to the test, but plan on testing it on some steep winter ice soon. I don't know much about the Icefloe Bibs, but I am sure with Cloudveil's quality and construction, that it is well worth the $300 bones.

p.s. No, I am not a rep for Cloudveil....just a very satisfied customer

Hey Bronco, YOU RULE! And I don't work at no insurance company wink.gif" border="0

I have been on my way to fork over $250 to Feathered Friends for that serendipity jacket for, like, a month or something, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a jacket even if I had already decided to get one. And I was dead sure I'd never find those things on sale - but, they still had three left in small, color I wanted, at the Sierra Trading Post!

So, Bronco, YOU RULE, because you personally saved me $90. Whee. Your beer's on me if we run into each other at the pub or something. Ecstatic/stebbi

Last I checked - Pro Mountain Sports (Jim Nelson's shop) also carried some clothing made from Schoeller fabrics.

I don't think it is Schoeller but take a look at Outdoor Research (OR) - they make something similar. They don't have as good a distribution network for their clothing but I hear it works very well. I know someone who bought a pair of the Schoeller-like pants and he swears by it. Their Dryclime shirts (similar to the Marmot ones) also seem well made and reasonably priced.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
Mammut is coming out with a new Scholler jacket with a wp/b layer in it to compete with traditional nylon gore tex shells. check it out on their website
(I saw it in an ad in the British magazine On The Edge so don't know if its available in N Am or not)

Is this jacket on their website, I didn't see it?

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Is this jacket on their website, I didn't see it?

i dunno, i didn't look but it should be? its called the castor anyways.

i just looked and they havent updated the catalog, still last seasons stuff. sigh. happens all the time.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]