RANT

chris

My rant:

One of the most beautiful things about climbing, in all its disciplines, is the lack of official judges. OK, professional climbing competitions have judges. But in our sport we are judged by our peers. Or are we? It appears that our ranks are filled with armchair wannabe’s, who are allowed – hell, even encouraged – to voice their opinion on forums like CascadeClimbers.com.

“Soloing is an unacceptable risk.”

“I would never do that to someone else.”

“That’s a death route, only done to chest-beat.”

“The objective hazard is unacceptable.”

“You didn’t take enough gear.”

“That practice is unsafe.”

Well, fuck you. I didn’t start climbing to win the acceptance and friendship of wankers like you. I started climbing to challenge myself, to my fucking standards, and not the standards of some fucking committee and certainly not to the standards of some bloody assholes that wouldn’t stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and consider the possibility that someone may do differently.

You don’t like what someone else is doing? Than go out and do it different.

You don’t like that route? Then go climb something else.

You think that a discipline, a route, a face, or a mountain is unsafe? Than don’t go there.

You think the risk is unacceptable? This sport, in all of its manifestations, is defined, driven, and progressed by the acceptance of risk, and by those who are willing to accept more. If that level of risk is beyond your envelope, than accept that fact, be happy with your own accomplishments, and move fucking on. But the last thing you should be doing is criticizing the decisions of other who accept more risk than you.

Who should qualify as my peer? Who gets to pass judgment on my actions, whose opinions actually matter to me? Feel free to speak up if you think you’ve done something similar or something bigger. I’m willing to answer questions, clarify statements, and accept judgment from my betters. The rest do not qualify, and you do not get to pass judgment on me. You opinion is neither asked for, cared about, nor does it contribute to the conversation. If you haven’t climbed in the discipline, made similar decisions, accepted similar consequences, or have all the facts, and still insist on throwing in, you are a fucking bloody stupid fucking wanker.

OK, rants over. Piss off.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha.gif Feel better now?

I don't know why I'm posting on this; maybe it's because I've been up all night, and I'm feeling a bit surly.

You use the word "judgement" quite a bit. Interesting. As I know it, climbers, by nature, are a self-regulating group. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

People on this website, from what I've seen, express concern with others' actions, not because they're "judging" them, but because it can raise red flags.

I just took a glance at "Who's Online", and there's 74 lurkers...at 5 a.m. So what? Some of them may not be on "our side". There's lots of people and/or groups out there that would love to add ammunition to their arsenal in order to raise fees, increase or initiate rescue costs, etc. The "fuck you, I don't care what you think of what I'm doing" attitude just adds fuel to the fire.

That said, I'm sure most people don't give a good Goddamn what you do, what your goals are, or what you climb, as long as you don't end up creating a bad image for the rest of us. In other words, don't shit where climbers eat.

Flame away. I'm going to bed.

Good rant but the odds are pretty high that at least some non-climbing friends and family will still continue to judge the hell out of the risks you take and the decisions you make. My Mom grudgingly accepted the way things are quite a while ago, but nonetheless makes it a point to inform me that she will spit on my grave if I get killed climbing.

Then there are the sketchy-looking folks that look like they're at risk of killing themselves. Say something or no? Always a tough call. I've had people come over and provide some unsolicited, unnecessary, and incorrect advice before and it annoyed the hell out of me, but when I was just getting started, there were at least two occaisions where someone looked at what we were doing, got concerned, and spoke up. I was embarassed but ultimately grateful that they did so. For some reason there seems to be something about climbing that just makes it tougher to do this sort of thing.

If you don't give a fuck what everyone else thinks why are you posting on a website or even reading it?

Oh, because you want your 'peers' to chime in, or at least the adulation of adoring masses where you can lord your experience over everyone else so they can be impressed with your massive pecs and shovel $ into your pockets. Maybe you could setup a little climbing club and dictate who's a climber and who's not! We could all carry around little climbing resumes (or maybe even ranks!) and only those of equal or greater rank could offer criticism.

Same bullshit, different cocksucker, different decade.

If you don't give a fuck what everyone else thinks why are you posting on a website or even reading it?

Oh, because you want your 'peers' to chime in, or at least the adulation of adoring masses where you can lord your experience over everyone else so they can be impressed with your massive pecs and shovel $ into your pockets. Maybe you could setup a little climbing club and dictate who's a climber and who's not! We could all carry around little climbing resumes (or maybe even ranks!) and only those of equal or greater rank could offer criticism.

Dude - Carl. What is going on down there in SoCal? The cj001f Misanthropy Index © has been trending higher ever since you've made the move down there. Too much sunshine wreaking havoc with the Scandanavian constitution?

Dude - Carl. What is going on down there in SoCal? The cj001f Misanthropy Index © has been trending higher ever since you've made the move down there. Too much sunshine wreaking havoc with the Scandanavian constitution?

BTW - how did pecs manage to work their way into this counter-rant? confused.gif

Chris- you know after you pass your alpine exam, you will, in fact, be the judge of us all.

Did you pay for the right to give him a handjob? Or was that more of an egobackrub? Just like Europe - maybe a red parka! Except with that wonderful american iconoclastic streak for added marketing potential!

I'm sure the local SAR and other climbers in the vicinity would appreciate you letting them know in advance that you know exactly what you are doing and you don't want anyone risking their neck after you get hurt.

When I see someone doing something I consider stupid that is the first thing that occurs to me: "Shit I hope I don't have to try to save that guy."