Givlers

dkemp

Climbed Givlers Dome this weekend with my buddy Seth. He let me lead the second pitch - good stuff! grin.gif I dont think I would've led the first pitch - those first moves are awkward - yikes! shocked.gif

Boy I can see how this climb is so popular - that second pitch is fun! Odd enough though, it wasnt crowded on Sunday. We saw some folks nearby but no-one else was on Givlers.

Doxey

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we were there by 10am - cool breeze, no-one else around - perfect. Then getting ready I realized I had left my harness in the car - Wha? AW GEEZ! No way! But I - I - but - but - Aarrgh! frown.gifmadgo_ron.gifcry.gif

Hiked down the car, retrieved my harness and back to the base of the climb, round trip = 1 hour ten minutes. Oh man, sometimes I drive myself crazy.

Yeah we were there by 10am - cool breeze, no-one else around - perfect. Then getting ready I realized I had left my harness in the car - Wha? AW GEEZ! No way! But I - I - but - but - Aarrgh! frown.gifmadgo_ron.gifcry.gif

Hiked down the car, retrieved my harness and back to the base of the climb, round trip = 1 hour ten minutes. Oh man, sometimes I drive myself crazy.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

That is possibly my favorite post ever.

• 2 months later...

I got a new Stoke for Rock climbing this September. Stupid rain. I took a day off yesterday, and went to get on some classic routes in Leavenworth without the crowds. Givler's Crack is really outstanding. Fully deserving of the classic route status, but probably not deserving of the 5.8 rating. Doesn't really matter, cuz' it was fun, fun, fun. Did some bolted, slabby thing up there which was also decent, and then flailed around on Dogleg crack ... that jump from 5.8 to 5.8+ seemed like 3 or 4 grades confused.gif

Forgot your harness? That's when you pull out the old school bag of tricks. Whip on a quick bowline-on-a-coil, cobble together some leg loops by twisting a 1" sling into a figure 8, clip 'em together with a locker and you're ready to go. It's only 5.8, you won't fall (especially with a harness rig like that!). Forgot the ATC too? That's what a hip belay is all about.

Forgot your harness? That's when you pull out the old school bag of tricks. Whip on a quick bowline-on-a-coil, cobble together some leg loops by twisting a 1" sling into a figure 8, clip 'em together with a locker and you're ready to go. It's only 5.8, you won't fall (especially with a harness rig like that!). Forgot the ATC too? That's what a hip belay is all about.
Either that, or a Munter Hitch.

I climbed Givler's crack free solo during one of my "marathon days".

1. Smoke a bunch of dope.

2. Park car at bottom of canyon.

3. Solo as many pitches as you can, running up the Icicle river road in between climbs.

4. Hitch hike back down the road to your car, sweaty and crazy.

5. smoke a bunch more dope.

6. Go drink beer with TR at Uli's with Julie...

Best effort: Mountaineers dome, Careno Corners, Regular Route upper pitches, Bruce's Boulder, Barney rubble, Roto wall, Givler's crack, R&D route...

That climb is not approved for beginners, I hope you didn't take one up there. shocked.gifyellaf.gif Those first moves get easier each time you do them; I used to hate that first part, now it's fun.

I'm a beginner and I did it as my first multipitch trad! I cursed up a storm that first pitch but the second was like a long extended O wink.gif

I was smiling as I came up to the top, ready to kill my leader laugh.gif

wave.gif

I climbed Givler's Crack with an old school guy who refused to wear anything other than a swami belt on climbs easier than 5.10.

It was supposed to be the "SMC Dome". Clark had "found" it and with visions of glory lugged a bunch of stuff up there & futzed around the better part of a day. Al finally just went ahead & did it in late afternoon & the name just stuck.

Yep, Rat creek Group. The mole on the left, then the blockhouse, then... can't remember! Don't try the appraoch to these from the old road out of Colchuck Lk TH. It blows! Better to climb up from the icicle for that side, or come in St. Edwards plateau for the standard side (see nelson v2 for the mole)

ratgroup, more-or-less left to right==>

doulith, mole, croc fang , shrew, monkey's head, blockhouse with rhombic, and the hook.

yelrotflmao.gif dood you ust be the imfamous leavenworth ben! wow!! thanx for the info everyone... wave.gif i really waNNa check that place out sometime thumbs_up.gif looks cool! uhhh, not so suck... uhh horsecock... yeah plab!!