Canary is Scary Again

catbirdseat

so is the broken rock spot visible in any of these pictures?

I have climbed this route once but my memory is incomplete. I think it was scary though ... and infested with wasps.

I like the smoot picture, thank goodness modern harnesses do a better job of holding up trousers, no more embarrassing photos flashing the waistband of yer tightywhiteys!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lammy-

I don't know where you were. The picture of Eric shows the "traverse" (more like a single step) from the protectable crack start to the start of the main corner, above the unprotected bouldery alternative start. He could have placed a piece of gear under the lip right in front of his face had he wanted to.

No, I've never seen anybody falling off the start of the second pitch.

It would be not a lof of fun if you were guiding with a thinner rope and your obese client fell off at the start of the second pitch of Canary. If you had some slack and rope stretch, the client might be haning 30 feet down in space and scared to death. And if your belay was high enough on castle, you wouldn't be able to lower them to the deck.

Here's a shot showing the pro:

stepacross.jpg

The crack I was referring to that would take an Alien is just below and to the right of mvs' arm pit in this photo. At the very top of the photo is a flake with a slot facing down in which one can place cam of about 2 inches. Obviously, you would want a double shoulder length runner on it.

Here's a shot showing the pro:

stepacross.jpg

The crack I was referring to that would take an Alien is just below and to the right of mvs' arm pit in this photo. At the very top of the photo is a flake with a slot facing down in which one can place cam of about 2 inches. Obviously, you would want a double shoulder length runner on it.

Given your description, and with a double-length runner, you're still looking at a potentially painful landing if you fall. That pro is useless for anything but your mental state; even that is doubtful as it does nothing.

I saw an opportunity to get rid of the "boat anchor cam" right away. But I think that pro I have in the picture would prevent a pendulum across the face to directly below my belayer. It would keep the climber down in the 1st pitch cave, which I think is safer.

Always find the first chance to ditch the boat anchor, for sure. However, I see that if you slip when you step around climber's left and fall, your chin will come in intimate contact with the lip of the ledge. In this case, the longer fall might mean less injury in that you have a better chance of missing the edge of the ledge. It's all conjecture, though.

cbs, in my experience placing an alien as you describe eliminates one of the better holds right there, and is a psychological piece at best. If you fall with a piece there, you are going to head right down into the slot beneath your feet, which to me seems more ankle breaker than a longer swing back below the belay ledge.

The pro I ended up using is "none of the above". I place a #2 camalot in a smaller crack above the roof (out of view in this photo), directly above and slightly left of the belay ledge. You have to climb up to it a little off the belay to place it, then climb down again to the ledge and do the traverse.

Alex, I know about that one. Some people call it the "hidden crack". I agree with you that the Alien is "Psycho Pro" at best. It's a good place to put one's foot.

Greg, if I came out in support for hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet, you'd find a way to disagree with me. Now if I came out in support of gun rights...

Greg, if I came out in support for hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet, you'd find a way to disagree with me. Now if I came out in support of gun rights...

Actually, in disagreeing with you, I was simply putting my view out there on how I deal with those situations. It's all individual. I find that acknowledging the situation helps me to focus and put it out of my mind.

I believe the slot that Alex is talking about, and which Catbird calls the "hidden crack," is visible in the picture of MVS that appears just below Alex's crack about him on page 1 of this thread. It does indeed offer some sense of security here, but presents the issue of rope drag that Alex noted.