Mike Layton's first ascent slideshow in pdx

bub

This Wednesday February 14th at 7pm, local climber and 2006 Mazama expedition grant recipient Michael Layton will be giving a sideshow on 1st ascents in North America at the Mazamas, 527 SE 43rd Ave (at Stark), Portland OR 97215.

Mr. Layton has traveled to Alaska, British Columbia, and the Cascades of Washington and Oregon to do 1st ascents not only on unnoticed classics in popular areas, but traveled deep into the heart of the Cascades to climb new routes on huge walls on distant peaks. All of his first ascent have been done in ground up alpine style with no bolts...and of course, no topo! Come and watch him recount these adventures put to music and beautiful slides and video footage.

Highlights of the show will be his epic Mox Peak climb, called "the most significant ascent in the Cascades is the past 50 years", and his recent ultralight forrays deep in the legendary Picket Range. Mr. Layton will be available after the show to answer questions. This is a great show for all lovers of mountains and nature!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the mazamas for the grant and the opportunity to go climbing. the slideshow was the least I could do. I left out the shock value that the mountaineers got last year. That's what you get for a free show. Basically you need to bribe me to give a G rated program.