SEWS, SW Couloir beta?

Dustin_B

Has anyone done this route this time of year (i.e. just after Hwy 20 opens; I'm optimistic it will open soon)? How much snow/ice is typically on this route? Guesses for this year? What kind of pro; just rock pro or screws too? I know this is an easy rock climb in the summer; do you think there would be much mixed climbing this time of year? I haven't done much mixed climbing (well, none actually); is this a good first climb? Thanks for the help.

--Dustin

wave.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DUSTIN ALL THINGS CONSIDERED THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BEGINNER ALPINE CLIMB. THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROCK CLIMBING. MIGHT BE AT THE CHOCKSTONE IN LOW SNOW CONDITIONS AND THERE IS A LITTLE BIT EXITING THE COULIOR.

MAYBE A SCREW OR TWO. A PPICKET FOR POSSIBLE SOFT SNOW. AND SOME STOPPERS SHOULD GET YOU THROUGH.

PRETTY STRAIGHTFORWARD.

ACTUAL IN THE SUMMER IT IS A CHOSS GULLY, THE SW ARETE TO THE RIGHT OF THE COULIOR IS A SUPER FUN JAUNT. IT IS ALSO THE DECENT ROUTE.

MIGHT WANT TO BRING A FEW EXTRA TIED SHOULDER LENGTH AND PERFOM EARLY SEASON ANCHOR MAINTENENCE!

HAVE FUN!

I have climbed this route in May and June, and actually never encountered ice, per se -- but have encountered lots of firm (and some fluffy) snow. I'm sure ice is possible, but I just haven't encountered it. I'm curious who has seen ice on this route, and at what time of year.

Both times I climbed it, the chockstone was buried in snow, and not even visible. We walked right over it.

I would say the actual crux is climbing the snowy rocks (quite easy when dry, but slick when wet/snowy) exiting the couloir and attaining the summit area.

Beware the very corniced snowpatch overhanging the East Face shocked.gif at the very top of the couloir!!! I've seen footprints leading out onto it before . . .

This is a great climb in an awesome position. Approaching via the hairpin (rather than slogging up the blue lake trail) early in the morning gives good firm snow to hike up on and a great glissade back to the car . . . Mo Fastah mo bettah!

See attached image of route if you like.

Have fun,

Steve

159183-muckemups.jpg.a31c57a9fd21ef2beacb411803582c3d.jpg

Edited by goatboy

I'm sure ice is possible, but I just haven't encountered it. I'm curious who has seen ice on this route, and at what time of year.

I did the route the day the road opened in 98 (early April). It was in the 20's and there was a short stretch of water ice (50') high on the route where it bottle necks down. The rest of it was good "styrofoam". An outstanding outing in these conditions.

I did this route in April 1994 as a snow climb. If you go right after the hiway opens you'll encounter no difficulties. a single axe and crampons should get you through - though there is a spot where the snow gets pretty thin and you might have to scratch up some lower angled rock.

Here is a pic:

IMG20.jpg

Dustin_B said:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like just an ice axe (for the approach) would suffice if we run into any short stretch of ice on route. It doesn't sound like there is any need to bring a second tool, or is there? How steep does the "firm snow" get?

Mostly 30-degrees, steepest part is in the 40-45 degree range as I recall -- the route starts off steep, then kicks back in the middle above the chockstone, then steepens again through the upper part where it narrows. The upper part of the route is the most aesthetic part.

Yes, I'd think one axe would do fine for many folks, thought I've seen people use two tools for this route. I'd take one.

Hope you have a good trip and post a trip report.

Steve bigdrink.gifthe_finger.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

So do you think I the crews would care if you rode a bike up the portion of the road they have already cleared? I guess on the weekends they aren't even there. It seems to me it would fall under the same guidance as in the winter; you are on your own.

• 3 weeks later...

from the DOT:

"Washington Pass"

"North Cascades Highway"

Eastside Progress Week of April 10, 2003

North Central Region, Maintenance Area 3

The North Cascades Highway is scheduled to reopen at 11:00 AM on Monday, April 14th barring unforeseen weather. The highway clearing operation has been completed. There may be intermittent closures over the next few weeks based on weather conditions.

the_finger.gif

scot'teryx said:

It was in great shape today

Our 3 person team and another party of 2 that went up as we came down were the only ones up there. Many snowboarders and skiers though. The skiing was not that great though.....

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll be soloing it Sunday.