I've been humbled

Anna

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Chips:

When I am belaying a friend who has intermediate skills at trad leading, I usually pipe up that another piece would be a great idea,

Dru originally said

quote:

So despite my advice he starts trying to run it out to the next rest

dats what i was doing, piping up. at least until he was in ground fall potential area, cause then he was scared so bad i figured he didnt need me telling him if he fell he'd die, he was shaking enough already and any more shake might just help him fall off.

quote:

Dru, perhaps you should read the whole thing and get a true gist of what's being talked about here, that way your comments are more relevent.

after reading everything i realized i inferred correctly what those pgs were about before i even read them. [Roll Eyes]

To OFFWHITE,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------

As far as your suggestion that I am "coddling" Anna because I want into her pants, you really are an ignorant twit, aren't you?

--------------------------------------------------

Ignorant...in other words, unaware or unknowing... yes I suppose I am ignorant as to your intentions and motives for coddling. That part you only know I guess. Why did you coddle?

As for being a twit, maybe you got me there, I guess thats a matter of opinion.

Lets take a vote, who says I'm a twit? [Razz]

quote:

Snoboy. This has not so much to do with making a mistake. It is about the mistakes being made due to improper training and experience and NOT listening to others when they blatently point it out to you. It is about NOT assessing your own skills and knowledge and it's about embellishing them, which never helps.

I agree with what you are saying here. I have been taking issue more with how people are saying it than what they are saying. I am also taking issue with people assuming that she has learnt nothing from the experience.

Wheeww! This thread sure is going on & on. Soon it will be [sleep]

Except for a few choice comments, I would have to say that the last two pages are probably the most useful commentary on this whole topic. Let's hope we can all get on with having fun, safely, and friendships can be rebuilt where neccesary.

Maybe there are asshole flight instructors, but wouldn't know. I know that if all my climbing mentors were, I probably would have quit this game a long time ago. I think there is a difference between being straight up blunt with someone, and what was going on here though.

quote:

Originally posted by Anna:

Sorry all for being rude back there,

I guess it is pretty hard to take "I just blew him off..or..knowing her "character", she is an accident waiting to happen so I'm gonna walk away"

Climb on....

I'm sure it hard to take. It is hard to say that some times too. But I have been blasted so many times for trying to save some persons ass, that I usally just leave these days. [Frown]

Good luck all. [big Grin]

[ 11-03-2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

To assist in the unoffical poll:

twit Pronunciation Key (twt)

tr.v. twit·ted, twit·ting, twits

To taunt, ridicule, or tease, especially for embarrassing mistakes or faults. See Synonyms at ridicule.

n.

The act or an instance of twitting.

A reproach, gibe, or taunt.

Slang. A foolishly annoying person.

And as far as the coddling bit goes TYRONE, you should go back and read a little. I believe all I have done is argue that if an anchor is so shaky that lowering on it is questionable I don't believe rappelling is a great idea, and that Anna work on gear placements from the ground with a critique from experienced climbers. If by "coddling" you mean not making her feel ashamed for her life-threatening errors, then I'm guilty, but question your usage of the term. I don't disagree with your opinion on the seriousness of Anna's recent experiences and the need for a sincere remedy, but I find your overweening braggart strut and bully bluster both offensive and counterproductive.

Hey Off,

I'm just trying to figure out which avatar is trask's: Chips or Tyrone? [big Grin] I am convinced he's playing out his very own good-guy/bad-guy on this thread. Shameless horndog...reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber..."So you're sayin' there's a chance!" [laf]

Whoever Chips and Tyrone are, I think that their exaggerated stances have a kernal of honesty in them. Here we have already heard Anna express that she didn't hear warnings in the past...only positives from peers. Others suggest she wasn't listening. She also appears to want to get feedback that makes her feel better, if I read the beginning post correctly. I'm fanning the flames here, but her BBS personality appears to be as gung-ho and reckless as the Kerouac characters her post-script refers to. It's an interesting thread.

Thanks for the input RobBob. I've given up trying to decipher who is also someone else on this board, and I just treat 'em all as virtual split personalities with their own characteristics. Chips & Tyrone are not without their points, I'm just bitching about style and tone and the way we treat strangers.

Could you push that stepladder over here so I can get off this tall horse and take a moment to untwist my knickers? [laf]

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it? [Confused] I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it?
[Confused]
I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

Yeah all those Real names like Captain Caveman and FenceSitter and so on. [laf] I should never have used Dru but im unimaginative.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Perhaps I don't have a good thermometer for the apparent politics of this board, but if you have an unpopular opinion to share why not share it under your "real" name rather than making up some nom de plume? If it's truly how you feel, why not just say it?
[Confused]
I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

Pick ONE frickin' name and stick with it through thick and thin. I figure if you have to hide to post some negitive or argumentative shit, you're not worth spit.

Well, think what you want about split personalities.

Personaly I couln't care less what you guys think in terms of who is who.

I hate to say it but OFFWHITE had a good point. You have to treat everyone independently.

If you respond to the posts, then no matter how you slice it, you care what others think of your ideas. Even if it's in the smallest way.

I enjoy my Anonymity, I can voice my opinion strong and how ever I want without holding back.

I don't care if you think I'm a prick.

Dru, thats your choice to use your name but, I bet you hold back your true ideas and thoughts a whole lot OR (and this my belief)

You have a whole other Avitar and name that does it for you.

What ever, it doesn't matter, I'll just stick to one guy.

Having said that, go ahead and assume I'm two or three or four or five people if you want. [smile]

With regards to Trask's statement:

quote:

Pick ONE frickin' name and stick with it through thick and thin. I figure if you have to hide to post some negitive or argumentative shit, you're not worth spit.

Thats a horseshit notion from the getgo. If you believe that then post your real name. I'd have more respect for ya.

In the mean time embrace your cloak of darkness like the rest of us, except DRU but you know what I think of that.