How do you clean your gear?

Toast

I spent the weekend in an ice climbing clinic on the Nisqually ice field. Now my gear is all squeaky and full of silt. How do clean your locking biners?

I tried flushing out the screw gates with Orange cleaner and spraying with machine oil, but I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

Got any tips on how you would clean them?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast said:

I spent the weekend in an ice climbing clinic on the Nisqually ice field. Now my gear is all squeaky and full of silt. How do clean your locking biners?

I tried flushing out the screw gates with Orange cleaner and spraying with machine oil, but I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

Got any tips on how you would clean them?

Spray them with carb cleaner. That'll clean everything outta them. Then lube with whatever suits your fancy.

Toast said:

trask said: Spray them with carb cleaner. That'll clean everything outta them. Then lube with whatever suits your fancy.

hellno3d.gif

Trask, I didn't ask how you'd clean a used vibrator...

Dude, you use carb cleaner on your butt plug vibrators? Whatever, but you're a sick sumbeyotch -

I use carb cleaner on my guns when they're filthy.

sometimes you just gotta say fuck it and buy new gear.

ehmics suggestion of a miled degreaser simple green and hot water does work pretty good. i have used keylock lube too after cleaning. its a spray thats just a carrier and graphite. the carrier evaporates away.

I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

from here

"Testing done by the AlliedSignal Corporation indicates salt water, acetone, benzene, chloroform, freon, gasoline, kerosene, motor oil, mineral oil, paints and pine oil do not appreciably affect nylon and should not damage your rope.

Laboratory tests performed have shown no appreciable damage done to nylon fibers by contact with insect repellents containing DEET (Test #0559). "

• 3 weeks later...