Wildthings Andinista

Ned_Flanders

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had an andinista for a few years. it has held up well, but i am reluctant to take it cragging all the time b/c it is light. the top lid does flop around a little, but i take it off for actual climbing and leave it at camp. the foam pad is quality. the shoulder staps slip a little, but not enough to be a big deal. overall, i like it alot, but if you are looking for a pack to also use cragging, i'd get something a little tougher.

I have used the Andinista for several years. It has little in the way of padding, which is nice in the winter but is a pretty harsh ride in the summer. It is no-frills for sure. So far, one of the zippers has busted off and one of the shoulder cinch straps has ripped out. Other than that it works well. However you will find me taking my Lowe Alpine Attack 50 more often just for the comfort and gadgets like a Platypus thing. The andinista is also overpriced in my opinion.

Im curious of those who have used the andinista...

I recently received a Granite Gear Alpine lite for a very small amount of cash. Its a similar design to the andinista. Ive only had a chance to use it craggin' thus far. Ive found with the back being so soft (the pad is the stiffest part), it tends to bend a lot and flop over some.

Ive packed and repacked it different ways. Because its so floppy it winds up putting a lot of weight on my shoulders. Ive considered attempting to put some stays (sp) inside the pad. Im not quite sure if it will help. Worth a try, though.

Do those of you with the andinista find floppyness to be an issue? Is it better when you pack it with a stiffer objects? SOme have told me its not meant to carry the weight I have in it. However, it IS a climbing pack, so it really shouldnt be a problem carrying just my climbing gear! confused.gif

i used an andinista for many years -it's a killer pack, super tough for how lightweight it is and with lots of great features as advertised...but: 1) the top pouch -fits poorly on the pack, especially when it actually has weight in it...never could figure out why WC didn't design it to fit snugger -i hardly ever used it and i enjoyed having the clearance as well. 2) i thought the removable foam pad to be worthless as a sleeping pad -too narrow for my shoulder blades, too thin for any comfort -cry.gif 3) i used my andinista for everything, and only that pack as i swore by it...i finally did a trip using a different pack with a real suspension system and that did it for me -it's strictly a minimalists dream.

If you want something light then check out the Cold Cold World packs. I have the Chaos, which is about the same size as the Andinista. I looked extensively at the Andinista before buying the CCW. I got mine at Marmot in Bellevue.

The foam pad is much larger/wider so may be a bit more useful than the Andinistas. I also think the lid is much better designed - yes, you can remove the Andinista lid but having a pocket for stuff you need in a hurry is useful. The Chaos has compression straps (no fancy zips). The CCW is fatter whereas the Andinista seems to get very tall as you load it up, I'm not sure it would be very comfortable or stable fully loaded, although it does carry more. The Andinista is lighter, although I'm very suspicious of manufacturer's quoted weights.

This GORP review is also interesting. There's some opinions and stats for capacity/weight etc.

Not that I would use either of these packs in the Cascades. I used mine up North with big loads and thought it carried OK even fully loaded but then I haven't used a framed pack in years. Other stuff worth checking out is Serratus.

If you need a pack larger than the Nozone and you're going to carry heavy loads then you might be better off with something with a frame. Just make sure that it has reasonable compression straps and that the hip belt isn't too bulky to get in the way when climbing.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=15001&FOLDER<>folder_id=587843&bmUID=1055522900396

I have one of these and I am *very* happy with it. great size, very light (ligher than an arcteryx khamsin 52 or 62) and good featuers, all for $100 real dollars. I used it on a 5 day trip and was quite happy with the comfort. It carries well and is quite useable.

• 1 month later...

I really like my Andinista.

The lid is quite nice - two *big* compartments, easy to rig as a fanny pack, and nice cut-out for the helmet. When the climbing starts I put it inside the pack, so no flopping around. But if you used it with the compression zippers closed then it is too large.

There is an inside compartment for a foam pad but the one that comes with the pack is rather crappy. I threw that out and either roll a ridgerest inside the pack or put a folded 3/4 length thermarest where the foam pad was. If you put your water bladder in the pad compartment then the water stays warmer and the pack feels very comfortable against your back.

I had to learn to appreciate the rigging on the outside of the pack, but it is perfect for crampons, tools and helmet. It's kind of neat to be able to take/put a tool from/in a holster without taking the pack off.

Methinks it would be really cool if Jon & Timmy came up with a way to link all these gear posts to the (not very popular) gear review database...