Your vote for Aid ''death" pitch?

Jens

What's your vote for the cascades most dangerous individual pitch (not overall route) of aid currently? You don't have to have climbed it but it could have been a story told to you by a buddy at the bar over a pint.

I'm not talking the pitch with necessarily the longest fall potential or the most jingus or hardest to place gear but instead the individual pitch that you would be most likely to get the chop on?. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... good question.

It would have to be pretty hard climbing! I would think hooking or expando. Thin seams mean gear can be equalized and nest built.

Son of Pan... i doubt it! That wall looks pretty steep! WHo has backed off Matt and Luc??? Chris and Sean are way solid hard aid climbers in squamish. I would think Skullfuck is hardest in Squamish.

Index, well V420 is only real canidate for it i think. I have rapped past it several times... 3rd pitch looks hard and i'm not sure where mike really went. The first 2 look thin but at least it is fairly obvious looking. Linking 2 and 3 would be sick i think. Someone should do it!

Here is the problem as i see it. In washington how many guys are doing new aid routes around here? I don't think many.

Likely Dangerous Routes at Index:

V420

Mystery Route

Chicken Mcnugetts(maybe)

Artifice(doesn't look bad tho)

Dragon Tail

Satanic Exile

Not counting Squishy, wonder what would be the hardest aid pitch in the NW? Something on one of the North Norweigan Buttresses on Index, Dolemite Tower, something on the Upper Town Wall or something on the Diamond on Bear Mountain? I dunno. But it is an interesting question. Excluding Squishy, is there even an A5 pitch in the NW?

I don't know what the "Mystery" route is, but Doug Klewin thought that Chicken McNuggets was the hardest aid pitch he had done, when he and Dean did the second ascent in 1984. That being said, it is a pitch that will abrade you, but not kill you.

At Squamish, Daryll told that the hardest pitch by far was the Cobra Corner, and that includes the Pan routes, as well as Breakfast Run.

bliar williams (?) did something on the NNB of Index. Probably pretty hard not sure how deadly. No, A5 in wash... and it would probably be hard to find one! So much has to come togather right for a nw A5... all natural all death.

Dru, i think chris is the only repeater of Skullfuck at least that is what he thinks. That route looks simply rad for sure. First pitch is expando and bad fall... proabably would live if you fell off the forth.

Ya, matts hooking pitch sounds spooky...

jens are you looking to climb the hardest/dangerousest? Let me know if you want to do anything hard.

An acquaintance borrowed my ledge and while his belayer sat on it, pulled a flake off Uncle Bens that punched a hole through it, inches from slicing his belayer in two.

Not a route you would think of as having a death pitch, but Susan almost got the chop on that one.

• 1 year later...