Chop the Compressor Route?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=333051

I'm sure some of you already saw this, but it is a pretty interesting situation. Lots of key players chiming in with their response. Seems that the yosemite crowd and the CO/UT crowd have pretty different opinions/allegiances.

Pretty screwed up. I wonder how the Argentines feel about all of that chicanery.

OH YEAH! BTW..... I'm going to chop all the bolt ladders on the Grand Wall today.....since it can be freed at a moderate .13b :lmao:

Here is a telling quote from Wharton (from climbing.com)

“I’m glad we climbed so much of the route without bolts. I’m also excited to see that the 120-meter headwall (in better conditions) will go with perhaps only 30 meters of aid—20 of which are the legitimate aid climbing of the Bridwell pitch. And I thought we did a great job struggling onto the top in horrendous weather. I’m disappointed, however, that in the end we took the easy way out, using the bolts to gain the top in what would otherwise have been unclimbable conditions. Human laziness and coveting the easy way to the top is a sad piece of the Compressor Route story, and although Zack and I nearly avoided this path, in the end we fell just short.”

A proud ascent, but as far as I'm concerned any further ethical debate about chopping the compressor route is completely hypocritical if it originates from either of these two climbers. If their ethics were genuine, they should have bailed when they could no longer proceed without Maestri's bolts.

Chop, Chop, Chop. Don't ever stop.

Anything that wasn't put up in perfect style should be chopped.

If you were stupid enough to try to climb it in EB's you deserve to have your route chopped.

Wankers.

shit........

Chopping the route is like trying to rewrite history for the sake of personal agrandisement. It's wrong.

So it should stand....what, as a reminder of what can happen when greed for the summit becomes more important than respect for the mountain's natural defenses? Are you saying that once a mistake is made it shouldn't be corrected? Sounds like you have more respect for the bolt trail than for the mountain itself.

Chopping the route is like trying to rewrite history for the sake of personal agrandisement. It's wrong.

So it should stand....what, as a reminder of what can happen when greed for the summit becomes more important than respect for the mountain's natural defenses? Are you saying that once a mistake is made it shouldn't be corrected? Sounds like you have more respect for the bolt trail than for the mountain itself.

Hey Pope when are you gonna head over to Colorado and fill in the carved bucket holes on Otto's Route with red-coloured cement?

Hey Pope when are you gonna head over to Colorado and fill in the carved bucket holes on Otto's Route with red-coloured cement?

Hey Dru, your brain is on vacation and your mouth is working over-time.

You don't think some American dude chopping huge bucket steps and installing a metal pipe via ferrata to a Colorado mountain is more worthy of your clean-up skills than an Italian route with a couple bolts and an in-situ compressor on a Chilean/Argentinian mountain?

You don't think some American dude chopping huge bucket steps and installing a metal pipe via ferrata to a Colorado mountain is more worthy of your clean-up skills than an Italian route with a couple bolts and an in-situ compressor on a Chilean/Argentinian mountain?

It's all bullshit. I don't have the time to correct either mistake. Shame on these a-holes, and shame on you for the worn-out cliché: this one is OK since that one is worse.

I'm not sure what the best thing is. I view that route as a historical marker to the old days.

Obviosly it wasn't done in the best form, but maybe it should stay there as a reminder of bad things done in the past.

whether you like it or not it is a bit of climbing history.

no. it should only stand until someone climbs it with fair means (whatever that is) by not using the bolts. otherwise, the climbers are more hypocritical than ever.

you ever clip a bolt pope?