Dan_Larson

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

. . (or from The Supersuckers). . .

The greatest rock and roll band in the world!

Well, except for Dead Moon...

In the spirit of name-dropping, I thought I'd spray that I used to be friends with Andrew of Dead Moon fame. Haven't talked to him since I stopped working in a bar though (i.e. free beer). The whisky on the drum is cool no matter how many times I see it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is RURP:

"the dude just probably needed his pampers changed cause he got rained out of his latest alpine suffer fest with his 2 days off."

Boo-hoo! Only gets two days off, just like most people. Sounds like a whiney school teacher...they tell you how "little" they are making until you realize they only work 3/4's of a year, get the lovely summer off, plus two weeks at Christmas, assorted other breaks, great benefits, and after a few years of entry level pay, they do quite well. You want to be a climbing bum? Don't work in a shop, be a school teacher.

That F.F. place...I have been in there three times and will not go back. Each time, they acted inexperienced, or I could not find someone who even pretended as if they were interested in selling anything, and/or they didn't have it.

RURP has spoken.

Got to jump to the teachers defense here rurp. You got it wrong. All the ones I know work at least 10 hour days at school, bring paperwork home, work at least a day during the weekend. Yes they get holidays off but most of the time they're grading or preparing lessons. With mandatory weeks before and after school is in session the summer off is about 6 weeks, and most of them take workshops (more unpaid time), and work on lesson plans in the summer.

If you can bust your tail during the school year and don't mind working weekends all the time then maybe it's a decent tradeoff for extended time off in the summer. The pay is good? With a Phd and 15 years experience you top out at $56 k. BS and no experience- a whopping $23K. You should become a teacher if you like kids and what to teach - bottom line.

Not taking sides here, but listened to a radio show yesterday discussing the Issaquah and Snohomish Teacher Strikes. What I found most interesting was that the Sports programs were not affected. Evidently the teachers that coach have separate contracts. So as not to upset the parents, or endanger a possible career in college/professional sports, the programs are not affected by the strikes. The teachers of course cry foul..."sports in America are more important than an education". Duh, of course they are.

I remember back in school 70's. I would sweat every levy election because the threat of sports being cut was always there . I think that sports are very important . As important as any school subject or activity.If I wasn't allowed to run track in High School it would have been one of the biggest let downs of my life . Those coaches don't make squat either they do it because they love it.My track coach was a math teacher , coach and bartender to support his family of eight . He even took us around to other states and Canada to run in the summer on his own time and expense. I think this is the type of person a lot of our teachers are ......PAY THEM

NOT A FEATHERED FRIEND! (ironic that the lady's last name is "Wing")

'I have a hawk stuck to my arm'

By Katherine Schiffner

Herald Writer

ARLINGTON -- When Jamie Wing drove up to an Arlington gas station Thursday and shouted, "Call 911! I have a hawk stuck to my arm," customers thought she was kidding.

But it was no joke. The red-tailed hawk had bit Wing's lip, then dug its talons into her right arm and wouldn't let go.

The bird had crashed into Wing's pickup on I-5 Thursday morning. She had pulled over to free the hawk's wing from her side mirror when it flew into the pickup and attacked her.

"I couldn't believe it," she said. "I feel lucky it didn't chew me up more."

Wing, 38, of Silvana threw a coat over the bird and tried to get it off her arm, but "every time you touched the bird, it gripped harder," she said.

With the hawk still attached, she managed to drive to a gas station in Arlington and yell for help.

Despite the pain, Wing, who owns two cats, two dogs and four horses, did not want the hawk killed.

"There was a point where it got so painful that I was going to reach down and break its neck myself, but I love animals and I realized the bird was in shock and pain," Wing said. "It wasn't the bird's fault."

Wing had a woman at the gas station call 911 and a friend knowledgeable about animals to get advice. Firefighters from Silvana and Arlington went to the scene to help.

Wing said they gave her morphine to help with the pain, and she passed out after that.

"I couldn't hang on any longer," she said.

Wing said she regained consciousness right before two women from the Sarvey Wildlife Center in Arlington were pulling the hawk off her arm. Firefighters, who described Wing as calm throughout the ordeal, then took Wing to the hospital.

Wing, who said the hawk was attached to her arm for about a half-hour, suffered puncture wounds to her right arm and said her right hand and fingers are swollen. The back of her hand and top of her thumb are swollen too, she said.

The injuries made it tough for her to celebrate her son's 11th birthday Thursday.

"I promised I would make it up to him," she said.

The hawk was taken to the wildlife center, but both of its wings were broken and the fractures could not be repaired, said Kestrel SkyHawk, who cares for all birds of prey at the center. The bird had to be euthanized, he said.

Wing said she was sad to hear the hawk hadn't lived.

"At least it's not in pain anymore," Wing said.

This is RURP:

Mr. Jim: "Got to jump to the teachers defense here rurp. You got it wrong."

Sorry, Mr. Jim, but I disagree.

1) teaching is not that hard, I have done it.

2) you do not have to be all that bright to be a teacher, just a step or two ahead of the students, for example, third grade.

3)many teachers don't "bust their tails" and if they are doing a little overtime, maybe their planning isn't so good or they are assigning too much homework...and a lot of salary jobs require that you finish what has to be done, even if it's unpaid overtime so, so what?

4) Most people with Ph.D.'s do not teach in a public elementary, jr. high or high school. They teach in a college or university where the pay is often LESS than what you cited.

5) I don't know where you live, but $56 K is pretty darn good money for a relatively easy job with massive time off each year. (And it's not just the summer, it's two weeks at Christmas, etc.)

6) $23 K ain't bad for a starting salary...again, not working all year, and the salary jumps up quickly after a few years.

7) top out at $56 K? Add the vacation time and the benefits and these characters are making probably close to $75 K.

8) There are plenty of teachers who suck...they can't teach, and they are paid like the rest. There are few quality control standards.

9) If you are in teaching for the money, than your motives are wrong, but the money isn't bad if this is the "job you love" like it is supposed to be. You're being paid to do what you love so you should be happy.

11) No one keeps these teachers from getting a summer job and making even MORE money!

12) Paying teachers more money won't necessarily attract better people into the profession. The system has first to change in big ways. There needs to be a way of weeding out the many teachers that suck and replacing them, otherwise the worthless teachers get their pay raise with the rest of them.

13) Teaching our kids is the noblest profession so we should pay them like superathletes? How about being a good parent so your kid doesn't cause problems in school and make the teachers nervous? No one pays you for that and it IS the most important thing.

Teachers need to realize that they have a great thing going and quit trying to fool the public about how rough they have it. There are loads of college graduates in jobs they require a lot more for a lot less compensation.

There are loads of corporate employees who make less than that top number, work more than 40 hours per week, and if they're lucky, they'll get two or three weeks of vacation a year after ten or fifteen years.

Just another perspective.

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Natural:

I agree, hope you have fun too. sorry about being the grammer police, i usually dont give a shit either, but I was bored and thought in some way my post might in some way help somebody out. just tryin to do my part to make the world a loving happy place.

[rockband][sNAFFLEHOUND][HORSECOCK]

That's "grammar" police. [laf]

Just a friendly reminder from the Speling Police (yes, irony).

quote:

ouch, I was waiting for that. hey doc, why don't you suck my dangling modifier for awhile.
[Razz]

Why not start with some capitalization you slobbering knob goblin? [laf] Ms. Krabapple from 2nd grade would sure appreciate it. [Moon] recess time [rockband]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Sure, but learning to go on strike is a valuable lesson, too! 'Specially if you get a union job!

but now I feel aggression toward unions and have to put up with word nerds (like you) correcting me the rest of my life.

can you say THREAD CREEP!

quote:

Correct, Mr. Natural. As evidenced by
, we can see that the definition of irony is quite different from what its above misuse might suggest:

irony

\I"ron*y\, a. [From Iron.] 1. Made or consisting of iron; partaking of iron; iron; as, irony chains; irony particles. [R.]

eat balls you sporty pre-pubescent 2.75"er [Moon] you

quote:

, we can see that the definition of irony is quite different from what its above misuse might suggest:

irony

\I"ron*y\, a. [From Iron.] 1. Made or consisting of iron; partaking of iron; iron; as, irony chains; irony particles. [R.]

And the verb form of irony is "to iron". Get it right folks.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

quote:

irony

eat balls you sporty pre-pubescent 2.75"er
[Moon]
you

Go hum 'The Star Spangled Banner' on your nearest male relative's nuts, you crusty old Backstreet Boys groupie.

quote:

sorry, but this always bugs me.
quote:

NOT A FEATHERED FRIEND! (ironic that the lady's last name is "Wing")

this a
Coincidence
not irony.

Thanks! Have a great weekend and try not to let grammeraticulous mistakes "always" bug you. Life is way to short and too many of us don't care in the first place. [Razz]