Squamish on Memorial Day Weekend

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second the recommendation for Klahanie crack- bring lots of .75-2" pieces. Urine Too Deep is a 5.8 just further up the hill and worth doing if you are in the vicinity- I remember some wierdness with the walk off. Park in the Shannon Falls lot and then head south on the bridge- the climbers path will be obvious on the East (lefthand) side of the rode.

Octopus Garden is a nice shady alternative and has a wide variety of grades.

trog, there aren't a whole lot of great moderate sport climbs in squamish, but ZOE is a fun single-pitch 5.10a over at murrin park. (pretty short walk from the parking lot.) as suggested above, i also highly recommend KLAHANIE CRACK as a must-do. long-ish hike but it's through nice woods and really a fun easy 5.7 hand crack. squamish has a multitude of nice moderate multi-pitch trad routes. maybe it's time to convert your partner to the more enjoyable side of climbing! evils3d.gif i hope you have fun up there. that's where i learned to climb cracks and multi-pitch routes, and it is one of my favorite places in this world. thumbs_up.gif also, if you can find someone to give you directions, go up north a little and do STAR CHEK - you drop over the side of the hwy and rap down to the chekamus river and climb back out. (i think it's about 3 pitches or so of up to 5.8 sport - i can't remember for sure.) highly recommended on a hot day! cool.gif

As I understand it, Star Chek and all the routes in that area are highly NOT recommended right now due to damage to rock and hardware from highway construction: loose rock and general sketchiness.

sorry, fern; i didn't realize that was an issue. i guess it will be an ongoing one for some time, eh? sucks to be on the way to 2010. cry.gif oh, well ...

Had a great weekend cragging at squamish. Thanks for all the input. Aside from shannon falls, we didn't encounter too many people surprisingly. Climbed at neat and cool for half the day on Sat, Shannon falls and Alexis Cracks on Sun, and Penny Lane on Mon morning. Managed to climb many of classics I had noted in the McLane guide. Almost everything we climbed (except Alexis Cracks) I'd consider among the best single pitch I've done. Neglecting the handful of not-so memorable routes we did, these were all exceptional in my opinion:

Cat Crack

Flying Circus

Local Boys (1st pitch)

Klahanie Crack

Quarry Man

10C slab next to quarry man (TR)

Penny Lane

Cardhu crack was really nice also, but didn't quite compare to the beauty of Klahanie. Can't wait to go back and climb some longer routes, as well as explore more of the bluffs.