Chimney Rock, E. Face Direct

Rod_Xuereb

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rappelled with 2 50's so I can't help you much; my impression was that the terrain from the summit to the main ledge system was broken and offered good rap points. You could certainly make it work and wouldn't get stranded anywhere. Once you are on the ledge, it's a simple traverse then downclimb through the main gully system back to the glacier.

• 2 months later...

I finaly found my password so I will comment, for what it's worth. Rod and I didn't summit. Continuing in the Potterfield tradition, I took a spill on Chimney Rock. The length of the fall and the extent of the injuries certainly were not near what Peter experienced. My partner lowered me a couple hundred feet over a four hour period to the top of the heather ramp at 7,000ft on the east face direct route. Then he went for help. So I spent the night there with two broken feet. It was a thrill when I heard the helecopter coming after 18 hours on the ledge. There was no massive rescue launched; just the Huey and it's four crew members. But it was a bold manuever on their part getting me off, for which I am grateful. The chopper came in very close to the rock face in order to get the cable connected to the little t-bar I had to sit on. And it was a wild ride getting lifted off the ledge. So, after two weeks at Harborview and a couple months at a nursing facility, I'm hobbling around on crutches, waiting for weight bearing status on my left foot.

Ralph

catbirdseat said:

So what is it about Chimney Rock that brings on so many accidents? Just chance?

How many? I know of two, one of which made it to the cover of Reader's Digest. We had a close call on the descent, just before stepping onto the glacier. I watched a softball-sized rock rocket down a steep chute and come within two feet of killing my friend (group of Mounties above), but outside of that we thought the route was kind of fun. You can easily descend with a single 50m rope.

tread_tramp said:

I finaly found my password so I will comment, for what it's worth. Rod and I didn't summit. Continuing in the Potterfield tradition, I took a spill on Chimney Rock. The length of the fall and the extent of the injuries certainly were not near what Peter experienced. My partner lowered me a couple hundred feet over a four hour period to the top of the heather ramp at 7,000ft on the east face direct route. Then he went for help. So I spent the night there with two broken feet. It was a thrill when I heard the helecopter coming after 18 hours on the ledge. There was no massive rescue launched; just the Huey and it's four crew members. But it was a bold manuever on their part getting me off, for which I am grateful. The chopper came in very close to the rock face in order to get the cable connected to the little t-bar I had to sit on. And it was a wild ride getting lifted off the ledge. So, after two weeks at Harborview and a couple months at a nursing facility, I'm hobbling around on crutches, waiting for weight bearing status on my left foot.

Ralph

Jesus dude. Glad you made it out and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Pope's right about the rocks. On the 2nd pitch a boulder just missed Rods head, but didn't miss the rope. As I was pulling in the rope I see this tear in the rope, and I'm thinking, 'how we going to rap off. It was like all the way round the sheaf , and with just 6 strands of the core still intact. fortunately it was only 14ft from the end. So instead of taking it as an omen, we kept climbing with just a 45m rope. Fortunately that was enough to get me down to where I spent the night and Rod the rest of the way down to the glacier. For the last rap he did leave the rope tied in so he could past the moat. So there might still be a single strand hanging down the first pitch. Also left a couple pieces on the 6th pitch, where I fell. And a few pieces were left where I spent the night. So there's plenty of booty for the next team up. But I'm sure it's all gone by now.

Weigt bearing status on my left foot in two weeks. But I'm getting the hang of these crutches in the meantime