Raddest ice 1 day from road in North America?

Jens

Is the most impressive single piece of water ice that is one day from a plowed road in North America Lillooet B.C.'s "The Theft"? (When fully formed). I personally think it is more impressive looking (visually as I've never climbed it) than the trophy wall on Mt. Rundle, The stuff on the Stanley Headwall, or winter dance in Montana.

Who's gonna climb this thing this season?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two times I have been down bridge creek the theft hasn't had much ice on it. Never been to Hyalite.

I always thought Shreddie looked baddass and maybe even climbable by mortals.

Terminator is obviously spectalur but I'm going to go with Polar Circus because that much ice so close to the road is definetly RAD!

OK. Twist my arm. Here it is. In Newfoundland. This photo is only one short piece of about 1500 feet of similar ice plastered onto an overhanging wall by the wind. Those ice fingers are up to 6 feet long. It is a day from the road (just) if the conditions are perfect and you know where to go. Since the approach is from the top, we TRed what we could and it was crazy, wild. We figrued we better try to climb it ground up from the bottom the next day (you can hike with one rappel to the base) but thankfully the pressure dropped 1,000 ft that night, it started to rain and didn't stop for 6 days. We got trapped by the storm with no way to get home and after escaping the flooded frozen lake we were on, the four of us subsequently ran out of scotch, food and fuel, in that order. As far as we know it has never formed since - going on 10 years now. But when it does - pure WI 8 baby. The skew of the camera and the way the wind caused the water to hit the wall, this photo doesn't do it justice but most of those slabby looking patches are vert to overhanging.

Grade8.jpg