Flaming SUVs

Jim

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that a property crime committed against corporate interests is judged to be worse than some blue-collar crime committed by corporate agents against the general public?

Did it start in 1886 with the US Supreme Court case, Santa Clara County vs. Southern Pacific Railroad?

And why are some 'people' more equal than others, i.e., are granted more leniency?

Put that fuck inside an SUV and start it on fire. That's a fitting punishment.

hellno3d.gif Gee. I guess a life's worth $400k to Greg.

Correction $40k. 22 years in prison for $40k damage? And Neil Goldschmidt gets off for Child Molestation thumbs_down.gif to Oregon Justice.

Well creating your own little militant sect and trying to do battle with your own government has always been frowned upon, and dealt with accordingly. But destroying a young man's life because he burned some cars is fucking psychotic.

He destroyed his own life.

You guys are not looking at this thing rationally. Just because it was done in the name of "envioronmentalism" you think he should get off easier than some other kind of criminal. I think setting an example of this guy is fine. The ELF and others like them are getting away with too much. I don't like these guys or their tactics at all and I know the government is fed up.

Only problem is he may become a martyr of sorts.

I believe part of the reason arson carries such a strong sentence is because while it may not be the intent, it has the potential of injuring or killing emergency responders and innocent bystanders. Once the arsonist has lit the fire, he really has no control over how far it'll go. It takes a pretty malicious mind to light fires in hopes it'll destroy someone's property. I doubt he has much regard for human life and belongs in prison.

What the hell is a minimun?

I'm kinda on the fence here. Torching a few SUVs, while reckless and irresponsible, does not include the willful harm of humans. His intent was to destroy the property, not hurt anyone. As such, I don't like that his sentence is greater than that for crimes where the intent WAS bodily harm (eg murder, rape, etc). Then again, he deserves punishment, and as for the case that the sentence will ruin his life, well, nobody forced him to burn the SUV. He fucked up, it's his fault. boxing_smiley.gif

As for classifying him as a terrorist, here's a definition:

One who utilizes the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve political objectives, while disguised as a civilian non-combatant.

Hmmm....

Give me a fucking break. It doesn't matter one bit if it was "ecoterrorism" or just some kid setting some shit on fire. 22 years for $40k worth of arson damage is completely fucking unreasonable.

I guaratnee you guys would be claiming the same if it was some dude that caused $40k of damage to "washingtonians against gun violence" in the name of gun rights. rolleyes.gif

Well creating your own little militant sect and trying to do battle with your own government has always been frowned upon, and dealt with accordingly. But destroying a young man's life because he burned some cars is fucking psychotic.

He destroyed his own life.

You're ridiculous.

He fucked up, it's his fault. boxing_smiley.gif

As for classifying him as a terrorist, here's a definition:

One who utilizes the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve political objectives, while disguised as a civilian non-combatant.

Hmmm....

I'm fine with classifying ecoterrorists as terrorists.

As long as the next anti-abortion protester or white supremacist or other right wind fruit job gets charged as a terrorist.

Yeah he made his own choice. But like the Boy who burned the Bush's boat

randomly throwing the book at someone isn't justice.