Quotes about climbing

dberdinka

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sobo said:

"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old, bold climbers."

Paul Petzoldt, founder of NOLS and 2nd ascensionist of the Grand Teton

Me thinkgs the Bird would dispute that one.

"> I am working on a research paper. My topic is: How Do Glaciers Move? Can you please tell me what you know about the movement of glaciers ?

Glaciers feel best when they have one movement per day. Some glaciers do just fine with fewer movements, but when they don't have movements for a long time the result can be quite bad. Glaciers which move much more frequently tend to have loose and soft terminal moraines (also called rock piles).

Glacial movement is almost always associated with the release of water. But sometimes glaciers release water without experiencing a movement." — Mike Garrison's answer."

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old, bold climbers."

Gaston,

I've just spent the first hour of my day at work trying to verify (by internet search) the source of the above quote. I couldn't find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I read it in a book many years ago, and it was attributed to Paul Petzoldt in that book.

By "the Bird" I'm assuming you mean Jim Bridwell. It could very well have been him, given his reputation as THE hard man of his day. Can you verify him as the source? If so, I will stand humbly corrected. wave.gif

sobo said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

Gaston,

I've just spent the first hour of my day at work trying to verify (by internet search) the source of the above quote. I couldn't find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I read it in a book many years ago, and it was attributed to Paul Petzoldt in that book.

By "the Bird" I'm assuming you mean Jim Bridwell. It could very well have been him, given his reputation as THE hard man of his day. Can you verify him as the source? If so, I will stand humbly corrected. wave.gif

It seems GL thinks that Jim Bridwell IS an Old/Bold climber, not that The Bird actually SAID that quote.

John Bachar is still alive too as far as I know. Maybe not terribly "old" yet, but certainly "older" and certainly bold.

As someone said on a different thread, "no points for reading comprehension"

tongue.gif

Alpinfox said:

sobo said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

Gaston,

It seems GL thinks that Jim Bridwell IS an Old/Bold climber, not that The Bird actually SAID that quote.

John Bachar is still alive too as far as I know. Maybe not terribly "old" yet, but certainly "older" and certainly bold.

As someone said on a different thread, "no points for reading comprehension"

tongue.gif

Alpinfox,

Well, I assumed that GL was questioning the attribution of the quote, since I had no reason to conclude otherwise. He may have thought (by way of an alternative) that I had not given credit to Bridwell, if he indeed had coined the axiom. I guess until GL weighs in with his intent of his post, we'll never be entirely sure what he meant.

However, I would agree that The Bird was a bold climber in his day (don't hear much about him anymore), and he is old now (must be, by the mere passing of years), so I still believe the axiom is true as stated. It all depends upon what one defines as the limits of "bold" and "old", doesn't it? fruit.gif

And as my parting shot, the "reading comprehension" shot I took on another thread a coupla weeks ago was due to some swift and deft editing of the previous post, before my reply was posted. I called "poor form" on that one! Little devil, that guy is! evils3d.gif

wave.gif

"It is horrible, yet fascinating, this struggle between a set purpose and an utterly exhausted frame."

---A. Conan Doyle

(actually he said this after observing the 1908 olympic marathon, but I like it for mountaineering)

You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself. ---Jim Whittaker

Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it. ---Sir Edmund Hillary

"In the mountains there are only two grades: you can do it or you can't." -- Rusty Baille

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"Pretty much the only people who ice climb are a handful of maladjusted geeks." -- Yvon Chouinard

"Ice climbing not like anything else. When it is perfect, it's better than the best combination of drugs and sex imaginable. When it's bad, you die." -- unknown

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun." -- Barry Blanchard

"They always tell you that you're supposed to learn from your mistakes? No, you're supposed to learn from somebody else's mistakes. It's a whole lot less painful." -- Beck Weathers, 1996 Everest survivor

"hikers are the ones below treeline." -- From cc.com...... yellaf.gif

sobo said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

Gaston,

I'm sorry sobo, but I was merely saying that Jim Bridwell ( the Bird) would dispute that there are no old bold climbers, and not that he actually said the line.

Tah.

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

Gaston,

I'm sorry sobo, but I was merely saying that Jim Bridwell ( the Bird) would dispute that there are no old bold climbers, and not that he actually said the line.

Tah.

Ahhh, but see this excerpt from an earlier post of mine, from above:

However, I would agree that The Bird was a bold climber in his day (don't hear much about him anymore), and he is old now (must be, by the mere passing of years), so I still believe the axiom is true as stated. It all depends upon what one defines as the limits of "bold" and "old", doesn't it?

Given the disparate and subjective definitions of "bold" and "old", would you say that The Bird is still a bold climber, when one considers the competition one would face in the sport in this day?

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

sobo said:

would you say that The Bird is still a bold climber, when one considers the competition one would face in the sport in this day?

Looking at his more recent achievements here , I'd say he's still bold. Just an opinion though.

bigdrink.gif cheers

After having read the page you directed me to, I was suitably impressed. I was not aware that The Bird was still going so strong! I stand humbly corrected, and beg forgiveness. You win!

All hail, The Bird! worshippy.gif

I have to dump my scrip to that rag Climbing. They don't cover shit anymore!

RuMR said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

"Fuck this rock climbing shit!"

- Dr. Flash Amazing

You fucking plagiarizer! GO GET YOUR OWN GODDAMNED QUOTE BITCH madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

How about something to the effect of having a gear sale in the parking lot as soon as you hike out of the park (another favorite of both DFA and a certain Curtain)?