Mt. Stuart

AARON1

A friend and I are planning a trip to Stuart and are taking our significant others along. They are non climbers and would not normally partake in a trip like this. So we are planning on hiking in to the South side and staying 3 to 4 days. Him and I plan on leaving the ladies in camp and climbing in the area.

My question is do you know of any place we can camp in and around the Mt. Stuart area?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOUNDS LIKE THE INGALLS LK BASIN MIGHT BE THE BET BET FOR THE WHOLE CREW. NICE LAKE AND CAMP SITES. I GUESS YOU COULD CAMP AT THE BASE OF THE W RIDGE BUT WATER WOULD BE AN ISSUE. OR DOWN IN THE INGALLS CREEK DRAINAGE.

erik said:

SOUNDS LIKE THE INGALLS LK BASIN MIGHT BE THE BET BET FOR THE WHOLE CREW. NICE LAKE AND CAMP SITES. I GUESS YOU COULD CAMP AT THE BASE OF THE W RIDGE BUT WATER WOULD BE AN ISSUE. OR DOWN IN THE INGALLS CREEK DRAINAGE.

Yes,

The basin below Ingalls Lake is a great spot to camp. You can hit the west ridge from there. The drop down from Ingalls Lake is not that much. You can camp just off the trail right on the creek.

iain said:

bring bug repellent. the plastic-melting, gene-mutating stuff. a gallon should be about enough. seriously, it's insane in the ingalls area right now.

WORD! The bugs are insane there right now. pitty.gif Your lady friends won't like you very much if you ditch them there. It is pretty there, though.

decrepit said:

What are conditions like on the West Ridge and descent route now? I'm going next weekend and I don't wanna take boots...

You'll waste your time taking Rock Shoes on the West Ridge. In my opinion it is mostly class 3. A good Rock Climbing Boot will get you up the ridge and down the south side of the mountain.

Great info! I'm gonna post here more often.

ncascademtns said:

You'll waste your time taking Rock Shoes on the West Ridge. In my opinion it is mostly class 3. A good Rock Climbing Boot will get you up the ridge and down the south side of the mountain.

Yeah, my only worry is that the fun factor may be low on this route. On the other hand, we're a couple of old farts who don't get out enough any more, and we're short of time, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks!

confused.gif

You probably wanna take Ingalls Pass to access the West Ridge, then Longs Pass on the way out. Are you planning on camping in upper Ingalls basin or at Ingalls Creek near where the Longs Pass trail is?

West Ridge times can vary quite a bit. Depends on how much roped climbing you do and your routefinding decisions. It's easy to get lost up there. The West Ridge sees its share of unplanned bivys, so your time could be 2 days. A somewhat fast time from car to summit is 6 hours. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and my time from summit to camp at Stuart Pass was 4 hours, partner took 6.

we were planning on camping in the basin just below the lake to avoid a carry over or retracing our steps back to ingalls pass. Is it advisable to be on the rock at sunrise to avoid this epic that everyone refers to, and how is it finding the cascadian couloir? I've heard there is snow still in, it's hard to believe after it's been so friggin hot here on the west side of the mtns.

If you camp at upper Ingalls Basin I would think you might as well pop up to the Lake and take Ingalls Pass out, but I could be wrong about that (it is not very far up to Ingalls Lake from there)

My advice about the W. Ridge routefinding is try to scope it out well from a good vantage like Ingalls Lake and Pass and make some mental notes about big things that you'll be able to discern when right below them.

Follow cairns from the summit to get to Cascadian Couloir. It's just on the other side of the East Peak. If you stay right on the crest initially there's a scramble path you can take that avoids traversing the snowfield directly below the summit. When we were up there 2 weeks ago the snow in the CC was pretty hard (i.e. easier to walk down talus unless you had crampons, unfortunately talus was not an option), though the day before at the same time of day the Stuart Glacier was casual. Probably something to do with the elevation difference.