What is the difference between hiking and climbing

allison

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I like to hike. it's fun, and is better exercise than walking on the city streets.

depends what you are looking for on the city streets!!!1

blush.gif set myself up there didn't I ? oops blush.gif I just ment breathing cleand air beats the hell out of smog. And I would rather look at trees and rocks than people and houses tongue.gif

erik said:

I like to hike. it's fun, and is better exercise than walking on the city streets.

blush.gif set myself up there didn't I ? oops blush.gif I just ment breathing cleand air beats the hell out of smog. And I would rather look at trees and rocks than people and houses tongue.gif

What smog???; and Eugenes got more trees, and old trees to boot, than most other cities/towns I've ever been to... Do we even live in the same town?

But really, on to subject, you can hike to the top of dimond peak, but most would claim to climb it... hands? how could you use your hand on that one? I think it is a matter of elvation/distance... if you travel a short distance, but gain a lot of elevation, your climbing the terain...

Fejas said:

erik said:

What smog???; and Eugenes got more trees, and old trees to boot, than most other cities/towns I've ever been to... Do we even live in the same town?

But really, on to subject, you can hike to the top of dimond peak, but most would claim to climb it... hands? how could you use your hand on that one? I think it is a matter of elvation/distance... if you travel a short distance, but gain a lot of elevation, your climbing the terain...

even you get acosted by car exaughst whe walking down river road or coberg at 5:pm. granted it is way worse other places and once you get on the bike path the cars all but dissapear... but Pisgah is way better smile.gif

Fejas said:

erik said:

I think you're confusing smog with the omnipresent cloud of cannabis smoke and petuli oil that always hovers over Eugene. Sometimes you have to go "hiking" or "climbing" up the nearby local "mountains" just to get out of it. yelrotflmao.gif

specialed said:

Fejas said:

erik said:

I think you're confusing smog with the omnipresent cloud of cannabis smoke and petuli oil that always hovers over Eugene. Sometimes you have to go "hiking" or "climbing" up the nearby local "mountains" just to get out of it. yelrotflmao.gif [/quote/]

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOO TRUE.... I herbay patition to change the name of Mount Pisgah to HILL Pisgah fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif damn hippies wink.gif

True that muff, but if you've ever landed at the air port in Palm Srpings, on your way up to Jtree, and seen the fog come through the valley from LA, puke.gif ... to see the wall of dark orange fog roll out into the desert... so thick infact that cars on the freeway have to turn on the headlights, and the sky gets dark and you can't tell what time it is because it apears to be an early sun set... it is one of the growsest things i've ever seen... makes me proud to live in the north west, and not in sothern Cali... puke.gif

bigdrink.gif

Fejas said:

True that muff, but if you've ever landed at the air port in Palm Srpings, on your way up to Jtree, and seen the fog come through the valley from LA, puke.gif ... to see the wall of dark orange fog roll out into the desert... so thick infact that cars on the freeway have to turn on the headlights, and the sky gets dark and you can't tell what time it is because it apears to be an early sun set... it is one of the growsest things i've ever seen... makes me proud to live in the north west, and not in sothern Cali... puke.gif

bigdrink.gif

ummm no not realy. they don't realy let me leave the valley.... like EVER cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif don't get me wrong... I loe it here and all. but travel would be a nice thing wink.gif (sniffle)

specialed said:

I think you're confusing smog with the omnipresent cloud of cannabis smoke and petuli oil that always hovers over Eugene. Sometimes you have to go "hiking" or "climbing" up the nearby local "mountains" just to get out of it. yelrotflmao.gif

Yeh, Yeh!!!

you got it fingered out perfactly... cry.gif

cracked said:

I ski Diamond Peak easily, so it isn't a climb. I wouldn't call South or Middle Sisters climbs either. Washington, Jack, and Jefferson are climbs though. I prefer the Crux over the rock on the volcanoes any day though.

I prefer the "climbing" on the sketchy rock conditions, of the more ridged volcanos... but even though its just a difficult hike to the top of the others, does not mean you don't climb them does it? I still think that if you raise, lets say 2200ft or more in elevation, after traveling, lets say 1.8 ml., then it's climbing... a ratio of 2200/1.8 or more I would consider climbing...

catbirdseat said:

Sure seems like a lot of posts for such a boring subject. BTW, this all got started at Pub Club last night. My two cents worth is that it all overlaps. Two tier system:

Class 1-3 hiking (includes occasional use of hands)

Class 4-5 climbing

Three Tier system:

Class 1-2 hiking

Class 2-3 scrambling

Class 4-5 climbing

Under this system, ascending Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak under the traditional routes might be considered a hike.

Maybe climbing is different than hiking becuase climbing has grades whereas hiking does not........