ice tools

minx

mine were stolen last year and i'm beginning to start thinking about replacing the. i hated what i had...they just seemed too big for my hands...i know sounds weird to you guys but they did.

Any of the girls want to share what they've selected and why they like or dislike them?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

jeez, anything you've ever owned that HASN'T been stolen?

trask it was all one big theft. Now that i have ins. money i'm ready to replace stuff so stfu and don't mess this thread up. i actually want some legit beta.

minx said:

mine were stolen last year and i'm beginning to start thinking about replacing the. i hated what i had...they just seemed too big for my hands...i know sounds weird to you guys but they did.

Any of the girls want to share what they've selected and why they like or dislike them?

What tools did you have?

I had my eye on the cobras when they first came out. Unfortunately I couldnt grip it very well. The diameter is actually pretty much the same as the rage, but turned in a way that made it difficult to hold onto with gloves....so, I went with the rages.

I like the quarks a lot and might look into them for next season. The grip is pretty darn good. The swing feels a lot different (to me) than the rages or cobras...a good difference, though.

Doesnt cascade crags have an ice wall year round? Do they offer a selection of tools to try out? Maybe some folks around the site would lend ya some different varieties to try before purchasing.

I had my eye on the cobras when they first came out. Unfortunately I couldnt grip it very well. The diameter is actually pretty much the same as the rage, but turned in a way that made it difficult to hold onto with gloves....so, I went with the rages

i think the new bd vipers are really good. I have small hands and using thinner gloves makes them much more user friendly. i use either gardening gloves with rubber palm ( you can buy them for $5 at any hardware store) or verglass with poly liners. i fiound no differance as far as how cold your hands get, since with a thick glove you have to grip so much harder.

anyway, vipers rock

I've been very very happy with my BD vipers. I use them only on waterfalls as the large amount of shaft curve and pinky supprorts (albeit small) makes them less than ideal for the alpine. I have pretty small hands and I liked the grip the best out of most everything I tried.

-josh

I have Cobras and like them.

I stripped the rubber of my tool, for experimenting. It's not a big difference in diameter, but really makes a big difference in sensitivity and control.

I tried wrapping with hockey tape, that lets you make a contoured grip that fits your hand perfectly. Great for tricky stuff, worse than useless for long slogs because after a bunch of plunging the tool starts building up a fat, nasty white husk that's impossible to hold onto.

I went and did a bunch of stuff without the rubber, so far no damage to the tool or the owner.

I went and did a bunch of stuff without the rubber, so far no damage to the tool or the owner.

You should be more careful in the future, a fellow could pick up a nasty bug that way. hellno3d.gif

I too, have small hands so grip diameter was a concern for me. I have owned a pair of Pulsars and Blackbirds and liked the grip and swing a lot. Plus I found the picks to be significantly more durable than Black Diamonds.

I got a pair of Shrikes because all of my friends use BDs I and I thought it would be nice to carry only a single replacement pick between us on alpine climbs. I also like how easy picks are to replace. The small grip fits my hand well. I had straight shafts but traded Colin for his bent shafts. Colin's residual mojo has increased my climbing ability immeasureably.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

EastCoastBastard said:

I've got a pair of BD Black Prophets and will ( money permitting) be upgrading to some Rages this fall ( I like that upper-shaft curve). I also like the DMM flys and the CM Axars.

Hmmmmm....maybe ecb will sell you his prophets (that is , if you really liked 'em). Then he/she can buy some new ones and you gots yourself back a set of tools! smile.gif

I'm presently using a pair of Trango Captain Hooks. After a winters worth of water ice climbing on the East Coast I can safely vouch for their ability to eat up steep ice. They have a great curve in the shaft for clearing those bothersome bumps and the grip is ultra comfortable. There is an added bonus of having them on sale for $110 per tool on mountain gear's clearance shelf.

Minx,

I have been iceclimbing for 4 years now and have been extremely happy with my CM Axars. I have small hands and they have been perfect for me. My ex-boy used the Black Prophets and sometimes we would switch off, but I stilled loved my Axars the best. They swing great and I very rarely have to swing more than once to get a solid placement - unless, of course, the ice is rock solid. I definately have no complaints.

grin.gif