VW Purchases Cascade Crags

scot'teryx

http://cascadecrags.com/

Per Website:

The Vertical World has acquired Cascade Crags Climbing gym. Cascade Crags has a strong history of serving climbers and outdoor enthusiasts in the Everett area for many years and the Vertical World will continue this tradition. The Cascade Crags staff will continue to give you a high level of customer service, classes and training programs. We look forward to serving you as the Vertical World in Everett.

Please call us for more information

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, I thought it was only gri-gris for the TR. Alpinefox is a rockstar and would only go there to lead, whip, and boulder, so he would be expected to use his own belay device.

I actually like the pre-rigged gri-gris (Couloir, you're not expected to bring your own).

it sucks to pay one membership fee and have 3 or 4 gyms available, and that everett still has a climbing gym.

i always forget how to use an ATC because of those damn grigris - i keep dropping my partner, darn that vertical world.

mostly i wish the boulder problems were as hard as they are at SG! and that I could breathe more chalk dust at VW. i would also feel much better if my partner had a belay card on their harness and maybe if I could take my shirt off I could score a sweet college girl to take up the tooth. would you please get on that s%#t VW!

Aside from the fact I wouldn't drive to Seattle to go to a climbing gym, my objection is entirely personal. Rich Johnston, the owner, flat out ripped off a friend of mine for $18,000 in non-payment for gym construction. There was no question of quality, work performed, or ability to pay, it was simply because he could get away with it. This was for the gym down by the Fremont Bridge that was only open a little while before some software firm bought the whole complex of buildings for their "campus", giving Rich a huge profit in the process.

Vertical World: The Wal-mart of climbing gyms. the_finger.gif

Personally, I prefer my ATC to what I've heard about the gri-gri but don't mind learning to use the gri-gri, just don't like having it be required.

I'm also glad I just had a (phenomenal) indoor lead class as Cascade Crags. However, I hear VW requires 5.9 climbing for leads and I've only been climbing a few months, am not a solid 5.9 climber yet. This hasn't been a problem at CC because I've stuck to 5.8 or lower lead routes.

I'm also nervous about what this will mean for the staff at CC, hope their jobs are all secure. They're awesome people and have been great helping this n00b get up to speed.

I just hope that they will continue the tradition of the dry ice festival. It would also be super cool if they brought indoor drytooling to seattle.

When I heard about the deal pending several weeks ago, I was told that the first change was that the ice wall was going to be torn out. The emphasis for Everett was that it was going to be remodeled to be the premier bouldering mecca?

As for the gri-gri's, I like em' for the top-ropes because I often grab a newbie I've just met to belay me for Tr's. As for leading, you can use anything you like and I only have my buddies belay me. Dueling gym threads don't serve anyone well but I must say that VW has a deep base of people that climb all styles from the highest mountains to the crags and the VW kids their have proven their meddle on European soil against the best and perhaps climb harder than any adults here in WA at onsighting. Picking a gym may be like apples and oranges for you. It's all about fun!

I've always loved the VW. The staff is friendly and the routes are usually good.

I don't think the VW is the wal mart of the climbing world. They offer the employees benefits unlike wal mart and they don't sell all that silly crap.

For those of you that only use a non gri-gri belay device that's like saying you only know how to use a manual vehicle verses an automatic vehicle. There's benefits to both. I've never owned one myself but I know how to use one and it makes for an easier indoor climbing time.

Life is full of experiences. It's a shame that you only try something once and make an option based on one experience. Did you like broccoli as a kid? I didn't but I sure do like it now.

Open up your minds and your body will follow. cantfocus.gif

...It's a shame that you only try something once and make an option based on one experience. Did you like broccoli as a kid? I didn't but I sure do like it now.

Open up your minds and your body will follow. cantfocus.gif

I guess I should try jabbing a pencil through my hand again. It wasn't much fun as a kid when I tried it the one and only time in my life, but I'm an adult now and it might be fun!

Thanks TradBetty!