Softshells - below freezing

Blake

I've had good success wearing softshell type clothes outside on cold windy days, or when rain is in small amounts. However, in prolonged rainstorms, they aren't really able to withstand the soakage. However, what about prolonged snow, when it's below freezing? Have you all had good success keeping warm and dry in softshell garments when its cold enough to be snowing, and stormy enough to be snowing all day long? (assuming I'm going to be staying active)

-Blake

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first place I saw them for sale was from Cloudveil, i'm guessing because they're almost perfectly suited to the tetons. They're really at their best when it's dry and cold, shed the wind and the snow and breath fine. Up here in the wet they're still pretty nice htough smile.gif

I got some Schoeller WB-400 pants from Beyond Fleece that were The Dank for snowy conditions in the Cascades. I seemed to stay drier/more comfortable in them than hardshells as the increase in breathability seemed to more than compensate for any reduction in water-resistance that they had.

The patagonia Dimension stuff also seemed like a good tradeoff.

Thanks JayB!

For the differently-abled link-clickers:

Dank

noun.

A refuge for people of low spirits.Taken from an episode of The Simpsons, "Bart Sells His Soul":

Moe: Seems nobody wants to hang out in a dank pit no more.

Carl: You ain't thinking of getting rid of the dank, are you, Moe?

Moe: Ehh...maybe I am.

Carl: Oh but Moe, the dank. The dank!

JayB's pants are a refuge for the depressed.

I haven't tried mine out in snowy conditions, but I have in wet ones, and what I do is keep a very light, no frills windbreaker with me. simple nylon hooded pullovers pop up non and then on ebay, however I got lucky and scored an activent one smile.gif

This way, if you have a jacket, you get full protection with a lot of flexibility.

Activent also cuts wind/very water resistant, so if th softshell gets too hot, toss the activent/other over a regular fleece/sweater.

My Ibex pants and jacket worked great this w/e as you saw. Kept me warm even when wet and dried out as I wore them. Conditions were very cold and dry tho...

I don't know how much the wool in the blend helps out on the warm when wet sitmo. Anyone find their purely synthetic softshells working well when wet, heat retention wise?

What you have to worry about is when you get the soft shell wet (easier to do at warmer temps/above freezing) and then it drops below freezing. Talk about climbing in a suit of armor cry.gif

Agreed... I have taken mine on 2 or 3 day trips... The first day it's great, but gets damp. When I wake up it's frozen solid so I just toss in in the bottom of the pack as ballast for the rest of the trip. It's heavier when soaked as well.

Beware of the term softshell as nearly every other jacket is slapping the term softshell onto their name and calling it good. Take a look at any of Mtn. Hardwear's offerings which they'll tout as "nearly waterproof and would be if we could seal the seams" (Gore won't let them). To me that is a rain jacket that leaks, not a softshell. The idea of a softshell which I think was first worn by Moses on the first ascent of Mt. Sinai (it's been around for a long, long time), is to repel wind and snow but still breathe really well. Also, break down the name and you have soft and shell. Keep this in mind when looking at "softshells" that have a great deal of insulation. You have other layers for insulating. All I want from my softshell is for it to act as a shell, not as insulation as well, thus increasing it's breathability. Check out Arc'Teryx Gamma SV or Gamma MX. I'm not sure how much insulation these have as they no longer make the one I have, the Gamma LT. Do not get Windstopper in your softshell. These are just fancy fleece. Windstopper is also "sweatstopper" as you will not breathe through it nearly as well as you would through something made of just Schoeller or Powershield that uses the tight weave of the fabric as it's wind blocking layer instead of a laminate layer like Windstopper. Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of people getting "softshells" that are bastardized versions of what they should be. Hope this helps.

JayB,

How do you like your cold play pants from beyond fleece? did they fit perfect the first time? Are the cold play pants too warm for hiking even in winter? I am looking at pants and having trouble deciding between the Cold play and Cold fusion pants. Don't want to get too warm of pants (tent to hike warm and don't want to sweat out to bad), figure that if it is too bad I can put on my shells for a bit more protection.

Edited by letsroll

I can't say that they've ever been too warm for winter-activities - and I've done most of the usual stuff in them - skinning up-hill with a heavy pack on, WI, etc. When it's really cold out I wear a layer of polypro under them, otherwise I just wear the pants. Both the fit and the workmanship were top-notch.

I think that these are definitely a winter-pant though - before mid-November and after mid-march I usually wear something lighter.