Jobs for climbers?

layton

Any job ideas for me?

Need most weekends off, some weeks off, 20-40 hours a week?

My ideas haven't worked out, the only one that may work is a Temp Agency:

pro: make own schedule

con: shitty job,inconsistant

job openings

I had more ideas but no such jobs exist for someone w/only two degrees.

Jobs that suck: Haggen,cereal box gluing,fish processing,any job that requires excessive smiling.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried temp-ing. Time off is too unpredictable to plan anything. Often temps are needed for emergencies and wk wk-ends. So few of my partners have mid-wk off.

I have recently used my climbing skills for a sm job - I rapelled/ascended over a cliff to fix a retaining wall.

hey i don't have a shit job! [Mad]

but really, Trask don't you know that the things climbers get out of bed for is climbing. well other than to get another beer sometimes and food. [big Drink][HORSECOCK]

michael my dear, try working at a sports/climbing/outdoor rec (not REI, go smaller) type shop. flexy hours, everyone there climbs, skis, rides, or does something of the nature. plus you get great deals on gear, which is usually ones #1 focus. you might have to share work on a weekend now and then but hell... you'll get free tickets, passes to lots of places, bennies and exposure to other options within the industry are endless. you just need to know your shitz.

does that help any. [smile]

[ 08-23-2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: krazy 1 ]

I dunno Michael, I've always found being the boss to be advantageous. Back in the dark ages (79 to 83) I used to have a shop sewing outdoor clothing, mostly pile and fleece. Scumbag Mountaineering was never a great living, but marketing trips to the Valley with a couple huge overstuffed duffles were always fun.

I slowly drifted into construction, where I remain to this day, writing to you from Brand X world headquarters. You might consider being a carpenter, there is a significant demand these days: fewer strapping youth make their way into the field and the pool of experienced carpenters is steadily aging. The wages are okay for blue collar work, but the trick is finding a good employer who understands that work is not as important as life, and is amenable to being flexible. There is also the itinerant carpenter model, long a standard in climber employment: work awhile while living cheap, amass a cash stash, go on extended holiday, start again. A good carpenter can get work almost anywhere. However, you want to quickly move through the novice bumblie phase, because as Tommy Caldwell discovered, we are not starfish and those fingers won't grow back.

Anyway, my apologies to all for posting on topic.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Just curious--what's the deal with so many climbers either unemployed or working shit jobs for no pay?

i love my job. i don't make the pay i could demand elsewhere with my schooling, but right now it's enough to get by with (and -- with those pro deals, of course -- afford to amass gear with) ... and the benefits greatly outweigh my measly bank account balances. when i ask my boss for time off to go climbing, he gives it with a smile and says i should take more. [big Grin]

My problem is that I am taking a year off before going to chiropracor school (4 year school). A chiropractor should be a great climbing job, but it's really hard to start something that needs any time put in to advance (like anything), and all the temps jobs are unreliable. I live in Bellingham, and don't want to move until next year. The other problem is Bellingham does not have any open jobs, such as any outdoor type store. I think I'm going to do temp, and when that falls through, it's road trip time. Maybe do some temp down where I'll be climbing. Express Personnel has many offices worldwide, so maybe I could hook up w/them in other towns too. So far their jobs really blow, and since I'm a new college grad, and male, I won't get any of the good office or construction jobs, just light industrail(assembly line).

What I really would like, even if it's hard work, is something with a little autonomy to it, you know, not so many bosses, or a little flexiblity in the tasks...

Thanks

it all depends on what youre willing to sacrifice for your happiness and freedom, if climbing is your passion and nothing else can step in the summer time or yearround for that matter, then use creativity, and determination, and you'll find yourself with all the time you want, now finding some sort of balance for all else besides climbing, well thts the hard part, just make sure whatever you do you do it with heart, ya got a passion? but mike layton i think alot of it is just bellingham, you think haggens bad try being a dishwasher at anthonys... i was over it on day 1, but i got the fuck out- quick ,and found somethin better, you do what you can with what you got, my girls in b-ham during the school year so i deal with the lack of good jobs, but then again, being able to ride baker every morning during a season like last winter makes it all worthwhile [big Grin] !

Yo: hack.

You're your own boss, and the pay is good. You come and go as you please. Don't wanna work tomorrow? Hah! Screw 'em. Go climbing instead.

Don't know what it's like in B'ham, but in Seattle it was good. Coupla bills a day, albeit long days, and you meet interesting people.

Just watch out for road-rage. And armed crack-heads!

Except for the part about always having weekends off, my suggestion is what has kept me in Top Ramen and gear for sixteen years: stagehand.

Flexible hours, great overtime premiums, you work like crazy and then you don't at all, medical, dental, 401(k), challenging (when it's not boring), well the list goes on. I'm pretty burnt on it now, but it is a great job for a slacker outdoorsy type. Pretty much took the whole summer off this year. [rockband]

why have a job at all??? realy, find your self a nice older sugar mommie/daddie that does not climb, who only wants to indulge you... climb all the time and let her/him foot the bill. Granted I have never seen this work, but it might be worth a shot... you cvould place an add in the personals that reads something like this.

poor young person looking for rich older person to fill financial needs and take me out when I am not climbing. if interested call... [Wink]

If you can tolerate children, substitute teachers are usually needed everywhere. Often times they put you on a list and call you for the days you say you are available to work. You can say yes or no, or just not answer your phone. I know it pays fairly well out here. And shit, I think kids bring their own computers to the classrooms these days...you could get a laptop, spray on cc.com on the days you work...climb in the days you dont!

There is an REI in b'ham, right? Dont they usually hire extra folks around the holidays? [Eek!] *gasp* [Eek!] Could be a way to get some of that gear you have been eyeing lately. [smile]

Bartending is always fun, especially if they let ya have a few [big Drink] thru the day/eve. [big Grin]

There are a couple camps in that area which run ropes courses...you could hang in the trees all day! Its actually a lot of work, pay is usually kind of shitty, and it is somewhat seasonal..but it IS fun and offers flexibility both in the amount and kind of work you do. Most places running ropes courses will teach you.

If all else fails, go get a shit job(s) which pays well...suffer thru it for 4-6 months...save every penny you can...then travel for the rest of the time you have left before school starts.

Good Luck!

"If you can tolerate children, substitute teachers are usually needed everywhere. Often times they put you on a list and call you for the days you say you are available to work. You can say yes or no, or just not answer your phone. I know it pays fairly well out here. And shit, I think kids bring their own computers to the classrooms these days...you could get a laptop, spray on cc.com on the days you work...climb in the days you dont!"

What is "fairly well", as far as pay goes? I'm just curious....I've had thoughts of teaching....

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

[QBWhat is "fairly well", as far as pay goes? I'm just curious....I've had thoughts of teaching....[/QB]

$40/day here in The Prophet's country. Starting salary for a certified teacher is about $16,000/year.

Now West Coast . . . A single day's pay in L.A. for a subsitute teacher can go as high as $250. My Uncle subs in the San Luis Obispo area for $100/day.

What it be in Oregon and Washington?