Justice O'Connor Retiring

Lionel_Hutz

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that the shrubbery would look at the chaos he has caused in the past with some of his nominations and go for some one more pleasing to everyonethis first time, however, this would then leave him to go for broke with an ultra-conservative when Rehnquist goes down for the count.

Likely scenario:

Bush will pick an ultra right wing judge, who's made very questionable statements bringing into question said judge's impartiality, the Dems will whine like spolied brats, then Frist and his buddies will huff and puff over the whining, finally culminating in a bunch of democrats saying how unfit for the appointment the judge in question is, how much they disapprove and doubt they will uphold the principles of impartiality, and okay the judge anyway.

And then we'll spray about it for years.

Pull up a chair, get yourself some popcorn! The right-wing revolution to control every branch of the US government is nearly complete! Watch! as we may have the rest of our lives to see business, religious fundamentalists, and brute thugs try to refashion this country and the world into their grim utopia! See! a new era of barbarism, a high tech dark-age rise before your very eyes! Orwell and Huxley party together as you've never seen them before! Front row seats to the decline and fall of a 21st century empire, with you, your family, and furry little nature loving friends on the hot-seat! The non-stop thrill ride of the summer! Don't be late! Complementary Soma at the door. mushsmile.gif

...the War on Free Speech should be next.

May not be such a bad thing...

...if you're the first casualty.

We're gonna need you to shut your greasy little pie hole now, mmmm..kay? Just get back on the short bus, sit down, and shutup.

We must never forget 9-11 when we consider the impact of liberal activist judges on our great country. We cannot let a big government judiciary let the Teri Shiavos be forgotten and we must be vigilant in remembering the importance of our freedom so that we can stand united against those who hate our freedom. My nominee will interpret the Constitution as our forefathers meant it to be interpretered and I trust Congress will respect the nation with a speedy appointment of Mr. Ashcroft to the bench. We cannot sit idle while the terrorists will do anything to harm our culture of life.

Pull up a chair, get yourself some popcorn! The right-wing revolution to control every branch of the US government is nearly complete! Watch! as we may have the rest of our lives to see business, religious fundamentalists, and brute thugs try to refashion this country and the world into their grim utopia! See! a new era of barbarism, a high tech dark-age rise before your very eyes! Orwell and Huxley party together as you've never seen them before! Front row seats to the decline and fall of a 21st century empire, with you, your family, and furry little nature loving friends on the hot-seat! The non-stop thrill ride of the summer! Don't be late! Complementary Soma at the door. mushsmile.gif

palpatine1.jpg

Mmmm yeeeessssss. Our plans are almost complete. And once the death star comes on-line we can dissolve the last vestiges of the old republic.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the eyrolls FW, I thought maybe you were serious and had become a member of the conservative ultra-rich elite that is in the know about such things. wave.gif Glad to know you're down here with the rest of us, looking for the spaces between the lugs when that big boot comes down.

I didn't bother reading this thread...but the reality is Alberto Gonzales is actually *good* compared to the list of schmucks he might choose from. The fact that a bunch of the neo-con bozos consider him "too moderate" is a very good sign. I did a research paper on the guy and I must say he isn't as bad as some liberals might be led to believe. We really could do worse. In particular check out some of his decisions he made regarding abortion when he was on the Texas supreme court. He is against it but upheld pro-choice laws on the base that he considered his job to merely rule on the laws as the existed, not how he might want them. The fact is we aren't going to get somebody I am thrilled with considering we have a bumbling neo-con president and a republican senate, so I've accepted that reality and will be pulling for Gonzales. It all hinges on the good Republicans stepping up to the jackasses on the hard right that will try to get somebody extremely hard-line nominated.

As for renquist's possible reitrement (not likely) or passing, I consider it somewhat of a moot point. He is a down the line conservative vote on the court so replacing him is essentially little change from today's situation.

Lets just pray the older "liberal" justices, who are all really good people I may add, hang on. John Paul Stevens in particular... It is going to be sad to see him go.

Above all else, however, i am sad to see O'Connor go. In today's world of super partisan politics and judicial wars she was a good woman. The fact that you actually didn't know a lot of the time how she would vote was a great thing.

-josh

I agree that Alberto seems like a nice guy, less prone to inflammatory rhetoric than Ashcroft. That pesky torture issue is a little hard to get over, though.

My best guess for Bush's perfect supreme court nominee, based on the record of his previous appointments,and considering both qualifications and previous achievements, is... Lynndie England.