Lower Malamute Shotcreted!

EWolfe

knowing how long it takes to get any engineering done w/ the railroads down here, i suspect that the RR had these plans sitting on a shelf ready to go at a moment's notice/reason...They were probably just salivating for the opportunity to enact the plans...

my guess...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After totally flailing Clean crack, I fumble to untie my shoes.

Looking up, the beast was 40 feet away and rolling so quietly that I did not hear the engine.

I was 4 feet from the tracks, sitting down.

The climbing world will mourn the loss of the finest granite climbing area 20 feet from train tracks.

Yeah it is a good thing the LTW is not as close to the tracks as this lost crag. The climbing at Larabee in Bellingham could possibly meet this same fate if climbers there do not tread carefully.

I think if the put concrete on the spots by the tracks in Belingham , it would actually improve the climbing a bit.

tongue.gif

It blows me away that one rail car stoppage woudl even come close to necessitating the hosing down of a known recreation area. I've seen a similar occurance in alaska where they(the MAN)Blew up a crag that was close to a railway. Some jacweed tied off to the tracks and almost took a train to the dome.

What is there to say but be responsible, you might be the guy to wreck a crag forver. pitty.gif

OK...I hate to ruin the fun, but when I first saw this thread it really pissed me off because I love Clean Crack and I actually believed that it had been shortcreted. So for the rest of you who may be as stressed as I was about it...well, I just dont know if I'd believe it just yet...

Rumors?

Edited by miller

afaik, they own the access to the crag, not the crag itself.

is this true?

they actually own about the bottom 15 meters of the crag.

Did they spray more than 15 meters?

Point being: If you can prove that they have destroyed property that they did not own then maybe you could put their feet to the fire.

What they did was wrong even though the tracks are their property. Perhaps the next time there is a train derailment and the railroad company spews chemicals into the streams and the atmosphere, the rest of the society should shotcreate over their tracks so the trains never come through again...

Erden.

... Perhaps the next time there is a train derailment and the railroad company spews chemicals into the streams and the atmosphere, the rest of the society should shotcreate over their tracks so the trains never come through again...

Actually, the Cheakamus River is within 15M of the tracks, so it's within their right-of-way, so they can do what they want with it. All those fish were trespassing anyway, and had been for years. If you ask me, the slimy little buggers got exactly what they deserved.

It is rather ironic that after all the theoretical babble about how excessive modern bolting will reduce access due to the horrors of impact perceived by land managers, it's actually a trad climber that gets an exceptional crag ruined and obliterated for life. Never mind merely closed....

It is rather ironic that after all the theoretical babble about how excessive modern bolting will reduce access due to the horrors of impact perceived by land managers, it's actually a trad climber that gets an exceptional crag ruined and obliterated for life. Never mind merely closed....

Lame.

What is there to say but be responsible, you might be the guy to wreck a crag forver. pitty.gif

THAT is the lesson to be learned. However, I think BC Rail should endure an unparalleled negative publicity campaign. Isn't that a tourist route, from Vancouver up to Squamish? Vancouver news media may just sell some papers with a story that exposes the way BC Rail degrades the natural beauty of Howe Sound when it is because of this beauty that tourists make the journey.

Anyway, I'm depressed. Loved the climbs down there. Caboose was one of my first 5.10 leads. I will not forget how incredibly pumped that made me. Clean Crack? That must have been one of the best finger cracks ever. Anybody hear the story of Snickers falling off the crux on a solo attempt, only to jump right back on and complete it?