Bush is Da Man!

Peter_Puget

Good point, Iain. It is like another thread this morning where it was said that peak bagging is for geeks. Many of us climbers think we are god's gift to humanity or something and get all snotty about "lesser" climbs or "lesser" climbers. Mountain climbing, rock climbing, ice climbing, ski descents, even hiking -- it's all good. And it's all real enough to kill you.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:

Alpinfox said:

Oh wait... Hood southside isn't really climbing...

While many (do I say the majority?) of people on this board consider the south side a slog there are many who read this who are just getting into mountaineering and read these jeers as beta. I think it should be stressed that exactly one year ago on Friday 3 people died of massive trauma and 4 others were injured on the route. Many, many people have had their collective asses kicked by weather on the route and it claims by far the most casualties of any way up the mountain. It should never be taken lightly, and the mountain deserves your respect every time you set foot on it.

Iain,

You are correct of course. I was making a small joke that I think most people would appreciate as a joke. This thread is in spray after all.

So all you newbies reading this thread:

Don't underestimate Mt. Hood Southside route!

Now lets get back to the business at hand which is enjoying the photo I posted.

Crater Rock Next Weekend:

Circling_the_Kaaba.gif

chucK said:

I thought that you just had to have thick skin to post in spray. I didn't know you needed to be smart too. confused.gif

point taken.

disclaimer: climbing is dangerous, and the southside of hood is still climbing. don't needlessly endanger yourself or others. seek instruction from qualified people.

how's that? wink.gif

Little Girl in the Big Ten!

<Homer singing along with "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba>

"I get knocked down! I get knocked down again! They're never gonna knock me down!"

"I take a whiskey drink! I take a chocolate drink! and when I have to pee! I use the kitchen sink! I sing the songs that remind me I'm a urinating guy!"

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

People climb for all diffrent kinds of reasons. cool.gif Each should enjoy their own moment wink.gif

Matt & Muffy,

I suppose... but I (personal opinion here) think "peak bagging" as such is lame. I recognize that climbing a new peak is exciting and motivating, and I love doing it. It's really cool to see a new environment and challenge yourself with routefinding, unfamiliar flora/fauna, etc, but climbing a new route on a mountain you've climbed before is rewarding too. And so is climbing a route a second time in different conditions. Even Hood Southside can be a spanker (I've bailed on it twice).

I think the "peak bagging" mentality can get people into trouble and detracts from the enjoyment of climbing. It makes people focus too much on the goal (all 52 14'ers in Colorado for example) and not on the act of climbing. There are some really BORING 14'ers in CO and there are a bunch of AWESOME 12/13ers that hardly ever get climbed because they are not on THE LIST.

I suppose it's good for keeping crowds away from more interesting/enjoyable climbs, but it kind of makes me sad for some reason.

Spray On!

I hear you Fox. Stupidity and mediocrity piss me off. People always say "it doesn't affect you, why do you care?" Good question, and I don't know, but it does. We all pass judgement, it's human nature. I don't know, I just wanna climb.

trask said:

I wish to make fun of a Democratic leader. But I can't find one. Please help as I have many jokes and such to share.

Trask, we will have a democratic leader come 2004. The problem here is that our current "leader" is himself a walking joke, and as such attracts assorted barbs, jabs, and caps much like flypaper attracts its namesake insect.

Fox-

I agree with you to the extent that peak bagging isn't exactly my thing. But it is not a bad goal for someone to decide they want to climb all the Cascade Volcano's, or tag all the 9,000 footers in Washington or whatever, and just as worthy a goal as one that a "real climber" might set after identifying the six most appealing north faces in the range, or noticing a dozen three-star 5.11 muti-pitch climbs in the Index guidebook.

This is an amazing thread. First it started with classic cc.com political banter. Then, for the first time any of our fuzzy memories can recollect, it drifted to CLIMBING!! Then, not only that, I flip on the computer this morning to discover it drifted to safety in the mountains!!! Great balls o' fire! Now, its drifted all the way back to politics. What a fine ride its been!

Hey, its the little things in life you have to appreciate.

Oh yea, he's great:

In May 2002, Bush Administration representatives at the UN Children's Summit opposed the use of condoms for HIV/AIDS prevention.

In July, Bush withheld from the UN Population Fund $US34 million in funding for birth control, maternal and child care and HIV/AIDS prevention.

In August, he withheld more than $US200 million in funding programs to support women and tackle HIV/AIDS in Afghanistan.

Last month, the US killed a deal agreed to by 143 World Trade Organization members to allow developing countries without the ability to produce cheaper generic drugs for HIV/AIDS and other diseases to import generic drugs at lower prices from countries such as India, rather than the more expensive patented drugs from the US and Europe.

The US pharmaceutical manufacturing industry is one of the top 10 industry contributors to federal US political campaigns. Prescription drugs cost twice as much in the US as in other developed countries, and the industry makes three times the profit of other industries.

According to Dr Martha Campbell from the Berkeley School of Public Health, "the Bush delegation was young, pro-life, bright, well trained, legally savvy, deceptive and threatening . . . In the corridor we witnessed the US delegation threatening at least one high-level Asian delegate with his country's loss of US foreign aid and the loss of his own career".

In the wash-up, every country represented at the meeting defied the US, but all their time was taken up, according to Campbell, in "preventing damage by a 500-pound gorilla from Guam".

The US delegation demanded the deletion of a recommendation for "consistent condom use" to fight AIDS, even though a Berkeley study found condom distribution to be astonishingly cost-effective, at $US3.50 a year of life saved. In contrast, antiretroviral therapy costs more than $US1000.

This expensive option is obviously more acceptable to the religious fundamentalists who give the Bush Administration its moral dimension, and to the pharmaceutical manufacturers who want an even bigger return on their political investment in Washington.