Chop the Ladder on Everest North Ridge!

G-spotter

Ladders are aid, worse than bolts

We received the following email from Kevin Thaw this week:

At the end of April Everest from the N side is pending. Leo "Irvine" Houlding & Conrad "Mallory" Anker are set to recreate the original journey for a film, removing the ladder and sending the second step to hypothesize on possible conquest of original pioneers? Many layers of media are coming out of the journey: I'm the satellite guy (internet dispatches) & presenter (BBC & PBS) for a TV show on the ascent and making of the film. All being well should have a clear view over the world during the first week of June then back to the UK to hide from Summer heat.

Kevin, JH, on yer marks get set.... GO!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got together with Conrad about some other, non-alpine business when he was in town last and he's as standup as his rep would suggest. I suspect if they take down any fixed stuff they'll leave it down.

Edit: though, on second thought they may need that stuff to get the IMAX camera up with them, that thing is a cow.

Edited by JosephH

conrad is a good guy.

Funny this came up. Recently we have had some bolting activity around bozeman that involves conrad. He is working on this area that is all basalt (not columns) edges, where you are only allowed to bolt ground up. There are some other rules I guess like on the first bolt you boulder up until you quiver and that is the high spot for the first bolt. Now before you bolt it, another person can challenge the route and by bouldering up higher and establishing a new high point for the route. It has turned out some pretty good routes as well as adding character to an area.

conrad is a good guy.

Funny this came up. Recently we have had some bolting activity around bozeman that involves conrad. He is working on this area that is all basalt (not columns) edges, where you are only allowed to bolt ground up. There are some other rules I guess like on the first bolt you boulder up until you quiver and that is the high spot for the first bolt. Now before you bolt it, another person can challenge the route and by bouldering up higher and establishing a new high point for the route. It has turned out some pretty good routes as well as adding character to an area.

This is a ridiculous and stupid for establishing "sport" routes. Sounds like a fun, but scary, way to hurt yourself...and an ego stroke (of which most climbing is anyways).

how hard are the established routes?

conrad is a good guy.

This is a ridiculous and stupid for establishing "sport" routes. Sounds like a fun, but scary, way to hurt yourself...and an ego stroke (of which most climbing is anyways).

how hard are the established routes?

Dunno, sounds like they're attempting to insure there is actually some sport left in them...

hence the quotation marks.

If it's going to be bolted, I'm all for that type of climbing and route development; I'm just curious how hard these new routes are? hand drill or power? pins, hooks, or other bolting aids OR drill from a stance? How high the first bolts are off the deck?

inquiring minds want to know mr ice send-bot.

Hand drill... hard men only!!!!

Usually the first bolt is a good 15 feet off the deck and up to 20+. The ratings are mostly 5.10 and harder and up to an unfinished 5.13. Yeah apparently it is meant to be one of those areas where sport is actually sporty. They are great routes, long all over 100ft and vertical to past with edges the whole way. And I am a big fan of sporty sport routes, this last easter weekend I got on the route to the left of bloody fingers at the city of rocks called "my new toy" 100 ft four bolts 10bish it was fun, i like. Kurt if you are wondering it is the good rock out by the black magic wall and another reason the bolts are high is to try a stop people from Dry Tooling them.