Most ATTEMPTS

AllYouCanEat

Sadly enough it took three times to get up Ingalls. First time, wife slept an hour and was tripping up the trail Turned around at the pass.

Second time I slept 20 minutes and had a migrane from being so pissed off. Didn't leave the parking lot. Third time, made approach in Tevas, didn't really think out my rack, got off route onto stuff much harder than 5.6 but, goddammit, I'm not getting slammed by a mountain that the Mountaineers bring beginners on!!

Everything else either by the second attempt or have never gotten back for the second attempt. Almost turned around on Mixup because there was so much debris on the slabby but, puckered up and got up and down the thing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question.

Rainier

2 failures before first success, 12 failures total, including 8 on one route, 3 successes

Liberty Crack

4 fails before 4 straight successes

Chair Peak

5 failures before 3 straight success and then the last fail

Mt Alberta

4 failures

Climbs that I'm happy to have nailed 1st time

NE Buttress of Slesse (twice)

Salathe

N face of N Index in summer (solo up and down)

Stuart

full N ridge

NW ridge

Ice Cliff Glacier

Adams N face of NW ridge

Hood, Coleman headwall

Shasta Hotlum-Wintun Ridge

Assiniboine NE ridge

Outer Space 8? times

Drury

Weeping Wall

Murchison

Proffessors

Climbs that I'm happy to have nailed 1st time

NE Buttress of Slesse (twice)

Outer Space 8? times

How can you do something first time, more than once??? tongue.gifcantfocus.gif

My pastor says that if I can make my heart pure, I will be 'fresh' in the eyes of the Lord.

I still haven't done rainer thanks to the following three failures:

1.) Weather (very high winds), slow team

2.) Horrid food poisoning

3.) Carried skis in a punishing cold wind all the way up to Muir only to realize it was too cold and windy then get to ski down in the night on a skating rink.

After that I figured I'd just try again when somebody wanted to do a fun route. I'm not interested in going up it just to go up it.

As for happy to do, considering all the horror stories about big expectations and little results in the pickets I was happy to nail Challenger, Whatcom, Ghost, Crooked Thumb and Luna all on my first trip in to the Northern Pickets.

Dru! Come baaack to bed!
yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Careful...you're gonna get yerself moderated evils3d.gifgrin.gif

yellaf.gif

i definitely would've been moderated if i'd said what i was really thinking. there's a reason my powers are confined to lesser forums evils3d.gif

just to keep this thread on track. i'll confess to at least 3X in one year not getting up chair peak for any one of a number of reasons. babysitters, avy danger, getting distracted by another project on the way up. sometimes you just don't get where you're going! fruit.gif

Edited by minx

Mt. Robson took 4 attempts and still trying. I have made as high as 50% of the way up the North face. On that attempt we were hit by heavey rain. After a painful downclimb the weather broke and was clear again. We could have made it if we pushed through the bad weather. I will hit the top eventually. When it comes to weather it is better safe than sorry.

For some reason Morning Star, very minor peak, is my nemesis. I'm 0 for at least 4 or 5. I've been pretty sketched out on that thing a couple times. I want to quit trying, but I hate the thought of not getting to the top, so I may give it another go. Monte Cristo has turned me back at least 3 times, too.

Some really easy boulder problem in Joe's Valley absolutely bouted me for months. I was out there 2-3 times a week for a few months. Probably close to 50 attempts before I did it. Especially frustrating when there were harder rated problems on my warmup circuit and I'd come back to this thing after a good session of climbing things rated 3x harder and could not do it.

Finally went out there one day with a friend who was climbing just under his limit on this prob. He cruised it second or third try. I did it right afterwards. yellaf.gif

Hmm yes there is a boulder problem like that near Hope... it's about 3 moves, the second one is a dyno that finishes or results in trying to hold a big swing. I have tried it 20 to 30 times eachon about 4 different days and still havenm't tensioned it cry.gif Watching Distel32 cruise it during his tour didn't help either!

There's this hot chic at the gym I've been projecting for months. I can't even count how many 'attempts' I've made. I'm starting to realize there are some routes that'll never go free- not for me at any rate.

Time to bust out the aid gear.

There's this hot chic at the gym I've been projecting for months. I can't even count how many 'attempts' I've made. I'm starting to realize there are some routes that'll never go free- not for me at any rate.

Time to bust out the aid gear.

i feel ya. i just spent two weeks with a hot blonde who flirted with me all the damn time. in the end all i got was some kisses. sometimes a person just has to go solo.

• 1 month later...

skiing mt baker. i tried three springs in a row and got it the third time. i have not wanted to go back since.

Memorable exchange from the second attempt. a member of our group standing about 20ft away from us in a whiteout "where are you guys? i can't see you?"

reply "we can see you! we're right here!"

"I can't see you"

"wipe off you goggles"

"oh, there you are"