to pay or not to pay...that is the question

ChrisT

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you live in an urban area with a good library system, the library may continue to get it. For example, King County Library system allows you to get access to many subscription archives for newspapers if you access through their website and enter your library card number. You can do it from home, so you don't have to go to the library to access it.

One of these providers to the library is ProQuest http://www.proquestcompany.com/home2.shtml

Ask your local library if they have it.

(If you already had a KCLS library card number you could get in here: http://www.kcls.org/cgi-bin/ipcheck?proquest)

Interesting, because cnn.com (no comparison, I agree), just switched from charging to view videos to providing them free. Since I don't pay for cable, I've been tempted in the past to pay to see their news videos, but now I don't have to.

Not that that helps you any, ChrisT. However, this may be a trial to see if folks are willing to pay for "premium" content. Who knows if they will be, over time.

If you live in an urban area with a good library system, the library may continue to get it. For example, King County Library system allows you to get access to many subscription archives for newspapers if you access through their website and enter your library card number. You can do it from home, so you don't have to go to the library to access it.

One of these providers to the library is ProQuest http://www.proquestcompany.com/home2.shtml

Ask your local library if they have it.

(If you already had a KCLS library card number you could get in here: http://www.kcls.org/cgi-bin/ipcheck?proquest)

That's a great idea. thumbs_up.gif

Interesting, because cnn.com (no comparison, I agree), just switched from charging to view videos to providing them free. Since I don't pay for cable, I've been tempted in the past to pay to see their news videos, but now I don't have to.

I think they might've done this because Reuters.com doesn't charge for their video.

• 2 weeks later...
snoboy - brilliant hack but it still doesn't get me into the premium content (and my beloved Krugman). cry.gif

You mean the NYTimes columnist who just makes shit up?....

Fourth and Final Fix?

The New York Times has issued a formal correction for columnist Paul Krugman's false claim that a full hand recount in Florida would have given the presidential election to Al Gore in 2000 -- the paper's fourth attempt to fix the error. Krugman tried to correct the August 19 error himself in a subsequent column, but Times ombudsman Byron Calame objected to the informal clarification.

Krugman then published a more formal correction on August 26, but had to fix that after he relied on an incorrect Miami Herald report. The new correction will be appended to Krugman's original columns and editorial page editor Gail Collins says the paper will now run regular formal corrections under the Times' editorials.

hellno3d.gif

one of the consequences of not paying for content, and you're already seeing it, is a reduction in the investigative journalism that's done (which is expensive) as a means of increasing shareholder return. of course, this leads to the chicken and egg argument. did readership decline because of poor content or vice versa? that i don't know.