B-52 vs. Reverso

scrambler

I have several belay devices including a Trango B-52, which I intended to use on multipitch trad routes in its function for bringing up the second. Several other people who I know also purchased B-52s but eventually they stopped using this device due to their doubts concerning its breaking strength under a load. They still have the B-52s but actively use the Petzl Reverso since it has a more sturdy construction. I think the doubts about the B-52 is mostly perception since this device has undergone extensive testing and is CE certified. Yet, the device does show abrasive wearing on the aluminum where the anchor carabiner is attached. The thickness of the aluminum is estimated to be about 7 mm which will be reduced due to abrasive wearing. This device is lighter than the Reverso, which makes the B-52 great for alpine but it seems that doubts about the B-52's strength will plague it's acceptance over the Reverso.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by scrambler

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Beck, he'd know. yellowsleep.gif If you feel uncomfortable with a device, don't use it. yellowsleep.gif I use an ATC. Once problem with the Reverso is the solid retainer loop. When used as an auto-blocker, the blocking biner can snag on the retaining loop and not lock. This is too big a risk for me, so I don't use the device.

The presence of the solid retainer loop is the reason they use the Reverso over the B-52. It gives the Reverso redundancy in strength.

The problem with the blocking biner not locking the rope also shows up with the B-52. I suppose for this reason, Trango specifically calls for using a blocking biner that has a round cross section.

One problem I have found with the reverso is the metal can get razor-sharp on one side of the opening, so much so that it would seem to be dangerous to use it in the "high friction" mode diagramed in petzl's manual. I guess if you need more friction on rappel, a second biner does the trick.

ian brings up point i was, it seems reverso can get very sharp on running edges after as little as less than one season...

i was going to say Gigi, but will refrain from whispering "plaquette" anymore, very few here know what a sticht or plaquette can do for climbers...

not even clear if scrambler is clear here. is it wear from the "anchor" or the "brakebar" carabiner?

pause a moment, and take a good look at how these belay devices work, the cables do nothing other than keeping them on your rack....

i use a 3mm retainer cord on one of my stitch/rapell belay devices, it's not part of the belay equasion... cantfocus.gif

i'd stick with the body belay, the hip, the boot axe and the munter if you aren't at all clear on how these "devices" operate by adding a bend in the ropes...

Ok, I'm talking about using it in autoblock mode for belaying the second. The wear is on the part of the device where the anchor biner attaches. The situation is a multipitch rock climb, not a glacier climb.

PC150082.JPG

You loop the rope through and attach a braking carabiner (w/ oval cross-section) to right side (picture above). A carabiner goes through the left side to attach the belay device to a separate anchor.

PC150083.JPG

Do you see that the thickness of the anchor end is about 1 cm?

yes. i was already apraised of this.

so, the 1cm of aluminum, this worries you and your climbing buddies?

or is it the retaining cable? people have rapped and belayed with a pin on a non locking oval as well as plenty other rather questionable methods, i wouldn't worry too much about the B-52 unless you thought you were going to drop it!

and a brake bar carabiner should always be round. You were talking "brake bar" when you said anchor, sorry. I'm still following you, don't worry...

Snoboy posted this LINK to Trango's B52 FAQ, which addresses concerns about strength (they are 'machined from a 7075-T6 extrusion', not 'forged or stamped from 2000 or 6000 series aluminum') and wear (some words about how the anodizing will wear off but not indicating excess wear). Take that info for what its worth, I don't know shit about aluminum manufacturing. Good info there for lowering a second in autoblock mode, which is the original reason the link was posted.

David_Parker said:

One thing you should be aware of is that the B-52 needs 2 locking biners for belaying 2 climbers (seconding) in auto-block mode where the reverso still only needs one. That seems a little more complicated.

Huh? Both need two. One to block the rope, one to clip the device to an anchor. rolleyes.gif

Sphinx said:

David_Parker said:

One thing you should be aware of is that the B-52 needs 2 locking biners for belaying 2 climbers (seconding) in auto-block mode where the reverso still only needs one. That seems a little more complicated.

Huh? Both need two. One to block the rope, one to clip the device to an anchor. rolleyes.gif

Make that three for the B-52, (two could be locking, one non) and two for the Reverso. You are supposed to use two biners to clip the B-52 to the anchor when you are using it in autoblock mode with two ropes.

Not really complicated, but heavier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Trango has revised the design of the B-52. They have lowered and rounded the brake surface to reduce "biner shift" and they have made the metal thicker on the small end (used for clipping to the anchor).

59386.jpg

It was claimed that the reason for this design change was to provide more surface for the glue bond holding the keeper cable. It should be noted that in the original design, 40% of this metal could be worn away and the device still failed at above 13 kN. Anyway, those who worried about this have less to worry about.