Metolius Range Finder Cam

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's kinda hard to complain that the range finder feature makes placing cams too easy without making the same complaint about what the innovation of the SLCD itself did to placing trad protection in general. You can always go back to using all passive protection if you want your climbing to be more challenging. Or at least only use cams where necessary instead of using them even where passive gear would do the job. Or let's talk about sticky rubber, or Grigris, or any number of other things that make climbing easier and more brainless. I can't see anything bad about the range finder idea. Doesn't seem to affect anyone other than the climber using it, speeds the process of learning how to place cams, and increases safety. In fact, after all the explanations and diagrams I've seen about overcamming and undercamming, seems like an obvious idea that should have come along years ago.

Metolius sucks. I wish I hadn't bought a bunch of their nuts before I knew any better.

Life is full of regrets such as this. The horror!

Just kiddin ya, I think my kid picked out a metolius nut for my birthday because it was the "prettiest" one at Cascade Crags. As such, it will addorn my rack until it meets its fate. But you are right, I don't really like any of thier stuff except the TCUs are ok. thumbs_up.gif

Metolius sucks. I wish I hadn't bought a bunch of their nuts before I knew any better.

Life is full of regrets such as this. The horror!

Just kiddin ya, I think my kid picked out a metolius nut for my birthday because it was the "prettiest" one at Cascade Crags. As such, it will addorn my rack until it meets its fate. But you are right, I don't really like any of thier stuff except the TCUs are ok. thumbs_up.gif

Oh, their nuts I have are just fine, don't get me wrong. (that sounded bad)

I just figure in the future I wont give my money to a company that cranks out the crap products I mentioned above.

The only bad thing that I can see coming out of it (which I think some implied in thier posts) is that it may give some the false sense that they can place a cam properly based solely on getting the green light from the cam... thumbs_down.gif

Edited by Rodchester

*brhssshhh* *click* "Crack is too big. Jackass." *click* *shhhhzoooop*

Other programmed comments will tell you when you are being a wuss, and provide real-time estimates of the percentage chance that will fall to a horrible death on the next move. *brssshhh* "One-hundred percent. Jackass." *brshhh*

It is a great idea but I think they screwed up?

The far edge of the green would lose some holding power.

I would be curious to see how much pull testing was done?

I wish Ray Jardine was reading he could back me up on this.

Anone in the know?