[TR] Mt. Index - Index Peak Traverse 2/2/2007

Colin

Thanks John, it sure was a hoot. That first shot is looking back at the north peak I think. We started up it right around daybreak but did the main peak at night.

It wasn't particularly cold out but there was a little breeze that would have made any catnap real shitty. We did stop to heat some water and have a little picnic down by the lake on the way out.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitchin'

Bug will be bummed you didn't call him. He's been after that for years

(This was an 'off the couch' climb for me...)

My couch must be softer than yours.

Thanks for not calling.

You guys were smokin crack to do it that fast.

Thanks for the tr and pics!

Are those Petzl axes and crampons? Plastic boots?

Bivy sack? puff jackets? puff pants? Foam pad? Or did you guys just go ultra lite?

GU, cytomax, stove? Day packs or something heavier?

Can't recognize Colin with the beard.

To get that kind of time do you run on the trail?

Something I tried for the second time, and am now totally sold on for alpine climbing, is going leashed on the adze tool and leashless with a tether on the hammer. This allows for no pinky rest on the adze for good plunging, and quick dexterity and gear access on the dominant hand.

That sounds really smart. You guys must have been literaly flying to cover all that ground in sub-24. Nice piece of work.

Nice work guys... cooking with gas!

Because I have given up leashes period what I do (at least in the alpine) is in addition to putting a loop at the bottom of each tool to connect the spring things for ice leads I put 1 loop through the preexisting hole in the upper shaft of the adze tool only. On lower angle terrain I just clip the higher piece of webbing with my spring thing and can use the tool like an ice ax. Works great for me :)

I can post pics if this doesn't make sense.

Are those Petzl axes and crampons? Plastic boots?

Bivy sack? puff jackets? puff pants? Foam pad? Or did you guys just go ultra lite?

GU, cytomax, stove? Day packs or something heavier?

Can't recognize Colin with the beard.

To get that kind of time do you run on the trail?

Howdy Buckaroo,

Here are a few answers:

Quarks & Venoms, Sarkens & Switchblades, Civettas & Trango Extremes (?)

1 lightweight synthetic pullover for the 2 of us, Pocket Rocket & a small canister & mini-pot, 2.5 oz space blanket that I didn't tell Colin about

Gu and those Clif block deals, cashews, meat, 2 qts drink each, <10 lbs each total not including climbing gear

Training: Colin does a bit of climbing from time to time... I haven't been running since tweaking my back a couple months ago. Colin definitely did the work on this one.

You know if you think about it, to do the traverse in 2 days I think you'd spend about the same actual travel time as we did. I don't think we did it all that quickly (because of my fitness level) given we had almost no loads and had such fine conditions. Besides, the whole thing was way too frickin' enjoyable to be any kind of sufferfest! (Except for the painful, sore feet that is.)