Non-Dog Friendly Crags

Is a barking dog at the crags any better than bringing a crying baby to a concert hall or ballet??? Should we be annoyed by the parents or by the dog?

Dogs that bark and distract are just as annoying as people who are talking up a storm at the base of climbs, that keep lead climbers from focusing on the job at hand. While trying to muster up that last bit of concentration to pull a crux, the last thing I want here is loud valley talk 'that goes like you know dude...' This is especially a problem at indoor gyms.

IMHO humans can learn to respect each other, owners must demand it of their pets.

Erden.

[ 08-02-2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: erden ]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by erden:

Is a barking dog at the crags any better than bringing a crying baby to a concert hall or ballet??? Should we be annoyed by the parents or by the dog?

Dogs that bark and distract are just as annoying as people who are talking up a storm at the base of climbs, that keep lead climbers from focusing on the job at hand. While trying to muster up that last bit of concentration to pull a crux, the last thing I want here is loud valley talk 'that goes like you know dude...' This is especially a problem at indoor gyms.

IMHO humans can learn to respect each other, owners must demand it of their pets.

Erden.

DIRT ME DUDE, SEND IT DUDE,COOL MOVE DUDE! [Cool]

Ok thats loud vally talk! If you don't send and are pissed your playing the numbers game and it gets to be not fun for you and the people that are around you. [Roll Eyes]

If I don't send than I get to have fun at another try [big Grin]

I climb for fun not ego.

I don't like dog owners who let dangerious situations develope from not control'in there dog at the crag.

I'll never claim I couldn't send because there was

a barking dog. When I am on lead, leave my belayer

alone. Safety first. I don't know the ethics of ballet or whatever, but the rest is common sense.

Be safe. Be considerate. If you want your dog eating your camp food and laying on your rope, fine, but remember, anything, he/she does I will use

against you, because you are the adult-parent.

It all has to do with responsiblity. Raise a couple of good adult human beings, and you will get over the Lassie Thing. If you haven't had the

opportunity:

You are Blessed

You are Cursed

Everything Has Two Faces.

[ 08-02-2002, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: MountainBetty ]

Poor dogs. Trapped in these concrete jungles. The sad freedom of running around Greenlake a couple times a week for the rest of their lives. Of course its the owners fault. I'll will put up with your dogs at the Crag. But for the dogs sake. Not for the dumb ass owners who want to bring their dogs so it won't shit in their garage or so they don't have to take them on some sorry ass short walk on a chain when they get home, while their out having fun. Have a dog where it can run unleashed, balls and all blowing in the wind. Shit left where it's shat. Dog owners scare

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

who's rope got pissed on a few months back? i love dogs, but i'd be hella pissed

It was Belle, I 'd be pissed off too. Word to the wise or unwise...Jk and I have had to rethink our whole lives because the kids decided that they didn't like to go climbing any more. Bad behavior is bad behavior weather it comes from dogs or kids.... If they ain't climbing, leave 'em at home, or in the camp site.MHO.

[big Grin]

[ 08-02-2002, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

MF 206's original post was obviously a troll. Come on gang, didn't you see all of those loaded words and phrases?

And while we're having a silly conversation about things we don't like, let me just say this:

I really don't care for the anti-sport climbing attitude! We're all out there doing variations on the same activity, who the hell cares if the style of another person's climbing isn't the same as yours! Man I get so sick of the ELITIST attitude!! [Frown]

PS. Icegirl, I knew Espresso would get better once she hung out with people more!

quote:

Originally posted by MF206er:

... he gets a little hyper and barks a lot, but he's never really a problem ...

i LOVE dogs. i love all kinds of animals. but if people are complaining about your dog, it is obviously a "problem" to them. think of the many people who are annoyed and NOT complaining!

any dog that barks a lot is annoying. and a hyper dog that isn't somehow under your control is not only inappropriate but downright rude. it is dogs like these (and the owners who can't keep them under control) that give dogs at the crags in general a bad name. i've met some really cool dogs at crags - they sit quiety by their owners and chill out, minding their own business and staying out of the way. but i've also seen a lot of "unruly" dogs, walking through people's gear, roughing it up with other dogs right near belay stations, etc. i don't think it's cute or funny. and i love dogs. but there are plenty who don't.

just have some consideration for those around you ... and for the areas you are using.

Oh the dogs who shit everywere, pee everywere, roll rocks, are loud, step on my rope, distract belayers and are a plain pain in the ass. Sounds like alot of the climbers out there. For all the "problems" dogs may have caused me over the years, climbers have been twice so. Don't even ask me how many times I have found a turd and tp underneath a rock. Just last week I saw some dumbass shit on the glacier in the bugaboos and then cover it with a rock. People shit everywhere. People drop rocks on other people. Some people are loud, rude and annoying. (of course none are cc.comers) All of the characteristics of dogs that this thread has been busting on exists in the general climbing population and we all just suck up and accept bad people behavior. There are "bad dogs" and there are "bad climbers". I wish I could scold the bad climbers like I can my dog. Maybe if all you people critical of bad dogs would be critical of "bad climbers", vantage would be a place worth going to. Might even bring my dog since there wouldn't be any bad habits to pick up.

[ 08-03-2002, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: genepires ]

This is RURP:

Something for several people:

SK say:

"Jk and I have had to rethink our whole lives because the kids decided that they didn't like to go climbing any more."

Smart kids!!! Take them to the water park and let them have some real fun.

Allison say:

"I really don't care for the anti-sport climbing attitude! We're all out there doing variations on the same activity..."

That is not true. The day I feel kinship with sport-climbers is the day I quit climbing. Looks like just another attempt to justify a questionable lifestyle!

MtnHigh say

"My mutt Butch, is an attraction at the crag."

Is Butch a roaster or a fryer? Maybe people are attracted to him because they are hungry.

Plexus say:

"Dogs at climbing crags....that's why we need more cougars in the mountains."

Exactly!

Can RURP come on out to the crags, yell at you, pee on your rope, sniff your rear while you are belaying, etc. Although a few hotties will say "please do, Mr. RURP", most folks would not. Keep those flea-bitten little bastards at Green Lake. Few people apart from the owners thinks your dog is cool.

RURP has spoken.

You know why Dennis, but here it is:

Dogs produce large litters of pups and their numbers can't be controlled. Likewise, sport climbers produce large litters of sport pups, and because of their short gestation period (a few weeks in most cases) their numbers are skyrocketing.

The other, more solitary, breeds of climbers are hindered by the fact that they rarely come down to ground level long enough to reproduce. Also, they stay in the womb for a gestation period of a few years and may take even longer to produce their own offspring.

It's all a game of numbers and the sport pups are ahead, as proven by the appearance of new shiny bolts and new shiny Subarus.