climbing music

miker

OK, folks It is Monday, most of us are back at work. Here is something for you to waste some time on.

What music directly or indirectly makes you think of climbing? Not what music do you like while climbing, we had that discussion, this is actual themed/related songs.

The song I will throw out that made me think climbing even though it is not exactly about that is BNL's "When I Fall". Here are the lyrics. Oh and I guess John Denver's Rocky Mountain High would fit in this category too. wink.gif" border="0

When I Fall

(words by Steven Page & Ed Robertson, music by Ed Robertson)

I look straight in the window, try not to look belowPretend I'm not up here, try counting sheepBut the sheep seem to shower off this office towerNine-point-eight straight down I can't stop my knees

I wish I could flyFrom this buildingAnd if I should tryWould you catch me If I fall? cool.gif" border="0

My hands clench the squeegee, my secular rosaryhang on to your wallet, hang on to your ringsCan't look below me, or something might throw meCurse at the windstorms that October bringsI look in the boardroom; a modern pharaoh's tombI'd gladly swap places, if they care to dive They're lined up at the window, peer down into limboThey're frightened of jumping, in case they survive

I wish I could step from this scaffoldOnto soft green pastures, shopping malls, or bedWith my family and my pastor and my grandfather who'sDead

(chorus)

Look straight in the mirror, watch it come clearerI look like a painter, behind all the greaseBut painting's creating, and I'm just erasingA crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece (chorus)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

04Bottom

My compassion is broken now. My will is eroded,and my desire stolen and it makes me feel ugly.I'm on my knees and burning.My piss and moans are the fuel that set my head on fire.So smell my soul burning.I'm broken, looking up to see the enemy.I have swallowed the poison you feed me ...but I survive on it,and it leaves me guilt fed, hatred fed, weakness fed..and I feel ugly, and dead inside.

Shit adds up at the bottom.

You've left me no choice but to go inside and rebuildwhat's broken.Too much, too far, too late to lie down now.I must arm myself to fight youby making weapons out of my imperfections.It's all I have left.There's no other choice.I'm shameless, nameless, nothing, and noone now.But my soul must be iron for my fear is naked.I'm naked and fearless.But I'm dead inside.You see.. shit adds up, now I'm dead inside.Hatred, weakness, and guilt keep me aliveat the bottom.

this song is like my biggest motivator period. i can recall all the times in my head when i have recieted the lyics and then exploded into a raging animal to succed. i really think i have read too much mark twight.

Well, I don't think you guys actually read the first post. Anyway I think of climbing when I hear the "last of the mohicans" soundtrack.

Songs I like to have while climbing either real or in my head are:The Prince, Metallica(not the formerly-known-as-guy)Highway to the danger zoneHighway to hellFuneral March of the Marionettesand of course Danzig's Mother

How about- "The mountain wins again" by the Blues Travelers? I often hear "we're in this together now" BY Nine Inch Nails, playing inside my head while I'm doing something that involves large amounts of suffering. Also, I like to sing Bob Marley songs while I'm very gripped on a climb- everyone who climbs with me knows that when I start singing, I'm usually scared shitless!

Danzig's Mother? Is she friends with Stiffler's mother? But seriously folks, you wanna "get down", I mean really "get down" and "pumped up" for clippin', hangin', combin', dippin' and clippin' again? CAPTAIN AND TENNILLE! Crank up "Muskrat Love" when you're getting stoked for that dyno to the mono-doight or workin' on your hype in "iso".Check 'em out:Craggin' Motivators [big Drink]

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Dwayner ]

Any Kanuccck who denies the presence of the Hip's "Phantom Power" or "Day for Nights" among their most important climbing/road trip memories be lyin. I have a profound association with "thompson girl" and the Valley. "this lattitude weakens my knees . . "

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: jordo ]

Maybe one of our Oprah fans could help me understand why the following lyrics inspire me to climb (Peter? Sexy Cocoa?).

"Get out of that bed, wash your face and hands. Get out of that bed, wash your face and hands. Get in the kithcen and make some noise with the pots and pans. I believe to my soul you're the devil in nylon hose. I believe to my soul you're the devil in nylon hose. The harder I work, the faster my money goes. Shake, rattle and roll."

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:
Oh yea, when I start sloggin up a mountain I like to whistle the imperial march from star wars. Sometimes when I get up high I even wheeze like Vader.

Holy cow, I do the exact same thing. The Imperial March has stuck with me since the third grade, and gets airtime during boring slogs, dicey frozen mud climbing, and everything in between.

Any cheesy song from "The Sound of Music" is good too: "climb every mountain", "the hills are alive, etc." Oh I'm real fun.

--Michael