sport climbing in the olympics

nervedoc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why i dunno??

though there is a cragup by chimacum and another crag out by port angeles right near the lower elwah damn.

talk to the guys at olympic mtneering for more detail.. good guys if not a bit spacy.

elwha is soft crumbly s facing sand stone and chimicum is conglomorate shit. with some access issues.

and there is some more sporto stuff along the stairacase rd outside of hooodsport. it sux too.

might as well go sporto at the north bed crags. rattlesnake is the best cause no one is there.

I believe that crag "up by Chimacum" would be on Mt. Zion. The rock is, as Erik stated, a conglomerate. I think it is welded tuff, like Smith Rock, as it is the same color and has the same pebbles in it. It faces south, and what I saw up there was about 80-200 feet high. I used to do some top-roped climbing up there with groups of "hoods in the woods" from Washington state correctional facilities. On my last visit, there were a few bolts here and there and somebody had done some work on a trail. The south facing mountainside has a Rhododendron forest on it.

As far as I know, there is not enough there to draw a crowd, but I'd suggest checking into any "access issues" so that if you go up there, you won't add to some misunderstanding with a land manager. I believe there used to be someone associated with an outdoor shop in Port Angeles who knows about the area.

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:
Whew! When I read the title of the thread, I thought sport climbing had made it to the Olympic games!

yeah phil, those are the same olympics my friend will be guarding rolleyes.gif" border="0

ok i have to tell the story for everyone: so we're driving someplace and talking about the usual bs on the news and i mention that this guy i know who is in the national guard is getting called up - but the good news is he's going to be guarding the olympics. so phil and the other passenger (dbb i think) go on for five minutes about how can he guard the olympics before i realize they thought i meant the mountains and not the winter ones in SLC. [hell no]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: gregm ]

I like the sea stacks out on the coast. The barnicles really grip my Teva's and the bird shit looks like chalk. The rock is usually slipperry and crumbles when you pull on it. Needless to say I pay no attention to the grades. Besides many routes are 5.13b at high tide and a 3rd class at low! There's often a forest at the top that requires bushwacking for the true wilderness feeling. The Olympic Pennisula rocks!

Someone glued holds all over the new visitors center at Hurricane Ridge. You just can't bolt those routes 'cause your in the Park.

Sport climbing in the Olympic Games? Ain't gonna happen. Generally you won't find motor sports in the Games, and how are these guys going to sink bolts without a power drill? How are you going to have sport climbing without bolts? Ain't gonna happen.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Sport climbing in the Olympic Games? Ain't gonna happen. Generally you won't find motor sports in the Games, and how are these guys going to sink bolts without a power drill? How are you going to have sport climbing without bolts? Ain't gonna happen.

The routes would be bolted beforehand the same way they use powered drills to build the chairlifts and ski jumps.

... I think sport climbing IS making it into the olympic games as a exhibition sport in the next summer games, the next step being full medal status the following olympiad. Part of a trend by the IOC to keep the olympics popular. No word yet on if the new sport "Survivoring" gets into the mix...

Sport Climbing in the Olympics...

There is some stuff in the Elwah drainage just outside of Port Angeles. There are a few routes on a rock on private property above the town of Chimicum.

Unfortunately all the routes out there are the equivalent of climbing on hard mud with bolts in it.

The guys at Olympic Mountaineering in Port Angeles are responsible for most of the route development on the Peninsula. You could give them a call and see if anyone's gotten around to putting together some kind of guide.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
chizled holds. what a great designer 5-finger pocket right in the middle of this otherwise blank section, and conveniently located for posing while clipping the bolt. not that i ever even been to farcil rock...

Although I did not see chiseled holds I did see bolt on gymn holds. Check em out! Heheheheheheh

This is RURP. What is this lame talk of sport-climbing in the Olympics. If this is so, I will protest that there must be a Big Wall category for real climbers. Who would want to watch a crowd of sport climbers when they can see some real drama? Especially if they make it during the winter olympics.

RURP has spoken.

Not to bust anyones bubble but I have to say that the Lower Elwaha has some sick routes. There just what the aspiring big wall climber want to climb on. Runout choss, But if you have the stones and you crank solid ten you can have lots of fun, two very steeeeppp 12's a fifteen foot offwidth roof that is worth the trip by itself---but you better be cranking, Several 11's lots of good heady 10's even a two pitcher. Climb with caution as things tend to be on the dirty side even though we try our best, watch out for the ocasional boned clip.

Without bolts this place would not exist so have some tolerance, it sure beats driving four hours. This is not your lycra clad fairy clipers hangout. You will only see crazy logger's kids messing around and board locals rope soloing. But in the right eyes she has has some serious goods. Come on over we need more traffick bring your helment and your broom and have at it.

Chimicam is not worth the bother unless you bring your drill----but then the spirits of the indians that hurled themselves off the thing to avoid capture might tourture you forever---better stone but way more sacred. (more than once I have stumbled upon traditional dressed folks chanting and dancing at the base) best to leave that place alone. The ones that are there look hard. The guys in PT might have a different view but we never see them our dirrection anyway.