closet country music listeners

John Frieh

If you care… what do you think are fundamental country music albums?

Folsom Prison?

Red Headed Stranger?

Serving 190 Proof?

I think I have a good start but I have a feeling I've overlooked many due to my age... help me out...

Additionally I’m always looking for the obscure quality stuff… rockband.gif

And a pre the_finger.gif to anybody who suggests Shania Twain or Billy Ray.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Don William 2 cd anthology, the Tammy Wynette (stand by your man) greatest hits, the Garth Brooks "essential collection" which is like 6 of his cds, and everything Emmylou Harris ever did would hold you in good stead.

Toss in some Brooks and Dunn, Colin Rayes greatest, Merle Haggards, Patsy Cline and a few others stuff and you have a start of a solid classic collection.

You'll be wearing shit kickers and driving a pickup truck with a dawg in it in no time.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW! Let er buck.

"The Complete Hank Williams" compilation.

I should have included Merle Haggard's tribute to Bob Wills ("Tribute to the Best Fiddle player in the World" or something like that.) and Buck Owens' "Streets of Bakersfield"

Edited by ScottP

Johnny Cash's 'God, Love, Murder" is a good retrospective, as is Willie Nelson's 'Classic and Unreleased' - a good warts-and-all collection, including a couple of early demos during his time as a DJ in Vancouver/Portland.

I'm also partial to Gram Parsons - (GP/Grievous Angel) (see also the Flying Burrito Brothers and the Byrds) - very influential on 'country-rock' (e.g. the Eagles), but also introduced us to Emmylou Harris. Died at 27 of an OD - his road manager stole the body and cremated it somewhere in JTree according to Parson's wishes.

Oh yeah, Hank Sr. and Hank III - skip Hank Jr.

Edited by glacier

Bill Monroe--branches off a bit differently into bluegrass but it's old and it's classic, it goes back almost as far as Hank Sr. I think. For newer stuff, I really like some of Steve Earle's work. He's kinda hit and miss but "Train A Comin" is great. Dwight Yoakam has some great albums. BR549 does some really retro sounding stuff. If you like some rock mixed with your country try the Old 97's.

The Beat Farmers....Loud and Plowed

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

i caught a show in ft. collins a while back, not having a clue what i was getting into. the show rocked!

did country dick die, or just move on?

"In 1990 Dick was diagnosed with cancer, and despite the illness and the resulting surgeries which left an ear to ear scar which led Dick himself to refer to himself as "The Human Pez Dispenser," the band continued on much in the same manner as they had through the 80's. However, the band reached a sad conclusion in November of 1995 when performing outside Vancouver, British Columbia, Dick , at age 40, died of a heart attack on stage. "

Country Dick sang a CLASSIC version of Lucille.

you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille...

with four ugly children and a crotch that won't heal....

I can still see him twirling (initially) full bottles of Corona onstage, sitting down with the audience and telling stories about dropping acid in the desert, and signing endless autographs before shows. RIP Country Dick.

I can still see him twirling (initially) full bottles of Corona onstage, sitting down with the audience and telling stories about dropping acid in the desert, and signing endless autographs before shows. RIP Country Dick.

the show i saw was similar, but he was drinking whiskey and falling into the audience.

that's too bad he's gone. he was a fine entertainer!

RIP CDM