energy bars

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to take a big pocketful of Jolly Ranchers to suck on every few minues, which brings me to this idea... What would you all think of a GU-style hard candy, complete with the carbs, amino acids, vitamans, etc.? You could just load up on them and pop on every few minutes. Think it would work? Think it would sell? You heard it here first.

I like to take a big pocketful of Jolly Ranchers to suck on every few minues, which brings me to this idea... What would you all think of a GU-style hard candy, complete with the carbs, amino acids, vitamans, etc.? You could just load up on them and pop on every few minutes. Think it would work? Think it would sell? You heard it here first.

That sounds like a great idea!!!

I second the poster who said Pringles. I also like Thai food the night before and morning of. I'm serious. Chocolate is also good, in trail mix or as those mini bars/bite sized so you can eat exactly the amount you want at any one time. I also like Gu for anything over 12K feet. My preference for bars (quick energy, more sugar than they should have but yummy) are the Balance Gold or Balance Plus chocolate mint or Snickers-like bars -- they have a new line of crunchy cookie bars that are pretty darn tasty as well. Short of it is: whatever YOU MOST LIKE and will get you eating regularly. Some folks swear Thai food is too heavy to tote -- but man, do those leftovers fuel me well!

That sounds like a great idea!!!

Damn, I thought I had a million dollar idea going there... frown.gif

Nothing like a little Haggis to boost your heart rate!

Actually try some Landjager!!!!

It's like Pepporoni except 6" long and rectangular

You'll find it in the Deli sections of most Grocery Stores

Like most good German food, its loaded with fat so its a great boost for those high altitude days and it lasts really long before going bad. Try and get it fresh and your jaw will thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a little spreadsheet of energy bars and tested every one I could find. Eliminated lots along the way for various reasons, like having trans fatty acids or terrible taste (that's a personal choice of course) or breaks up into crumbs after being tossed around in the pack pocket or freezes too hard to bite on a glacier climb. The best two I found are: Chocolate Temptation (buy on-line at www.revivalsoy.com) and Clif Bars (I like all their flavors but as a non-coffee drinker I have to avoid the caffeine laced bars because eating one at 11 AM on the descent meant not being to sleep that night at home until late -a real bummer).

I got a free power bar at rope up. I ate it ice climbing this weekend. It was as gross as i remembered them being. not to mention you have to keep it warm in pocket or it freezes. thumbs_down.gif

However, it did provide some immediate energy and i was able to make the posthole out without collapsing from exhaustion. But so would have most anything else that tasted better HCL.gif

I've completely switched to Snickers bars now. That may change once summer comes and those get melty.

me too. 280 calories. mmm. just go buy them in bulk. During the summer they can get a little soft and melty, but it's still way cheaper than goo or anything else for that matter. they do freeze pretty solid during the winter though.