Carabiners: Light and Easy

EWolfe

What kind of 'biners do folks like?

Ease of clipping, weight being the most important factors.

I have a lot of hotwires that I like, and was thinking about replacing the ovals for racking gear with some oval wiregates. Anyone used them? Other good 'biners?

Discuss.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MisterE said:

I have a lot of hotwires that I like, and was thinking about replacing the ovals for racking gear with some oval wiregates. Anyone used them? Other good 'biners?

Discuss.

i like those dmm wirelocks cause they are sexy beasts like me.

wazzumountaineer said:

i like the trango light wiregates, they're the same wieght as neutrinos (36g) but are full size. easier to clip with gloves on. Trango just came out with a full strength, full size biner at 30g. the Superfly hellno3d.gif for racking stoppers i like petzl spirits as there's no notch to fight with.

Isn't there another one without the notch, that has a twist in the wire with a ball and slot at the end?

MisterE said:

wazzumountaineer said:

i like the trango light wiregates, they're the same wieght as neutrinos (36g) but are full size. easier to clip with gloves on. Trango just came out with a full strength, full size biner at 30g. the Superfly hellno3d.gif for racking stoppers i like petzl spirits as there's no notch to fight with.

Isn't there another one without the notch, that has a twist in the wire with a ball and slot at the end?

thats the freaking dmm wirelock wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Dru said:

MisterE said:

wazzumountaineer said:

thats the freaking dmm wirelock wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Hell, Dru. If ya did more than post silliness about them, maybe it would be more obvious. rolleyes.gif

Dru said:

MisterE said:

Discuss.

Yeah, you got that right...all scrawny, twisted w/ a ball trapped in their crack! yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Just kiddin'

RuMR said:

Dru said:

MisterE said:

Discuss.

Yeah, you got that right...all scrawny, twisted w/ a ball trapped in their crack! yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Just kiddin'

blush.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The new Oval Wire gates are pretty cool. If you are buying alot of extra biners for aiding I think they are worth it, you will get more biners for the $.

Ovals have some huge benefits in some cases (racking pins, tieing clove hitches, the gaurda knotbrake rappel...etc), but for the emost part I like nutrinos.

This should be in the Gear Critic... wave.gif

DMM ProWire

As light as Neutrino but with larger profile, easier to grab esp with bigger hands; has a 'hook' for the gate to engage (unlike the ball-and-socket of the DMM WireLock), but the hook is sleek and thereby less prone to snagging; the WireLock gate socket reported to sometimes get goobbered up in ice and slop, is PITA then. Trad hook of the ProWire stays clean; thus, did not get WireLock; do like ProWire. 37gm. Can't beat for the weight. Nice feel to the closing gate. Is good.

Crux said:

DMM ProWire

As light as Neutrino but with larger profile, easier to grab esp with bigger hands; has a 'hook' for the gate to engage (unlike the ball-and-socket of the DMM WireLock), but the hook is sleek and thereby less prone to snagging; the WireLock gate socket reported to sometimes get goobbered up in ice and slop, is PITA then. Trad hook of the ProWire stays clean; thus, did not get WireLock; do like ProWire. 37gm. Can't beat for the weight. Nice feel to the closing gate. Is good.

Should be good for Cracker - hs hands are big, so the offended women say... hahaha.gif

neutrinos...guess having small hands is good thing. i never have probs w/the gates on those.

picked up a couple of the DMM w/the twisted gates. don't really like them that well. maybe i'm just not used to them but that twist sorta feels funny to me.

I've been replaceing my old biners here and there with wire gates, mostly because I do alot more ice than rock climbing and the wire gate gates don't freeze up as bad. I have mostly Dovals[ OP?] and Hot Wires, plus a mixed bag of strays . What ever that is available when I have the cash to spend.

Mixing the new light wire gates with the new thin runners by Mammut[like a shoe string shocked.gif] is shaving some real weight from my old[ancient?] rack.