beginner looking for boots

bajema

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REI doesn't carry crampon compatible boots anymore. Last time I was in there asking for them, the salesman didn't know what crampons were. He thought I was looking for snowshoe compatible boots. It's a sad thing indeed.

I see you're located in Lynden. Isn't that near the border? Go to MEC in Vancouver. Good prices, your US dollar goes farther, and I believe they still carry a variety of crampon compatible boots.

??? Last time I was in, they had the plastics up on the wall. Just look for brightly colored plastic boots, or REALLY expensive leathers, and that should lead you to the crampon compatible. in reality all boots are crampon compatible. just depends on the crampon. Perhaps you are thinking rigid cramp, step in, with heel and toe bails, as in a technical ice climbing crampon. Go talk to Jim Nelson at Pro Mountain Sports.

Hiromi said:

REI doesn't carry crampon compatible boots anymore. Last time I was in there asking for them, the salesman didn't know what crampons were. He thought I was looking for snowshoe compatible boots. It's a sad thing indeed.

Wow, that's amazing. A sign of the times.

Yep, get a good set of Italian leather boots. I just picked up a set of LaSportiva Glaciers. They're modest in weight, not too stiff, not too flexible, comfortable... and they fit me. Last point muy importante! These things are quite versatile, have a good snow tread, will be suitable for alpine ice, hiking off trail, and have good high ankle support for talus fields. They're probably fine for any of the volcanos around here if these are the only boot you had.

Dummy Score: ****

I've seen a lot of people with the Salomon SM Lite's. SM Lite's at REI People seem to like them, they have a heel counter (not fully step-in compatible, but "Newmatic" compatible), and they're only $180. The most important thing, however, is whether or not they fit. If you're down near Portland, I think they have some good boot fitters at the Mountain Shop.

Some of the Saloman boots are extremely stiff. You don't need to get full shank ice climbing boots to wear with crampons. The new aluminum crampons work with any boot. Get a "3/4 shank" boot [in reality, no one uses steel shanks anymore-all are nylon and full length, but of varying thickness-3/4 shank means very stiff but not the stiffest]. Go to REI and ask them who their most experienced boot fitter is and insist on this person even if you have to come back. There are people at REI that don't have a clue and others that do know what they are talking about.

kinda funny story 'bout REI and boots.

One of my redneck buddies was planning to climb Rainier one year and decided to break down and get some mountaineering boot. So the shoe guy at REI refuses to even let him try on leather boots cause nobody can possibly climb Rainier in leather boots! Crist Almighty your feet will freeze solid and you will die! So he got some Makalus (from another REI) he really likes (narrow low volume foot) and climbed Raindawg in comfort. At the next REI he told them he needed something for hiking up Mt. Si.