Risk- why?

Phil Jones

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps she wants to live your life for you?

As for me, life is a terminal illness. Recognizing that and living in a way that brings ME joy and satisfaction is how I choose to live. I'd rather my loved ones pursue their passions, than living by whatever arbitrary code someone else dictates for them.

Perhaps you can realize that almost all lives are lived out balancing the desires of self with those of loved ones. That this world is the richer for lives lived that don't align with your personal parameters of appropriateness.

But, after reading your previous posts filled with similar admonishments (which reek of self-absorbed inconsideration for opinions on this matter that differ from your own), I doubt it.

Of course, if you don't care about the feelings of your family and friends, this won't matter.

Perhaps she just wants you to continue to climb, but do it in as safe a manner as you can.

I replied to her that different climbers have different levels of acceptable risk, pointing out how someone like Ed Viesturs, who certainly pursues a high-risk level of climbing, is famous for his mantra "getting to the summit is optional; getting down is mandatory," and how that has kept him alive by turning back many times within shouting distance of the summit. He has taken a lot of flaming for that attitude, but he is still alive while many of his critics are not. I told her that he is my role model and my level of acceptable risk is really pretty conservative.

I'd like to know when climbing became "Extreme" or a dangerous sport anyway???

Granted if I didn't climb my odds of dying while climbing are greatly reduced :) but I've never thought of climbing as being overly dangerous.

Yes I could rappel off the end of my rope and die but its no different than saying I could drive my car off the road at 65mph and die too. Just ain't gonna happen.

People just over think everything. Climbing is no more dangerous than Mt. Biking, Skiing, Hiking, Road biking, taking a piss, washing my hands, crapping on the toilet, farting... ok, maybe I went a bit far, but come on.

Perhaps you can realize that almost all lives are lived out balancing the desires of self with those of loved ones. That this world is the richer for lives lived that don't align with your personal parameters of appropriateness.

But, after reading your previous posts filled with similar admonishments (which reek of self-absorbed inconsideration for opinions on this matter that differ from your own), I doubt it.

DeChristo, you're just being your usual, intolerant self. How do you expect Mr. Jones to be anything but pissy with the better part of a broom handle lodged firmly up his anus?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Reinhold Messner once said something to the effect that climbing without risk isn't really climbing and risk is different for different climbers. He also said something to the effect that climbers should always climb within their comfort level, which again varies for different climbers.

Although there are many reasons why I climb, the pursuit of adventure is an important element for me. Every worthwhile climb requires route finding, judgement, and technical skill. Facing challanging conditions and situations, conducting risk assessment, and utilizing our skills and judgement to minimize the risk is part of the joy of climbing.

The pursuit of adventure can be difficult for non-climbers to understand and is often considered unfair to their loved ones. There is an element of "selfishness" in climbing, but I believe we have to pursue those activities that bring us joy even if it takes away from time with family and friends. For me, the key is to balance the time and energy spent on climbing with time and energy spent with family and friends.

DeChristo, you're just being your usual, intolerant self. How do you expect Mr. Jones to be anything but pissy with the better part of a broom handle lodged firmly up his anus?

I was as PC/safety-conscious as possible: selecting a straight, tight grain, sanding in stepped increments to 320 until uniform in smoothness, raised the grain with first application of love oil, sanded again, finished with liberal coatings of innocuous love oil speech, and penetrating gently, but firmly.

I was as PC/safety-conscious as possible: selecting a straight, tight grain, sanding in stepped increments to 320 until uniform in smoothness, raised the grain with first application of love oil, sanded again, finished with liberal coatings of innocuous love oil speech, and penetrating gently, but firmly.

Taking credit where credit is not due; another DeChristo signature.

It's apparent to everyone on this board but you that Mr. Jone's case of ash intibated ass is so well developed that it must be congenital.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Your chances of surviving a crash are much higher at 20 mph than at 70 mph. Why do people drive at the speed limit instead of at 20 mph on major highways? ;)

Umm, you've never tried to drive in the passing lane on Washington highways, now have you?

The motto here is:

"I can't drive 55."

Every day in the mountains is like opening a surprise gift.

Occasionally, however, you don't exactly get what you asked for.

BUT IF YOU CARRIED A PLU, THEN YOU WOULD GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED FOR.

Ooops, wrong Phil.

If Mr. James had carried a PLU and had activated it the day he was injured (Saturday, the 10th) he might have made it out alive.

"If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss, which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing else can approach, it also presents great dangers. It is not the goal of "grand alpinisme" to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of crawling grubs. "

Lionel Terray, French Alpinist

And, for a British take on the question, I recall this from a book by the veteran climber Sir Chris Bonington. He climbs:

for physical challenge

to face and deal with fear and risk

to appreciate the beauty of the alpine environment

for the camaraderie of your climbing partner(s)

for ego gratification

Methinks most every climber would agree to most every one of these reasons.

Ooops, wrong Phil.

If Mr. James had carried a PLU and had activated it the day he was injured (Saturday, the 10th) he might have made it out alive.

I don't know you from Adam, but I can tell you are a total dumbass. If Mr. James had a PLU with him, the past 10 days would have been spent knowing where he was and not being able to get to him. They would have found it with him in the snowcave right next to his waterlogged cell phone.

So that's it, huh? You just carry a magic controller, hit the button, and the cavalry is right there to save you?

No one can save you when you're On Deadly Ground. The mountain was Under Siege by the strongest rescuers and it didn't matter.

So take you're know-nothing advice and go piss up a flagpole.

Ooops, wrong Phil.

I don't know you from Adam, but I can tell you are a total dumbass. If Mr. James had a PLU with him, the past 10 days would have been spent knowing where he was and not being able to get to him. They would have found it with him in the snowcave right next to his waterlogged cell phone.

So that's it, huh? You just carry a magic controller, hit the button, and the cavalry is right there to save you?

No one can save you when you're On Deadly Ground. The mountain was Under Siege by the strongest rescuers and it didn't matter.

So take you're know-nothing advice and go piss up a flagpole.

Can't handle the truth, eh? Tsk tsk.