Our Country is officially RETARTED!

jon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...uh...we were tarted and then we weren't and now we're offically tarted again because somebody wants to extend daylight savings time? Help me out here. I didn't click on the link, cause I was worried it was spyware.

What do you got against DST? You from Arizona or something?

"The more daylight we have, the less electricity we use," said Markey, who cited Transportation Department estimates that showed the two-month extension would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

yelrotflmao.gif

'tards.

I hate DST. thumbs_down.gif

Speaking for the democratic POV, I don't think this would be very fair to the chinese or those poor people in the Tsunami-devasted region. If we just unilaterly decide to hoard more daylight for two months, then they'll get less. Right?

Actually, I bet we use more energy the more daylight we have.

There are all sorts of misconceptions about energy use. Here is a good one. Most people use paper coffee cups because it is "better" for the environment. It actually takes more energy and resources to produce a paper cup than a styrofoam cup, and the styrofoam cup has better thermodynamic properties. Granted styrofoam isn't biodegradable and is made from oil. Same with paper and plastic grocery bags.

Changing daylight savings time is actually a big venture. Pretty much every computer operating system and anything that is dependant on time, like traffic lights, phone networks, investment infastructure all have to be changed to accomodate this. What congress really needs to do is get the automakers and saudis dick out of their mouth and make legislation that will cut our oil dependancy in half.

Get rid of the 10 mpg cars on the road! There's already a bio product available made from corn to replace the gas that we use...heck..I use it in my sailboat all the time. runs cleaner. Yeah..there's a whole list of things we could do. Again..it's our government trying to look smart and taking the easy way out. WHAT A JOKE!!

There are a couple of simple fixes the government should simply legislate into practice to help decrease our need for enery.

One, decrease the number of dark hours and let the sun do it's work for us.

Two, lower the boiling point of water. You don't need as much energy if you didn't have to heat it so high.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Anyone got any other suggestions?

in the bible there is some guy who stops the sun... they ought to spend more research on finding out how he did that. 24 hour daylight for america and 24 hour night for the axis of evil countries would be a very powerful negotiating tool!

There are a couple of simple fixes the government should simply legislate into practice to help decrease our need for enery.

One, decrease the number of dark hours and let the sun do it's work for us.

Two, lower the boiling point of water. You don't need as much energy if you didn't have to heat it so high.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Anyone got any other suggestions?

heat up the atmosphere so we need less energy to heat our homes, and can manufacture lighter/less clothing. Oh yeah, we're already working on that one!

hahaha.gif

i find it rather telling that the govt is always pushing to have appliance makers increase efficiencies (e.g. refridgerators, air conditioners, heaters) and yet we can't seem to get those darn auto makers to increase fuel efficiencies when we know they can. then again, everyone wants an efficient fridge but an inefficient car...go figure.

Idgit guvmint. Perspective from the man hisself.

"At any rate, spring is here, even in London N.1, and they can't stop you enjoying it. This is a satisfying reflection. How many a time have I stood watching the toads mating, or a pair of hares having a boxing match in the young corn, and thought of all the important persons who as you are not actually ill, hungry, frightened or immured in a prison or a holiday camp, spring is still spring. The atom bombs are piling up in the factories, the police are prowling through the cities, the lies are streaming from the loudspeakers, but the earth is still going round the sun, and neither the dictators nor the bureaucrats, deeply as they disapprove of the process, are able to prevent it." - George Orwell (1946)

it's really simple. if it gets light at 5 am and dark at 7pm but joe average doesn't wake up till 9 am, that's 4 hours of wasted daylight. and if joe stays up reading a book until 11 pm, that's another 4 hours that he needs the reading light on.

solution: add 4 hours to the day. this way it gets light at 9, just as joe wakes up, and stays light until 11, when joe goes to bed. reducing the time joe has the light on by 4 hours by switching the unused morning hours to the afternoon when joe needs them.