B-52 vs. Reverso

scrambler

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b-52 is lighter and doesn't get a sharp edge on it, AND handles small ropes, so you don't need to buy a reversino. Therefore, it is better.
I've heard it said that it doesn't autoblock very well on small diameter ropes compared to the Reversino.

works like a charm on my 8mm ropes.

I like my Reverso too, but I can see its disadvantages. Mainly, it kinda does suck for small diameters. Like if you're cragging, and have to hold someone up who's dogging a route, you have to use a good amount of heft just to hold them in place on anything less than a 10.2 mm (or so) rope. And for free-hanging raps on skinny lines (<10 mm) it offers very little friction (a backup is pretty much mandatory). It locks up like a champ when using the autoblock feature, though.

A thought on the B-52 that hasn't been mentioned: It sucks for large diameter. It feeds terribly. I'd take the Reverso or ATC anyday over the B-52 for thick ropes (over 10mm) I use the reversino for skinny ropes, and in turn haven't used the b-52 for skinny threads. I should just get rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Reverso does indeed have a tendency to lock if you're not promptly paying out rope to your leader. And according to Petzl's manual, autolocking is compromised if my 8.4 mm double is icy, yet 8.4 mm is too large for the Reversino. WTF?! Do we need a Reversinette for 8.3-8.4 mm ropes?

Who's tried the Mammut Matrix? It's like a B-52 but needs only one biner on the anchor side regardless of whether you bring in one or two seconds, like the Reverso.

drC