Seattle is not Washington State

Fairweather

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, joining a sorority and skipping out of military duty are two different things. Yes they do share a common root however the scale is totally different. There are criminal penalties for skipping out on military service whereas I can't think of much serious related to the greek system.

That being said I don't think CG is that great. I voted for her because I thought she was slightly better than Dino. I do have misgivings about her charactor. I'm not that bothered about her joining a sorority a long time ago, but I am more concerned about how she answered questions regarding the sorority in the governors race. I'd be more accepting of an answer along the lines of being young, trying to fit in, and get ahead as opposed to her bs about how she was trying to change things from within. wazzup.gif

The vote was so close that a recount, even a third recount, is justified but eventually either CG or Dino is going to have to concede the race. I wont loose much sleep if CG is the one that concedes.

One thing I am glad of is that the democrats are paying to recount the whole state. I'm sure there would be even more fighting if they didn't.

Paul, joining a sorority and skipping out of military duty are two different things. Yes they do share a common root however the scale is totally different.

I thought the issue was more than "joining a sorority" - it was rather one of practicing racist exclusionary policies in said sorority. That would rank as a large "scale" item IMNHO.

FW- you're right. i was vaguely referring to CG's membership in a sorority. i did a lot of stupid things when i was 18-20. i've done even more since then. h/e, even at 18 it wasn't hard to figure out joining a sorority like that would be wrong. definitely not rocket science.

i absolutely agree that we should not be putting people in office based on their particular beliefs. i think GW was elected largely b/c of his alleged morality. i don't think his religious beliefs qualify him to be president.

in CG's case, i think the issue is less about morals than it is about judgement. she demonstrated a substantial lack of judgement in selecting that sorority. there are plenty of others to choose if you must join one. she has demonstrated a lack of judgement and inattention to detail as AG. those aren't questions of morality so much as they are personality traits that make her unqualified for the job imo.

unfortunately, based on my feelings for certain agendas and policies, i was still forced to choose her.

and to lars, my reference to the tally regarded the "absolute" number of votes for Rossi or CG that would come up w/each recount. right now it's 42 votes that separates them. next time it could be 2. another time it could be 442.in any given count the winner might change when statistically it's a dead heat. 42 is about .001% of the about 3 million votes cast in that race. see e-rock's coin flip reference.

Funny how we don't hear Republicans whining like toddlers when the Democrats win a tight one. An interesting paradox if you ask me.

Rush Limbaugh (sp?) whines all day along with his gazillion dittohead followers.

He never says anything that would do any good. He just whines and complains.

I really don't care if republicans or democrats win. I just think all the voting issues should be looked into until everyone has full confidence that it is accurate.

If there is a difference between the orginal count and a recount, something is very wrong. They should not stop investigating until they know exactely what happened. If not, then our system is sloppy.

W got his DWI when he was 30. That's not young and stupid. Dick Cheney got 2 DUI's. Once is stupid; twice is a judgement problem.

But having an intern suck your cock on "company" time on "company" property - as a part of multiple inappropriate sexual encounters is not a "judgement problem", I suppose.

And driving drunk with a female passenger who dies as a result of driving into a lake - is that a "judgement problem"? And yet Ted Kennedy was how old when this happened? How many times has he been reelected since then? And he is still a leader of his party, and was a serious presidential contender in the 80's. No problemo, I suppose.

These guys (rich, powerful, politicians) are all the same, let's not kid ourselves. And they aren't much different from the average American in terms of failings.

Rush Limbaugh (sp?) whines all day along with his gazillion dittohead followers.

Have you ever listened to him? On the contrary, he is usually very upbeat and optimistic, so I don't know where you are getting this.

If you want to cite a right-wing talk show host who does actually whine a lot, try Michael Savage.

As for Rush, it is ironic you mention him today in this context. I happened to catch him 20 minutes this morning on the way to work. He was laughing and reading from Maureen Dowd's column in the NY Times from 12/05/04 "Jingle Bell Schlock" (http://www.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/maureendowd/). Now, if you want to talk about whining, THAT would be a place to start. In fact, one could extrapolate her obvious unhappiness with the holidays, and life in general, to many many liberals in our society, who seem to find no joy or happiness or GOOD in anything.

I don't really blame the Democrats for wanting a recount. It's close enough that any candidate would ask for one. One has to ask, though, if either Gregoire or Rossi are such great candidates, why didn't one or the other garner more votes to make it decisive? Obviously, neither has a compelling enough message, or enough personal integrity, to make a clear case.

And driving drunk with a female passenger who dies as a result of driving into a lake - is that a "judgement problem"? And yet Ted Kennedy was how old when this happened? How many times has he been reelected since then? And he is still a leader of his party, and was a serious presidential contender in the 80's. No problemo, I suppose.

don't worry - the Republicans can perform vehicular manslaughter and deny responsibility just like the Dems, except at least Janklow had to serve a trivial amount of jail time.

don't worry - the Republicans can perform vehicular manslaughter and deny responsibility just like the Dems, except at least Janklow had to serve a trivial amount of jail time.

1. that's a big "except"

2. I said they (politicians) are all the fucking same, didn't I? convenient post trimming...

I don't really blame the Democrats for wanting a recount. It's close enough that any candidate would ask for one. One has to ask, though, if either Gregoire or Rossi are such great candidates, why didn't one or the other garner more votes to make it decisive? Obviously, neither has a compelling enough message, or enough personal integrity, to make a clear case.

good point - and I think either will do as governor at this point tongue.gif

good point - and I think either will do as governor at this point tongue.gif

And if whoever wins does a mediocre (or worse) job, then toss them on their ass in 4 years.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once is stupid; twice is a judgement problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we're signed up for another 4 years, are you saying America has a judgment problem?

Have you ever listened to him? On the contrary, he is usually very upbeat and optimistic, so I don't know where you are getting this.

If you want to cite a right-wing talk show host who does actually whine a lot, try Michael Savage.

As for Rush, it is ironic you mention him today in this context. I happened to catch him 20 minutes this morning on the way to work. He was laughing and reading from Maureen Dowd's column in the NY Times from 12/05/04 "Jingle Bell Schlock" (http://www.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/maureendowd/). Now, if you want to talk about whining, THAT would be a place to start. In fact, one could extrapolate her obvious unhappiness with the holidays, and life in general, to many many liberals in our society, who seem to find no joy or happiness or GOOD in anything.

I listen to him almost every day. He's a talking advertisement for the republican party. He also bends the truth as much as possible. He's very smart, but he's a weasel. He reminds me of a car salesman or the guy trying to sell you a stereo at the electronics store.

But he is a moral force. Except for the illegal drug use thing, oh and the nasty ongoing thrid divorce thing, oh, and the constant lying through his teeth. But I guess the end justifies the means, blah, blah, blah.

All things liberals lionize their "own" for - and explain away.

Every time a celebrity goes on a drug binge, and claims to be working on kicking their habit, we are supposed to admire them for their bravery, but when a conservative has the same failure, they are to be mocked endlessly. Ditto for liberals on their 2nd or 3rd marriage (or 100th lover for that matter).

As for the "moral force" question, I don't think Rush ever claimed to be that. He analyzes politics and has a "show" - the goal of which is to be entertaining and make $$. Sometimes he catches my interest, sometimes not...