dropped biner

Bill_Simpkins

I dropped a BD neutrino from about 30 feet onto sandstone yesterday. It bounced around a few times. Looks solid under inspection. The neutrinos are pretty light, I can't imagine them hitting with much force. I know a life is more important than 8 bucks, but if its good, I would hate to toss it.

What would you do?pretend it never happenedmark it and use it for my waterbottleits junk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Maclean of BD tested a bunch of biners, dropped and found at the base of ElCap, etc...

The batch came out the same as a regular batch. Three sigma blah blah blah - if you don't count the ones with obvious visible damage.

I don't have a reference to the results, this is the best of my memory.

RuMR said:

cracked said:

Don't you put a HELL of a lot more force on a biner during a fall? Would you stop using a biner because you fell on it?

Um...yeah, total force is bigger, total point loading is not bigger...

I guess that would depend what it was clipped to. Imagine the biner clipped to a bolt, so that the loading is only on the biner along the thickness of the hanger. I bet in a fall, the max local stress on the biner would be pretty high.

There's been a lot of controversy over this issue. The idea of hairline fractures is bogus with the current materials for carabiners. It was much more of a problem with the old steel biners. Those are susceptible to hairline fractures and showed up under x-ray. Aluminum either dings, remains intact, or shears. If you don't see any visible deformities upon close inspection then I wouldn't worry about it.

The only carabiner I've actually had to retire was a BD Hotwire. I took a 40' clean aid fall on it which happened to also get cross-loaded. shocked.gif The sight of the gate bent open 20' below the piece was more horrifying than the fall. hellno3d.gif I keep it as a reminder so now everytime I unclip my water bottle from it I remember my luck. grin.gif

snoboy said:

Andrew Maclean of BD tested a bunch of biners, dropped and found at the base of ElCap, etc...

The batch came out the same as a regular batch. Three sigma blah blah blah - if you don't count the ones with obvious visible damage.

I don't have a reference to the results, this is the best of my memory.

I believe Chris Harmston was the one who did the testing. I agree with your memory of this testing.

depends, I use some dropped biners for bail biners when I get my sorry ass on a sprot route that's too hard for me.....keep em on my chalk bag until I need em.

I dropped one off Outerspace a few pitches up (along with the waterbottle it was attached to) a couple of years ago. The exploding water bottle was cool to see....scared the hell out of the goats. The biner looks undamaged, but that one's staying at home permanently...just don't trust if for some reason.

This kind of falls along the same lines but a couple months ago I was hammering a pin into some alpine choss, clipped carabiner/sling to it, decided I wanted to smack a couple more times for good measures and accidently smacked the carabiner a couple times with my ice hammer. After inspecting it later I noticed a couple dings. I think its fine to use but what would other people do? Retire it? Use it as a bail biner? Has anyone actually had a carabiner fail or break in a fall and why?

web.mit.edu/16.62X/www/Okal_Marianne_622.pdf

web.mit.edu/16.62X/www/Graham_Jon_622.pdf

aluminum fatigues to failure under cyclical loading.

The higher the load the fewer cycles needed to fail,

the lower the force the more cycles needed. There is

no lower stress limit. These people found that applying

a load similar to a 220lb person taking a factor 2 fall

they needed at a minimum close to 200 cycles to break

a closed biner. Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

new carabiners break, old carabiners break ... it's all sketchy.