Worst routes ever

Norsky

Aries Chimney at Index

what? i think this is a great pitch, even if a little short. it has great rock, requires good technique, takes good pro, and yet still scares most people ( evils3d.gifgrin.gif). i only wish it was twice as long, then it'd be a classic. funny, how such differing opinions about climb worthiness can coexist.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter said:

Chimney of Space on Mt. Washington (Oregon). Running water, tons of moss, no pro, chossy as hell and poor anchors. Luckily most people aren't dumb enough to climb it, so it isn't crowded.

oh come now, just because a route puts people in the hospital is no reason to go badmouthing it. cantfocus.gif

i have the hardest time thinking of a worse climb. it is nothing exceptional by cascades standard but i'd go with the NE Butt. of North 3 fingers. terrible bushwack on the approach, several hundred feet of vertical trees to begin with, wet (running water) and slabby gully (no pro, therefore 4th class), etc ... we bailed crazy.gif.

Many routes here are getting panned because of choss, but how can we say "worst" for choss. There are literally hundreds of horrible, identical, worthless piles of death at Vantage alone.

Aries chimney at Index? How can you say that Alex? That pitchlet is great fun and challenge. I really would be interested in hearing why you think it is so terrible. Have you done Beak Beak Beak? tongue.gif

Here's a couple of worthless ones that plenty of people seem to do:

The West Ridge of Thompson,

That dumb climb on the right corner of the Blackstone at Little Si.

Harlin Quarry just west of Corvallis. Drilled pockets, loose dirty rock and the locals use it as a shooting range. Pillars of Hercules could rank up there too. It is right next to the freeway and railroad tracks. loose rock, moss and minimal pro.

chucK said:

Aries chimney at Index? How can you say that Alex? That pitchlet is great fun and challenge. I really would be interested in hearing why you think it is so terrible. Have you done Beak Beak Beak?

Funny you should mention Beak Beak Beak. I climbed it last night. I thought it was kind of stupid.

As for Aries chimney, there is no doubt it is undeserving of "worst route" status, I just hate it. pitty.gif

Geesh, how about 'That .10d Route' at Smith? Apparently someone's eye for an aesthetic line caused them to overlook some of the shabbiest rock at Smith. Oh, it looks like some of the nice, solid red stuff, but it crumbles like the yellowest of SmithMud . First damn hold on the route, nice big undercling flake? Loose. All the footholds at the bottom? Loose. Innumerable other sidepulls and edges? Loose. And gritty. That bomber thank-God sidepull just above the mini-roof at the top? It's on the trail somewhere. Climb it soon before it turns into .13c, if you're dumb enough to climb it at all.

chucK said:

Here's a couple of worthless ones that plenty of people seem to do:

The West Ridge of Thompson,

That dumb climb on the right corner of the Blackstone at Little Si.

What's so bad about Thompson? It's a cool-looking mountain...

At Little Si, do you mean that super-short easy crack or the 5.8 bolted route with ledges?

Stick with the East Ridge of Thompson if you wanna bag a cool mountain. But I guess you could do worse than the West Ridge. Just a lot of work (long trail, ugly long choss gully) to get to a few mediocre pitches.

I looked up my Little Si submission: "Human Foot" (5.8 yellaf.gif)

HumanFoot.jpg

I thought the first pitch of The Back Road at Index was kinda cool. A sandbagged boulder problem, followed by a wafer-thin flake followed by a lightning bolt roofs feature thumbs_up.gif. Someone ought put an anchor right at the top of that part so you don't have to scrunge left through the bushes afterwards.

Hey Alex, did you go right under the big roof on BBB then turn the roof as per Newest Industry? That way is fun.

chucK said:

Hey Alex, did you go right under the big roof on BBB then turn the roof as per Newest Industry? That way is fun.

how else would you finish BBB? just did that a few weeks ago and didn't see any other way to go. (pretty cool climb, bottom is strenuous for the grade but the traverse and roof finish are neat)

Cpt.Caveman said:

Fossil Rock-

Reason- There aint nuttin else near there. But if you live and die in Tacoma you might visit. I'm not cappin on anyone that does or puts up routes there. It's just an opinion.

Some other shitty routes:

Anything in Toulomne Meadows or Lovers Leap smirk.gif

Ok everyone knows Fossil is a choss pile almost as choss as the Feathers, at least at Fossil the bolts looked trust worthy not that I would climb there again, once was enough , spooky look'n holds. shocked.gif

But what up with Lovers Leap,I dug those 400ft cracks with an easy walk off,and cool when the big ditch is hot.

Toulomne Meadows way cool , love that white granite, the thunderstorms were a bit much.

Dude you spoiled by Leavenworth? wazzup.gif

Beardsley Boulders, outside of Phoenix, are truly crap:

paint, broken beer bottles, garbage and fixed rugs everywhere. Almost no climbing, hotter than hell, and fuckin' ugly. The rock is slippery and sharp, and avoiding graffiti is the crux to the few scant problems you will find. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif