I lost a good friend this week

EWolfe

Ted and had been friends for over 25 years... cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Man found dead in sunk vessel near Sitka

A Sitka fisherman was found dead yesterday after debris from his boat was located. He's identified as 41 year old Theodore Hahler.

The Coast Guard's Juneau Command Center picked up a satellite notification of an emergency signal at about 6:30 yesterday morning. It was coming from the west side of Kruzof Island, northwest of Sitka.

A helicopter sent to the scene found a fuel sheen and some debris along the shore line. Petty Officer Cory Cichoracki says enough information was found to identify the boat as the Ms. Everett home ported in Sitka.

Divers from the Sitka Fire Department were called in. They located the boat near Twin Point and found Hahler inside the pilot house.

The cause of the mishap is under investigation by the Coast Guard's Marine Safety Detachment in Sitka. Cichoracki says it looked like the weather in the area was okay at the time.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a life he had, though. His wife, Nina, (who it sounds like wasn't on the boat), is an alaska fisherwoman, and they have (had! frown.gif) a house on an island with only two other people. They also had a 40-foot sailboat in St. Croix, and had just bought some property down there.

So, every year they spent 6 months fishing in alaska and living on the island, and 6 months in St.Croix, sailing and building their house...

This is the first time someone close to me has died - I took the day off from work..

Thanks for the words, folks.

bigdrink.gif